Taxation on my UK Pension

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
pookie

Post by pookie »

sargeant wrote: Big boy mix n match is exactely right for retirement i did that but same as above for renewal, Dont know for marriage.
So, what you are saying here is the "mix and match" is only applicable in the 1st year of a retirement visa? After that you need to show 65,000 Baht a month, regardless of what you might have as "collateral"?
And, can you safely piss the 800,000 Baht up against the wall if you wanted to, and just show the 65,000 a month income (in the second, and subsequent years)?

Pookie
The views expressed here are my own.......and bloody good they are too !!!! :)
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Sorry pookie you lost me with the word collateral i normally add the word damage and that means dead innocent bystanders to me

I can only say that mix n match is allowed i had 100k in the bank plus my pension and for the 2nd and 3rd renewals i have had to show a bank book with my 70k from the uk in monthly lumps
At the initial issue mrs sarge was told 65k she did as ordered but at 1st renewal she was told to have 4 months with 70k to show 800k for the year so now she puts all 70k every month 2nd renewal all singing all dancing no problem
I do not have the 100k in the bank as it was used as the deposit on mrs sarges mortgage
I wont guess because i dont want to lead anyone astray and i dont want to give wrong info i am only recounting my experience
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks everybody for the responses to date - very helpful. Maybe I should explain my position a little further.

The earliest I can consider moving to Hua Hin is August 2008. If the value of the Baht stays constant against the value of the Pound I will have no problems at all in qualifying. I am just trying to have a fallback plan in place should the unthinkable happen (I have experienced 32 Baht to the Pound in the past).

I think you're telling me to go for a retirement visa. Therefore, if I simply keep 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account indefinitely, that should be OK (unless the Thai authorities move the goalposts again - something that none of us can plan for). Is that right please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Sorry as well, Sargeant, the goalposts seem simple to me.
If you want to retire, you need 800k, for 3 months prior to the application, in a Thai bank account. Or, a income, verified by your Embassy, of 65k a month, or a combination of the two, whichever is greater.
If you want an extension on the basis of marriage, then the deal is now an income of 40k a month. The 400k in a Thai bank account only applies if you had an extension on this basis prior to Oct 1st 2006.
If I have got this wrong, then please advise me and other readers. It's quite simply my understanding of the regulations now,
BB, you'll have to show activity on the 800k. Not surprisingly, immigration will frown upon the lump sum sitting in your bank, in the second year. "What have you been living on, etc?".
Those people lucky enough to have retired/got married and received their extensions prior to Oct 1st are "grandfathered" in on the old regulations.
Again, that's my take on it all. I'm not an expert. A visit to your local - in Thailand - immigration office, may change those goalposts. It's up to them, within a reasonable framework.
Hope that helps.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

lomu,
You have described it exactly as I now understand it, but as it stands now we don't have anyone posting their experience since the changes, which is what we really need to see what happens in practice. One other thing I would add is that I would imagine, for the retirement visa, if you had 800k left sitting in the bank but also had an income into a Thai bank of, for example, 30k per month that you could also show was what you were living on, then it is likely there would be no problem?
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Lomu i know nothing of marriage (jeez the thought makes me sweat)visa as i said in that cat i was surmising

As for after Oct 1st for retirement visas I have just run my mate through it no prob at all Oct 7th on the thread retirement visas new problems i went through his tourist visa nong khai his letter from embassey and all the advice i gave him and what the thai imm hua hin told him to do
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomu,

Thanks, I was thinking of leaving the money in the bank, and just taking money out of my UK bank via ATM as I needed it. I thought that I read on this board a few weeks/months ago that ATM receipts were considered valid evidence by the immigration office.

However, I also read that I should live off the 800,000 Baht for 9 months, topping it back up to 800,000 Baht 3 months before visa renewal.

Are either of the above viable plans? If yes, which would be the best?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Lomu let me try and explain how i THINK it stands based on me and my mate
1. A. At initial application you must show 800k in a bank now 3months
B. OR A letter from the embassey stating a pension of over 800k pa
c, OR a combination of the two combined pension and cash which
adds up to 800k pa

For renewal both me for 3 years and my mate Oct 7th have had to open bank accounts showing in total 800k income pa
we both have brand spanking shiny new b books and we are both paying in 70k a month we take it out and do what we have to with it but each month we pay 70k into what i call my visa account :wink:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Exactly.
I don't need to say any more then, do I?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm not 50 yet.
But I am married to a Thai person
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

lomu i am married to a thai person and been living with mrs sarge for 9 years cant find the first one havent heard a peep or seen her for 7 years
I want a divorce so i can marry mrs sarge so when i pop my clogs she will get 35k a month minimum untill she goes