Swede dies in accident in Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Swede dies in accident in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

A 68-year-old Swedish man has died after being hit by a car at an intersection where he went by motorcycle taxi. The man was a resident in Stockholm, and the Foreign Ministry in Sweden confirms that his relatives have been informed.

The accident happened on 28 November 2016 in Hua Hin, and the Swede had just left a dinner with his friend, and was on his way home on a motorcycle taxi. The accident occurred on the night between Monday and Tuesday, Swedish time.

Dan Magnusson, 75, says he had been at a dinner with the 68-year-old – one of his best friends – and that the two were on their way home. Since they were going in different directions, they chose different means of transport. The 68-year-old took a motorcycle taxi.

At an intersection, the driver stopped at a red light. When it turned green, he drove out.

“Then a car ran a red light in very, very high speed on the main road. When the driver saw the red light coming, he gassed up instead of slowing down,” Dan Magnusson says to expressen.se.

The 68-year-old Swede from Stockholm was on a golf trip to Thailand and had rented an apartment in Hua Hin. He had been there three weeks, and it was planned that he would go home on Sunday 4 December, Dan Magnusson explains, who himself lives in the city.

The two men had known each other for seven or eight years, and have been on several trips together.

Source: http://scandasia.com/swede-dies-in-accident-in-hua-hin/
Original: http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/svensk- ... i-hua-hin/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Swede dies in accident in Hua Hin

Post by joelle »

what about the driver of the motorcycle taxi ??????
is he alive ???
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Sad
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

joelle wrote:what about the driver of the motorcycle taxi ??????
is he alive ???
According to the Swedish newspaper mentioned in the original post, where both killed instantly.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can't make out the road in the article photos in conjunction with Hua Hin traffic lights. Can anybody tell me the location of the accident please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I heard it was the Chomsin - Petkasam Rd traffic lights
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

NOKYAI wrote:I heard it was the Chomsin - Petkasam Rd traffic lights
If it was then the photo is wrong because that's not the Chomsin- Petkasem junction
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure you're right, but the press are using this photo, which I've been trying to place at any Hua Hin lights.
Swede-dead-hua-hin-scandasia.jpg
Thanks NOKYAI :thumb:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

It might be worth mentioning that the Swedish newspaper "Expressen" is a tabloid known to be more interested in selling single copies than checking facts...
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote:but the press
There's the problem. 555
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

It was at the intersection of Phetkasem and Soi 55 (Chomsin). I was leaving Hua Hin Monday evening and my regular driver, which also drives for the rescue/emergency oraganisation in Hua Hin and responded to this accident, told me about this accident. The car had 4 people in it and was driven by a Thai girl. She run the red light and she was drunk according to him. Both the motorcycle driver and the Swede passenger dies.
YNWA
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Tragic..

Somehow I feel more for the taxi driver and less for his passenger. The taxi driver was earning an honest crust and probably leaves behind a wife and family who were reliant on his modest earnings.

The Swedish guy, at the age of 68, and from the most nannied state on the planet, elects to ride pillion passenger home, doubtlessly unequipped for any mishap.

He made his choice to live on the edge, and I salute that, but he paid the ultimate price for doing so. By contrast, the driver was only trying to look after his family...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

No offense Uncle T, but from my point of view, your post is totally irrelevant. Millions of people all across this country use motorcycle taxis on a daily basis and I doubt they are doing it because they enjoy life on the edge. Many can also afford better transport but think nothing of it because motorcycle taxis are part of daily life here.

Also, having lived here full time for many years, I have also encountered many motorcycle taxi drivers who think the sun shines out of their ass, so not all of them are sweet and wonderful people who are trying to provide for their families. With all of that having been said, neither the Swede nor the mc taxi driver should have been killed. They were not living life on the edge, as you suggest.

The blame lies on the shoulders of the little rich bitch who decided, AS ALWAYS, that she in the most important person on this planet. In a perfect world, she should simply have been taken to the nearest police station, and then shot in the head. That way, the world would have one less twat to contend with.

Lastly, if the truth be known, rich bitch probably didn't even see that the light was red because she had very urgent business to attend to on facebook. In fact, I would almost be willing to bet my life on it that she was busy with her phone at the time.

:rant:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I'm quite shocked at your comments Uncle Tom and out of respect for both of the deceased can we keep this subject factual and on topic.
Its a sad reflection that in many ways this was totally avoidable. Lets wait and see the facts unfold or is this going to be the all too familiar case of hush hush rich family will make the issue disappear.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I doubt very seriously that there will even be any more "facts unfold". Indeed, it took several days before it made a new media story anywhere.

Beyond this thread there will be nothing else said about it.