Appliances working on power converters

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Appliances working on power converters

Post by migrant »

I know little of electricity, but know the US is on a different system than Thailand. I also know some items work on both systems.

In planning our move to Thailand there are some items that we have that we really want to keep. My wife says no problem just get the adapters

My question since I know many of you are knowledgeable in this area;

Can the adapters be used long term safely? Is there a down side?

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Appliances working on adapters

Post by BOZ »

I just end moved over from USA... I bought many items that needed adapters to run here... I bought high end adapters in the USA that will run continuously for years to come... Look at http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond- ... rters.html .... They have great converters and selection... I went with the diamond level for quality and function... Things not to bring, large heavy power/amps draw items like air compressor.... No washing machine or dryer as the have motors that run for long periods of time, and will get hot and eventually burn out... The issue is you convert voltage not hertz, so you end up with 110V 50HZ instead of 60HZ(USA) power... All small appliances and such no issue, TV and stereo no issues... Like I said we bought a bunch of converters and our stuff and packed them in the container no problem getting it all here.... Let me know if you have more questions.... Good luck with your move ours went smooth as silk... Zero breakage....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I seem to recall that you asked this question previously, and several answers were posted.

What are you refering to as an "adapter"? Usually, in an electrical sense, an "adapter" refers to converting different types of plug configurations, such as 2 pin flat to 2 or 3 pin round type.
These would normaly be used when other factors, such as voltage are the same, or not a problem.

If you have an appliance that is of a different voltage, and / or frequency, then you require some form of "converter". Voltage can be converted either way with a transformer of sufficient wattage capacity, frequency is much more involved and not really a propostion for home use.

Some small electronic equipment is designed to run on a range of voltages and frequencies, and should be marked as such.

Anything with an electric motor, or a winding in it, is problematic. Such as refigerators and washing machines. These types of appliances are also usually manufactured for a specific country or area, and spare parts may not be available in other countries.

If you post just what you are wanting to use, I can give you a more specific answer.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Nereus wrote:I seem to recall that you asked this question previously, and several answers were posted.
I don't think I did, but with age all is possible.

I did mean converters. Some of the items would be Ipod docking speakers, a food vacuum machine and some other small kitchen appliances.

Boz, I'll take a look at the website! and Nereus, I appreciate it
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Appliances working on power converters

Post by BOZ »

We use our Grups, blender, food processor, mixer, Bose iPod player, clock radios/CD players, BluerY player, TV's, Power tools, charge battery for cordless tools, Bose wave radio and a few more I am sure I am leaving out... Like we both said continuos motor appliances are a bad idea... Large amperage devices require a serious converter that become cost prohibited.... I spent some good money for a quality converter and was able to get everything sorted out... Bought a new washer and aircompressor here which were inline on price against USA with the big sale they had running here... Again let me know if you have other questions...
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Appliances working on power converters

Post by hhfarang »

I brought over only computer peripherals that needed a converter because I had a good sound system for my desktop and a decent printer that were both 110 volts only. I bought a converter at Big Kiang and used them there with no problems for my 10 years.

The converter I bought there looked something like this and was very heavy for it's small size.
stepdown.jpg
stepdown.jpg (34.07 KiB) Viewed 807 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?