Soi 102 Vacating?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Soi 102 Vacating?

Post by RCer »

Morning folks,

I've rented a house on a montly basis in Soi 102 so that I can explore HH.

In reading another thread here on Soi 102 it sems businesses have been shutting down. Looking elsewhere it seems there are a lot of houses for rent there too.

But, I haven't seen anything that talks about the cause of all this.

So, what is behind it?

I'm not looking to get out of there before I even arrive, just wondering what may not be obvious to a new comer to HH.
Big Boy

Re: Soi 102 Vacating?

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think Soi 102 is any different to any other area of Hua Hin. There's a lot of movement everywhere.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Doesn't soi 102 have a history of serious flooding in the rainy season? Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

The thread I read last night said that problem had been fixed.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

I live on the top half of soi 102, past kido around suk sabai and hill village2, no problems with flooding there.
Its the bottom half of soi 102 that still has flood issues during the rainy season, that is the old estate(forget the name ), just past the bread shop and bobbys bar and the new pump house on the left going up the soi.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

There are a lot of houses for rent everywhere, not just soi 102, hua hin has a major over supply, with a very small fulltime expat population, houses can take 2 years to sell, if they are lucky and rentals can sit vacant for years as well. Just look around at all the new vacant shop houses being built, broken down half finished housing estates,too many empty restaurants and closed businesses and the amount of vacant land just west of hua hin, you should have no problem finding a rental bargain in a busted market.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

prcscct wrote:Doesn't soi 102 have a history of serious flooding in the rainy season? Pete
Yes it did apparently have problems in the past, particularly around the region of Royal Home Estate.
I understand the flooding issue came about as a result of clogged canals and in part surrounding land being built up hindering storm water runoff. Flood mitigation work has apparently been undertaken with canals being cleared and flow rates improved along with the installation of flood pumps. How effective? Only the next period of protracted will tell.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Last sentence should read "Only the next period of protracted rain will tell." My bad!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Bluesky wrote:
prcscct wrote:Doesn't soi 102 have a history of serious flooding in the rainy season? Pete
Yes it did apparently have problems in the past, particularly around the region of Royal Home Estate.
I understand the flooding issue came about as a result of clogged canals and in part surrounding land being built up hindering storm water runoff. Flood mitigation work has apparently been undertaken with canals being cleared and flow rates improved along with the installation of flood pumps. How effective? Only the next period of protracted will tell.
Last rainy season, just after the pump house was built, a gaping hole in the road appeared right next to the pump house and in front of bobbys bar!! The royal home estate still flooded, not as bad as years gone by, but bad enough to flood the houses, so im not overly confident that it will be any better this rainy season.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Going back a number of years this was a swamp! They have tried to drain it, built a pump etc and sold the land off for development. We will see how effective this has been quite soon. My non scientific view is that nature usually evens things out, so after the worst drought for 20 yrs, perhaps some big floods.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There was a discussion about the flooding in Soi 102 here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30465&p=395214&hili ... 02#p395214

I looked at the pump house just after this and from memory there are 3 pumps, all of mounted down low in what appears to be waterproof housings. There is also at least 3 float switches, each one set at a different height in the sump, which should provide for the pumps to switch on in sequence if the water in the sump exceeds the capacity of just one pump. The biggest question is: where does the water get pumped to?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It gets pumped to the drainage canal, which runs alongside the railroad.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:It gets pumped to the drainage canal, which runs alongside the railroad.
Ok, that was also mentioned previously. But is that where the problems is? The water may just overflow the klong and run right back where it came from. It has also been claimed that the water is pumped to Soi 112.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Isn't 112 the general area? The canal runs behind Vana Nava, which is basically across the road from Soi 112, and is where cars drive straight into drainage ditches. I think the problem is, if the rain is confined to Soi 102, the canal will manage, but if it's carrying storm drainage from the whole of Hua Hin, it just causes the canal to break it's banks near Vana Nava, before the water goes out to sea. I think it depends on the state of the tide also.

Points 41; Position 18
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

jingjoe wrote:There are a lot of houses for rent everywhere, not just soi 102, hua hin has a major over supply, with a very small fulltime expat population, houses can take 2 years to sell, if they are lucky and rentals can sit vacant for years as well. Just look around at all the new vacant shop houses being built, broken down half finished housing estates,too many empty restaurants and closed businesses and the amount of vacant land just west of hua hin, you should have no problem finding a rental bargain in a busted market.
Oh please tell me where they are. I am looking and they all seem to be around the 18,000 mark for a good un. To me that is not a bargain for a 2 bed bungalow :banghead: