Dutch man with cancer claims Hua Hin Hospital rip off

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Dutch man with cancer claims Hua Hin Hospital rip off

Post by buksida »

A man from the Netherlands has complained that the Hua Hin Hospital has fleeced him because he is a foreigner.

He says that he has been married to a Thai woman for ten years and should be treated as anybody else, reported Daily News.

Edwin Buse, 47, a former train engineer, started having treatment for prostate cancer two years ago. He has questioned why he should pay a charge of 300 per visit for foreigners.

And he has no idea what another item is on his bills – namely a charge of 858 baht in one baht units. And nobody else knows what it is either.

Edwin went to Hua Hin police and has also appealed to the government watchdog Damrongtham claiming he is being conned.

He appealed to Thai reporters to help with his case as it has got tied up in red tape for four months now with no action.

They made representations on his behalf but the Public Finance Ministry seemed to confirm that the charges on his bills were irregular.

Source: http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/523312
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The bill shown in the newspaper article shows the 858 baht is for 858 units of administrative charge at 1 baht per unit. Probably a typing error and it's actually 1 administrative charge of 858 baht. But what kind of administration? This type of item should definitely be explained. When I go to the hospital I get charged 300 baht for "nursing service". Thais don't, but I'm not thai and 300 baht is pretty cheap for an outpatient visit.
buksida

Re: Dutch man with cancer claims Hua Hin Hospital rip off

Post by buksida »

I think it goes back to that age old principle thing with double/over charging foreigners - if they looked past the colour of the skin all the innards of a human body are the same!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If he thinks he's being ripped off at Hua Hin Hospital, he should go to the other hospitals in the area, and analyse what he's being charged for.

I've used several hospitals from Hua Hin to Petchaburi. IMHO, the best is Petcharat, but the travel stops me using it regularly. I have now settled for Hua Hin Hospital as second best, and I've never been ripped off as far as I know. However, depending upon the doctor, what I've been charged for has varied from hospital to hospital. Some will charge you for every possible thing going, others will charge the bare minimum. The cashier will ask for whatever the doctor has asked for, but I don't think the extras find their way into individual's pockets.

Even at veterinary hospitals, the extras you are charged for are down to what the doctor puts on the paperwork - he or she isn't getting the extra cash.

When I moved here, I was a 'hospital snob' because of what I'd read on this forum. There was no way I would have gone to the butchers at Hua Hin Hospital. However, several misdiagnosis and a couple of operations later, I learnt the hard (and expensive) way. Soft furnishings and complimentary coffee don't get you better. It's the medical treatment that does the trick. If they treat the wrong condition, they'll keep hold of you longer. Well patients don't keep the shareholders sweet.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The majority of thais are on the 30 baht scheme and that's all they pay. My wife and daughters cost 30 baht per visit including medication and everything else. I use the express service (200) and I've always found my bill to be quite reasonable. This guy should try BKK Hospital!!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Why should he be treated as a Thai? Anyway the charge seems peanuts. What about the clinical care?? Surely that is the most important thing.he looks fit and healthy in the photograph so he should count his blessings and stop moaning.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

If I think about the cost of the NHS in the UK, mandatory payment that's taken through tax and NI, whether you are sick or not, I welcome a program that involves paying at the point of delivery. You can buy an insurance policy to defray costs, if you want, but if not then you have to pay. And at the price quoted it seems very reasonable indeed.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Why should the Thai people/government pay for the medical care of a farang?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

RCer wrote:Why should the Thai people/government pay for the medical care of a farang?
I have to agree with this statement
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Foodie

Post by Foodie »

Have been to the HHH many times, I was at the emergency room last night my bill was 460bht the main charge was nursing service 321 bht, meds 78 bht ,med supplies 60bht. They call the Dr's charge Nursing service . My wife and son both are on 30 bht , I am not Thai so do not get that benefit it would be nice but is not the way it is so why complain . If I went to the emergency room in my country with having insurance I would be paying over 3000 bht co pay.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's also the charge for Thais going to a different public hospital. Mrs BB doesn't get charged a single Baht at Hua Hin Hospital, but if she goes to a public hospital elsewhere, she receives no concession whatsoever - why should an alien receive privileged rates?

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

RCer wrote:Why should the Thai people/government pay for the medical care of a farang?
I agree with you. It's a shame the NHS in the UK doesn't follow suit where foreigners can be treated at the cost of the taxpayer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But taxpayers like us can't :cuss:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I've seen a lot of Thai people using BKK hospital. I'm guessing they either make a lot of baht or have good insurance.

The national plan seems to be in place to take care of the people that make little money, as it should be.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote:But taxpayers like us can't :cuss:
Spot on BB.

However, when i was in the uk for a few months a 5 or 6 years ago, I was not refused treatment and even registered with a doctor. A friend who returned to the uk a couple of years ago with his Thai family also weren't refused.

I wonder if this rule is discretionary at the grass roots.