Speed ticket

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Have just installed a Belkin wireless router to my system and there is a facility in the router settings to stop people getting in the system.

You can enable 3 types of security system (dependant on the operating system you are using). What it does is ask for is a password that you have designated every time people in range try and sign on.

We have students staying with at present and they can use the inetrnet in their own rooms, but need to use my designated password everytime they go into the internet.

Before I did this, anyone could have got access to my system, and could also have access to my server, so is vital that the security system in enabled as soon as you go to a wireless system.

I was given an IP address by Belkin, that you go to and this allows you to troubleshoot the system if there any problems, and also is where you go and set up your security system.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Farang
Ace
Ace

Then again,,,,

Post by Farang »

'
For several days now I've not forgotten where I am. I am at the computer attached to a 2 MB line:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 34 kbps (4.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 8 kbps (1 KB/sec transfer rate)
buksida

Re: Then again,,,,

Post by buksida »

Farang wrote: Download Speed: 34 kbps (4.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 8 kbps (1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Thats about what I've had out of the same system for the last 3 months. What I save in dial up connection costs I pay for an "ADSL" account - same shit different package.

:banghead: :cuss: :guns:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

'
Cat Telecom guy very kindly showed up the other day as I had complained about the net speed.

He showed me a Cat Telecom's own speedometer. It told me I had warp speed all along.
So I did some comparisons:

FIRST: TV Broadband speed test Firefox at 23:19 hrs on 26.12.06

Last Result:
Download Speed: 88 kbps (11 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 696 kbps (87 KB/sec transfer rate)

SECOND:
Cat Telecom speed test with IE: 23: 21 hrs on 26.12.06
Connection Speed 1,691.00 Kbps
Download Speed 206.47 Kbytes/s
Time for Download 1 MB file 2 s

29 Kbps Dial-up 28.8 k
34 Kbps Dial-up 33.6 k
53 Kbps Dial-up 56 k
384 Kbps DSL/Cable 384 k
768 Kbps DSL/Cable 768 k
1,500 Kbps Cable/DSL 1.5 Mbps
1,544 Kbps Full T1 1.544 Mbps
1,691 Kbps Your Speed
3,000 Kbps N x T1 3 Mbps
6,000 Kbps T3 6 Mbps
15,000 Kbps T3 15 Mbps
30,000 Kbps T3 30 Mbps

THIRD: TV Broadband speed test Firefox at 23:26 hrs on 26.12.06

Last Result:
Download Speed: 58 kbps (7.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 704 kbps (88 KB/sec transfer rate)

FOURTH: TV Broadband speed test with IE at 23:46 hrs on 26.12.06

Last Result:
Download Speed: 92 kbps (11.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 689 kbps (86.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

So stop complaining and get a speedometer that shows you the speed you want. Get CAT Telecom! TIT!
buksida

Post by buksida »

As said before, they will always use a speed test on a Thai server which has absolutely no bearing at all on international bandwidth which is crap on a good day.

Time to cancel? I would have ages ago if I can find a decent alternative thats not going to cost me almost 3 grand a month.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Todays internet speed has dropped significant, and now it's slower than ever before.
I heard a telecom-cable was broken because of an earthquake outside Taiwan this morning, causing trouble all over Asia.

As for speed tests in Thailand; useless and a waste of time.
Use a proper speed test on an farang-board as most servers are located outside Thailand.
You will then find out that the bandwidth is next to zero.
Where have the fibers gone?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Quiet days in Hua Hin

Post by Farang »

'
Not bad for a 2 Mbps line:

Of course, the speed is not real. But the speedometer reading is quite impressive.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I know nothing about computers, so I won't quote figures. But my ADSL connection is going ballistic. Quicker than ever. I just can't keep up with it.
Maybe something to do with re-routing?
CAT, whatever you're doing, I like it - for now.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:I know nothing about computers, so I won't quote figures. But my ADSL connection is going ballistic. Quicker than ever. I just can't keep up with it.
Maybe something to do with re-routing?
CAT, whatever you're doing, I like it - for now.
No it's not that. Your are getting faster response now because I logged into your machine the other night and killed of my spyware that was running now that I have all your personal details.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

:D
Jazz
Novice
Novice

Post by Jazz »

I'm not completely up to date on wireless but my computer is a wifi computer so from what i understand from the internet if i get a wireless router that will just plug into the phoneline and act as an adsl modem and will send the wireless internet signal around the house and even to my neighbour through glass but not wood or metal.
And is there a difference buying the wirless router from the telephone shop, computer shop or pantip or are different wireless routers different in signal strenght?
buksida

Post by buksida »

The reason that connections were worse than usual last week is an earthquake in Taiwan damaging one of Thailand's two international links so everything was routed via Singapore. All seems back to just slow now as opposed to f**king slow.

Jazz, yes the telephone shop are likely to sell you an inferior product at an inflated price so its best to buy your own, preferably something decent such as D-Link.