Kanchanaburi border (Phu Nam Ron) for visa runs

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: Kanchanaburi Border - Visa Run with own Vehicle

Post by nil »

Went there last week using a visa run tour so can confirm it is open. I don't think you will be allowed to take your own vehicle accross though.
father
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Kanchanaburi border (Phu Nam Ron) for visa runs

Post by father »

Driving there tomorrow so will update on my return.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

But do be aware that they no longer issue visa exempt 30-day stamps on return. You must have a valid visa (i.e. the 2nd of a double entry tourist visa).
This is the way
father
Amateur
Amateur

Post by father »

Got back last night. Tip: If you are looking for the Border Crossing on a Nav system, Google Maps, etc. type in Ban Phu Nam Ron. Don't forget the Ban in the beginning.
Couldn't drive my vehicle over but no need. The little shop on the left drove us over to the Burma side in their little van. Lots of major road construction at the end making the connection to Myanmar but nothing happening on the Burmese side. It's like going back in time on the Burmese side.
Everyone was very helpful on both sides. Still 910 baht. Easy peasey. Only took about 30 minutes once we actually got to the border. Just go straight to the Border. The last little restaurant on the left has a little booth in it where they handle your paperwork. Forget the other little places/signs on the right hand side saying they do Visa's, etc. The signs are there but no one to help.
Driving - Took the way up as per the map in this forum from Hua Hin. Lots of turns and wiggles. Found it easier just to drive back via Kanchanaburi. Pretty much 4 lanes and 100kph+ all the way. While the other way might be shorter distance wise, you are on 2 lane roads a lot of the time and get stuck behind large trucks all over the place.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

There seems to be some confusion on this thread on what is available at this border crossing and what is not. The last post was mid December so I guess I'm just after some clarification on what the current status is with regarding this crossing.

My situation is that my 21yr old son (Australian passport) is currently in LOS on a single entry tourist visa, which has just been extended for 30 days, with an expiry date of 26th Feb. He needs to stay with us in LOS for a few more weeks before we head over to Vietnam to live for a while. Ideally it would be good if he could just do a border run to this particular border crossing and obtain a 15 day visa-exempt entry. Is this even possible?

If this was obtained, then he could just visit HH Immigration and apply for a 30 day extension as per normal, which would then give him plenty of time to remain legal in LOS, as we are flying out to Vietnam early April. If this is not possible, then he would have to fly out of the country and return with either another single entry tourist visa or just obtain a 30 day visa exempt entry on arrival. Obviously we are looking for the cheapest option, as when it comes to flying out, the $$s add up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seveneleven »

I might be wrong, but he will not be able to get another 30 day extension on the 15 day stamp.
Immigration will probably tell him he needs to apply for a 60 day visa at a consulate or embassy.
There are a lot of changes going on.
Probably best to ask the immigration office before making the trip.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It will be a 30-day (not 15) visa exempt stamp, issued at land borders and airports.
But not at Kanchanaburi. He would be able to use that if he had a double entry tourist visa and was leaving after the first, but you must have a valid visa to enter Thailand before leaving via Kanchanaburi (as I found out to my cost...).

I suggest Ranong, Cambodia or Malaysia (if he wants to make a mini-break out of it).
This is the way
Sabai Sabai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Sabai »

Was in a similarish position to your son recently, looked into it and can confirm what Dtaai-maai says above is spot on. Kanchanaburi is of no use to your son. I think Ranong is probably the easiest, that's what I chose in the end. (I'll send you a pm rather than go off topic!)
seveneleven wrote:I might be wrong, but he will not be able to get another 30 day extension on the 15 day stamp.
Immigration will probably tell him he needs to apply for a 60 day visa at a consulate or embassy.
There are a lot of changes going on.
Probably best to ask the immigration office before making the trip.
He will get 30 days visa exempt, which can then be extended by 30 days at Hua Hin immigration.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Thanks for the responses guys. Reading all of that, I guess this border crossing is definitely out. And that would be great Sabai Sabai if you could PM me with further info.

I did do a search on the Thai Visa forum before posting my question here, but there was nothing specific with regards to this border crossing. But one of the gurus did clarify a few things in one post date late Jan 2016, regarding the visitors visa or non visa for short stays. There is always way too much confusion on this subject. Here is a transcript of his post that seems accurate and up to date for those that may be interested :

How to tell which you have

If you had to pay for a visa at the airport, and only received a 15-day entry, you have a visa.

If you did not need to pay, and received a 30-day entry (15 days at a land border unless from a G7 country) you have a visa-exempt entry.

Consequences

People who receive visas on arrival cannot extend them. However, if they request an extension, although the extension is denied, they will be given 7 days to leave the country.

People who receive visa-exempt entries can extend them one time for an additional 30 days on payment on 1,900 baht. A request for a subsequent extension (except in special cases) will be denied, but 7 days to leave the country will be granted.
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seveneleven »

Phnom Penh for 60 day Tourist is 3 days for 48 us dollars, can express the process to 1 or 2 days with additional 10 dollars.
It is possible to fly in, drop the passport at the agency, and be flying out 2 days later. Weekdays only.
I suggest flying as the land borders are scam heavy and the highways are horrible.
All in all a good option.
Also a good option is flying cheap to Nong Khai from Don Mueang. Cross the border, 2 days wait for visa and long line.
If you don't show up before noon you cannot apply for visa, have to wait another day.
Cabba
Novice
Novice

Post by Cabba »

Lots of good information here. I'm going to give this trip a try soon. I will update accordingly.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Further to this thread, I have dual entry (60 + 60) I extended first 60 by 30(1900bht) Hua Hin immigration said "ok" can still go to border for re entry(second 60 day visa stamp), but local people here suggest that a. that cant be done at Phu Nam Ron and b. the fact that i extended first Visa may cause issues??? I repeat Immigration said no issues but now im 'concerned' can anyone offer any clarity?? would appreciate contact details for Mr Day if anyone has many thanks all
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

As far as I am aware, the only 'issue' at Phu Nam Ron is whether you have a visa to return to Thailand. Your situation (using the 2nd entry of your dual entry visa) is pretty much the only reason non-Thais use that border. I don't see how the 30-day extension could possibly be relevant. I'm not sure who these 'local people' are, but for once Immigration appears to be giving good advice.
This is the way
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Just be sure that the visa hasn't expired, i.e. not past the "enter by" date on the visa.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

obliged to hhinner & dtaai-maai... im assuming i need my passport ONLY and nothing else? If anyone knows different im going Wed morning and would appreciate a quick post , cheers!