Why do you drink Chang beer?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Why do you drink Chang beer?

Post by sidthesloth »

It's objectively the worst, and it's not even cheap.

I'm not saying any Thai beer is good, but Chang is far and away the worst.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Why do you drink Chang beer?

Post by HHTel »

Well it happens to be the best selling beer in Thailand, beating Singha into second place.

The company is not only in Thailand:
hai Beverage, better known as ThaiBev (Thai: ไทยเบฟ) (SGX: Y92), is Thailand's largest and one of Southeast Asia's largest beverage companies, with distilleries in Thailand, Scotland, Ireland, China, and France. Listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, Thai Beverage Plc has a market capitalization in excess of US$4 billion.
In January 2013, the firm announced it had succeeded in a US$11.2 billion deal to take over the conglomerate Fraser and Neave, adding to the group's considerable portfolio of assets.

Chang was originally brewed by Carlsberg and in Europe was known as Elephant Beer. You will notice the logo is the same as the logo in Carlsberg's HQ in Denmark. Originally a joint venture, Carlsberg pulled out of the contract which cost them a fortune in damages.

It may be your opinion that it's a bad beer. Everyone to their taste. However, it doesn't become the No.1 seller by being a 'bad beer' I personally drink it because I prefer it over Singha, which gives me a headache.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And I think you'll find it the cheapest local beer in Thailand and around half the price of a pint in London.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Agreed! Singha is awful.
However as all sids posts have been factually incorrect, or generally meaningless to date, why would you expect this one to be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:agree:http://huahinforum.com/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=16#

I'm still trying to work out if he believes what he's spouting or that he's just a 'wind-up merchant'.
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

HHTel wrote: It may be your opinion that it's a bad beer. Everyone to their taste. However, it doesn't become the No.1 seller by being a 'bad beer' I personally drink it because I prefer it over Singha, which gives me a headache.
It didn't become #1 by being a good beer either. It earns it spot with exhaustive marketing and strong-arming other brands out of the market. Have you noticed the food court on 88 won't sell you anything but Chang? That's not because the vendors think it's the best. Chang is quite an excellent corporation (at what it does - making money and expanding market share) but they're just not very good beer makers.

Unfortunately Beer Lao is taxed to shit by the authorities and is more than twice the price at 711. You can be sure Chang had a say in that too.

(if only Thailand had been colonised by the French and learnt how to brew)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

All imported beers are taxed heavily. Beerlao is no exception.

Chang is originally a Danish recipe which was granted to ThaiBev by Carlsberg. The King of Denmark at the time was livid and very critical of Carlsberg.

I know you are not going to shift your position, and if you ever do accept that you are wrong on a lot of things, then pigs will surely fly.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Sid the sloth sounds more like sid snot to me!

Talk is cheap
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

I drink it to support the Chang girls.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

elephant urine. the thai equivalent of bud, miller and coors. I'd rather pay more and drink less but at least enjoy the taste.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

sidthesloth wrote:
HHTel wrote:

It didn't become #1 by being a good beer either. It earns it spot with exhaustive marketing and strong-arming other brands out of the market. Have you noticed the food court on 88 won't sell you anything but Chang

(if only Thailand had been colonised by the French and learnt how to brew)
Wrong, as usual!
The bars sell Leo, Singha, Chang, Heineken and maybe others.

Attn Mods: is this clown going to be allowed to post for much longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

[quote="sidthesloth"]

"Have you noticed the food court on 88 won't sell you anything but Chang?"

Soi 88 Bar "Chill Chill" sells all the beers including a very good draught Chang at 60baht for ½ltr. They also sell out of Leo very often
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Hey Sidthesloth why do you ask so many "why do you " questions? Hey Sidthesloth why do you ask so many "why do you questions? Wind up eh ? Wind up eh ?
Complexity is so simply overrated
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

All Thai beer is garbage....it's just that you end up getting used to crap beer so you eventually surrender to one aweful beer company or another.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

sidthesloth....you remind me of a coconut.....

Starts with C, ends with T, and has U N in the middle!
:D :D :D :D :D