Jazz in Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Jazz in Hua Hin

Post by Lung Per »

I am advised that one of Hua Hin's oldest jazz venues, Ray´s Place, is opening for the season on November 14.

Previously located on the corner of Sra Song and Amnuaysin Roads, vis-a-vis Mr. Dan´s, Mr. Ray is opening at a new location on Petchkasem Soi 19. Mrs. Ray will still be the commanding officer of the kitchen.

My friends and I know Ray´s Place for its excellent Thai jazz orchestra and for its jam sessions where musicians from many countries join together in happy jazz. The jam quality may at times be questionable but there is always a warm heart and good spirits. With the usual crowd and the wonderful audience a good time is had by all.
:thumb: :blues:
A friend is only one click away
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Jazz in Hua Hin

Post by handdrummer »

there's a jam on mon. only and the style of music depends on who's jaming.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Went to the Saxophone bar last night, excellent band playing a jazz funk set ( think Average White Band meets Acid Jazz) . Type of music varies from night to night,will definitely be going back. Some interesting art work displayed on the inside of the bar ie large painting of BB King and a smaller one of Miles Davis. Located at the far end of Soi 94 .
Dtd
Novice
Novice

Post by Dtd »

Coming to Hua Hin for the 2nd time in a couple of weeks, I had been told about a Blues Bar last time we came but could not find it. Have seen reviews about the Saxophone Bar and that looks really good but would be interested to know of other bars with Blues and Jazz music.
Adammada
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Adammada »

Any guys have dates ready for Jazzfestival 2015? Link og program info?
fraasb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fraasb »

We went past the Saxophone Bar last night at about 8:30 and it was empty... what time does it start to get going? Or is there a particular night of the week that is best to go?
Thanks
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I can hear the music from my apartment. By 'get going' do you mean when does the music start or when is there a lively sized audience? The music usually start about 9.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

fraasb wrote:We went past the Saxophone Bar last night at about 8:30 and it was empty... what time does it start to get going? Or is there a particular night of the week that is best to go?
Thanks
Saxophone Lounge is closed on Sunday and Monday. Music generally starts after 9pm and up to midnight, sometimes later if the bands are feeling great! Number 1 on Trip Advisor and if you go, you will understand why! No in house restaurant but can order delivery food while there. Reasonable drink prices and no cover charge. Two bands on weekends plus "unlimited people joining in" as well. Best to call ahead and make a reservation for your preferred seating choice. Can sit inside with sofas or outside with chairs and tables. Dancing is allowed.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
fraasb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fraasb »

Thanks - we will give it another go on a Friday or Saturday night after 9:00pm.
fraasb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fraasb »

We were after a lively sized audience... even just a medium sized one!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

3 of us went at about ten pm last night and we had to wait to get a seat. Not a cheap place to go as a small Leo runs at 99 Baht. A good Farang band who I think they said they play Friday & Saturday then a Thai band came on about 11.30 but I left then as did lots of others. Lots of Western couples.
One thing that puzzles me is are Westerners allowed to play music without a work permit ? I counted 7 Westerners in the first band.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't fret about it, just enjoy the music. Let them worry about any consequences.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I had a Saturday night(?) there a few weeks back and there were two bands, both excellent. Some great blues played with suited me just fine. It was busy inside and out.
Talk is cheap
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Pagey wrote:3 of us went at about ten pm last night and we had to wait to get a seat. Not a cheap place to go as a small Leo runs at 99 Baht. A good Farang band who I think they said they play Friday & Saturday then a Thai band came on about 11.30 but I left then as did lots of others. Lots of Western couples.
One thing that puzzles me is are Westerners allowed to play music without a work permit ? I counted 7 Westerners in the first band.

What constitutes "work" in your'e mind ? Getting paid ? I assume they are not getting any salary at all therefore I would not consider them working.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ well you might not consider them working but good chance they are. Even if one does "volunteer" services/work that is considered working and a work permit is needed. Receiving compensation has nothing to do with it.

Now back to the Jazz . . .

Cheers!