Fingerprints to be required for all mobile phone users

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Fingerprints to be required for all mobile phone users

Post by HHTel »

I was in the Royal Navy through the 60's and I'm pretty sure I never had my prints taken in that time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Think it was mentioned above that anyone with the pink farang Thai ID card will have had their fingerprints done.

Can't really see what it will achieve from a mobile phone aspect - certainly not for national security as phones used to detonate devices are bought in from Malaysia.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Agree about prints in other countries, all over the Middle East it is compulsory to be able to get a visa, same in most of Africa and definitely with US DOD plus eyes scans and more. Don't worry your data is everywhere even if you think it isn't.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote:
Can't really see what it will achieve from a mobile phone aspect - certainly not for national security as phones used to detonate devices are bought in from Malaysia.
I think it's more to do with enforcing the LM law and stopping defendants claiming that a device isn't theirs.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

According to the report in the OP it's connected to mobile banking.

{...
"We urge all mobile users to participate in the system to ensure greater security of the mobile banking channel and prevent the risk of fraud, which is likely to increase in a cashless society," said NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith.
...}

Will a cheap, lowest bid system, achieve the aim of preventing (sic) the risk of fraud?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

HHTel wrote:I don't recall ever having my prints taken for anything ever!
same here

:cheers: :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

My Fingerprints are checked every time I enter Japan and occasionally on entry to Malaysia. Ok it's an electronic taking of fingerprints and not the fingers on the ink pad but the result is the same. My prints are on record.

Outside of Asia many countries scan fingerprints on entry. It's always an issue for me as I lost the top of my right index finger many years ago... there are one or two reactions.... never mind, let's forget the prints or.... a discussion or hand signals which alternative finger I should have scanned
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain