Mutual agreement divorce

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Mrock

Mutual agreement divorce

Post by Mrock »

Is there a simple "in and out divorce" if you have an agreement in place?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Yes. Both parties go to the ampheur. Same as wedding registration, except it's a divorce registration.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Mutual agreement divorce

Post by HHTel »

They will make sure that any children are catered for. Other than than it's in and out and a few baht.
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

Thanks!

Is there an Ampheur in Hua Hin? Location?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to go back to the Province and Ampheur office where the marriage was registered. At least you had to some years ago. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mutual agreement divorce

Post by hhinner »

Registration of births, marriages and deaths (and divorces) are made at the local registrar's office. The tessaban in Hua Hin handles births and deaths registration along with ID card and tabien ban administration. However marriage and divorce registration are not mentioned in the tessaban's web site, but it may well be that these can be done there as well.

I would recommend the OP to inquire at the tessaban first as it's conveniently in the centre of town. The ampheur offices are situated up on the bypass road and are not so convenient to visit.

The process for divorce is given in BORA handbook in Thai. It doesn't mention divorce having to be with the same registrar as the marriage.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

prcscct wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to go back to the Province and Ampheur office where the marriage was registered. At least you had to some years ago. Pete
I was married in Bangkok and divorced in Hua Hin. No problem.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I found the below on the web site of a prominent Thai law firm which competes with a sponsor on this forum. If anyone would like the link, PM me. Pete :cheers:

"The Documentary Requirements

Generally speaking, a couple deciding to divorce must return to the same amphur, embassy or consulate where their marriage is registered. However, new rules now allow couples to go to some other amphur, embassy or consulate for the facilitation of the uncontested divorce. However, some additional documents are required before the divorce is facilitated. The documents to be submitted are as follows:
If returning to the same amphur, embassy or consulate:

The two (2) original marriage certificates;
Original Thai national ID (if Thai);
The Thai party’s Tabien baan (household registration booklet or blue book);
Original passport (if a foreigner).

If divorcing in an amphur, embassy or consulate different from where the marriage is registered:

The two (2) original marriage certificates;
Original Thai national ID (if Thai);
The Thai party’s Tabien baan (household registration booklet or blue book);
Legalized translation of the foreigner’s passport copy.*

* Legalizing a foreigner's passport copy requires ground time of about a week in Bangkok. This is because the following have to be accomplished:

Personal appearance of the foreigner before his Embassy in Bangkok. During his appearance, he presents his original passport. The Embassy then issues a certification of the fact of the foreigner’s personal appearance at the diplomatic office, as well as the authenticity of the passport presented. (Half-day or one working day);

Translation to Thai of the Certification issued by the Embassy (Half-day or one working day);

Legalization of the Thai Translation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Three working days); In some instances, the Ministry allows legalization to be rushed, but higher fees are charged, and the applicant is interviewed by the officer on his purpose for the rushed legalization. (One working day)."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Never had to do none of that. Just turned up at the Amphur in Hua Hin with marriage certificate and passport. She had to show her Tabien Baan and ID card and that was it. Very quick and the same day.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Just to be clear, HHTel, when you say amphur do you mean the amphur office on the bypass or the tessaban in town? Cheers.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Actually, it's neither. The Amphur is the new building behind the police station.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:Actually, it's neither. The Amphur is the new building behind the police station.
Really?

When did that happen please? I had a friend use the services of the Amphur's office on the by-pass just a couple of weeks ago.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That was true 3 years ago. I was there!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, we've used the Amphur Office on the by-pass a few times in the past 3 years, so it's still there. Are you saying its just the divorce department is in town?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Best bet is to go to the tessaban (municipality) first as it's convenient. Besides, there is a registrar's office there. It may be that this is an amphur function but for convenience is in the municipality's building.