JJ's on the move?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

JJ's on the move?

Post by uncle tom »

I got a message via the bamboo telegraph this morning that there's talk of JJ's moving from Poonsuk Plaza - but to where was not clear.

- Any truth in the rumour?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: JJ's on the move?

Post by Gus »

I don't have any knowledge about a move, but the Plaza doesn't seem so busy as it was last year. The band I saw were not great, maybe the new beer garden on Binta has hit the Poolsuk Plaza compex.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

All change at Poolsuk Plaza...
Girlie who works at 'Ice Bar' in plaza meets rich Skandi..
Girlie has plans to use some of her teelak's wealth...
Skandi-man does deal with plaza owner & rents the whole complex..
Afore-mentioned B/G now has big power...
B/G wants all the plaza to herself...
B/G hikes up the rents on all the other rentals by 100% to get them out...
JJ's being one of the 'victims' in her game..
The regular band has moved-on, things obviously not the same...
Outcome for the Plaza unknown... ??
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Skandi-man does deal with plaza owner & rents the whole complex..
Well, the founder of JJ's is a Scandinavian who turned what I first thought was an unlikely prospect into possibly the most profitable bar in town.

But.. other people from that part of the world have sometimes been suckered into paying way over the odds for rent and then pursued a business model that was clearly doomed to fail from day one - remember 'Big Mama's..?

I had a hunch that the owner of Poonsuk Plaza would soon be angling for more money, given its evident success; but what has this guy had to offer to get the whole place to himself I wonder?

JJ's pricing is carefully balanced to reflect the cost of the music without being seen to go OTT - I doubt there's much headroom for raising prices to offset increased rents, without serious consequences for trade..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I don't think you have seen the beer garden, have you Uncle Tom? It is maybe twice the size of Poolsuk, has a Philip band playing at the back, nicely furnished and prices the same as the bars, Big competition.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Even bigger competition is the host of new food courts springing up with large beers at B60-65 and music. The Pala u Rd one is getting popular, not only with Mrs N but lots of Thai- Ferang couples as well as Thais.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

more than getting popular, they are now putting out more tables every night. the crowd is in the hundreds and is heavily Thai. My only gripe is the loudness of the music, I get me food and try to finda seat as for from the band as possible. Small beers at 35b, that's 7/11 price
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

FYI it is called Tan Diew Market in case you want to start a thread in Feeding Time if you have any more info. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.