Will the new booze ban affect all the Binta-Block?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Will the new booze ban affect all the Binta-Block?

Post by usual suspect »

I've read elsewhere that the new 'booze ban' that restricts the sale of alcohol within 300m of a school or temple comes into force this January.
Now H.H. temple, & the school right next to it is indeed in very close proximity to the Poolsuk Rd, & Binta Block of bars..
..are bars & restaurants to be included in this ban..??
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Re: Will the new booze ban affect all the Binta-Block?

Post by uncle tom »

The unofficial English translation says the ban applies to 'tertiary education establishments' and 'vocational institution'

Does the latter include temples? Odd way to describe them. Is the school a 'tertiary establishment' - that usually means students of drinking age..

There are exceptions. Hotels and 'entertainment establishments in allocated zones'

Now, mentioning no names, some influential people in the town like their tea, and stand to lose out big time if the Bintablock gets shut down.

So, need to get them to work overtime to have the Bintablock classified as an 'allocated zone'

Other sites have pointed out that half of Bangkok will be left dry without some leeway, so I'm guessing their will either be a lot more 'allocated zones' or someone will slip in a modification to make the law only apply to Thai nationals.

Edit: This seems to be a moving story. The original 300m rule was ditched days later and the wording changed to 'in the vicinity' it was then put on ice for a six month 'study' while local enforcers can use their discretion, apparently..

Don't seem to be any new stories on this since October - maybe it will join the many Thai laws that no-one bothers to enforce..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Uncle Tom..thank you as ever for your clarification of the matter :bow: & no, the local school is not a tertiary building, plus I said to my dear Mrs that the folk who rent out the bars have much to lose & will be sure to fight it..
..MoT in January..?
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

MoT in January
Will be on parade Jan 2 - give the bell an MoT... :P
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The season's a bit slow Tom-lad..our bell needed a sniff of 'easy start' to fire her up this aft..!! We heard a rumour you were due in town,,so took the precaution of layin' down a film of 'no nails' as well as longer screws in the bell's support-bracket.. :cheers: :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bit of insider scoop here, locals where we live trying to renew their annual liquor licenses are being heavily quizzed about proximity to schools, temples and gas stations.

Those that are "too close" (no official distance given) are being rejected.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

where we live
Where's that?
Those that are "too close" (no official distance given) are being rejected.
- Or did they fail to provide enough tea..?

Anyone on the Bintablock had any problems recently?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

No you should be OK Uncle T, the R bar is 301m from the school.
I would however suggest that in order to make International travel easier for you , you stop listing your occupation as --explosives consultant.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I make no secret of my commercial involvement with explosives when travelling, and always carry business cards - just in case I set of an airport sensor and have to explain why..