Do you need an onward ticket for entry into Thailand?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Do you need an onward ticket for entry into Thailand?

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote:As I said, check with the airline. A 2 minute e-mail will give peace of mind.
Agree 100%. My children travel frequently from Aust/Thailand on one way tickets using their Aust passports to exit without a visa. They are constantly being asked about their return ticket or their means to purchase by airline check -in staff at which point they show their Thai passports. Same issue when leaving Thailand on Thai passports without a Visa when returning to Aust.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:As I said, check with the airline. A 2 minute e-mail will give peace of mind.
It's not 'the airline' that refuses a flight to someone without an onward ticket. It's the people working that day. For many airlines that means union members who can't be fired for incompetence.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes. and who do those people work for, albeit, sometimes indirectly? A 2 minute e-mail will give you the airline's written confirmation. The check-in supervisor is representing the airline, and will have a point of contact if required.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I once had a return flight that was way beyond my visa, something like 6 months. The check in girl queried this and I said I live I Thailand and would sort this out with a visa run to a neighbouring country, She made a quick T/C to a supervisor and things were OK. There were loads of thai stamps and visas in my passport to support this.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
errrmmm
Novice
Novice

Post by errrmmm »

Reply to BigBoy 29/12.

I didn't have a return ticket any time this year, or last year, or indeed for about 4 years.

And no airline (in London) has ever asked me to show return ticket, including EVA, Ethithad, Air India, Jet, Norwegian.

But that's not to say they won't in future.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess it's luck of the draw. Same with weighing of hand baggage - some check-in clerks insist, others don't. Fortunately, I've always been under when they've insisted.

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:Yes. and who do those people work for, albeit, sometimes indirectly? A 2 minute e-mail will give you the airline's written confirmation. The check-in supervisor is representing the airline, and will have a point of contact if required.
We have different views, probably culturally based. Given a choice between doing things the right and proper way or getting rid of a pest, how many choose the former? In the US, the lowest paid person in the company, the one most likely to hate his job, the one most likely to know how to get away with doing as little as possible and the one so bored to tears that he'll mess with customers just because he can is the one most important to the customer. And, all too often, the one who is a gatekeeper. As for showing an email as proof the airline says it's OK, wouldn't a supervisor with half a brain say emails are just HTML and can be faked? After all, he'll get the blame if the airline must return the passenger. And, pray tell, what good does that point of contact do if it's 3am for the contact?
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

to errrmm,just as a matter of interest has anyone asked to see your visa status before leaving the UK ,for your travel to Thailand,especially Etihad who in general like KLM in the UK are normally very strict??
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Homer wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Yes. and who do those people work for, albeit, sometimes indirectly? A 2 minute e-mail will give you the airline's written confirmation. The check-in supervisor is representing the airline, and will have a point of contact if required.
We have different views, probably culturally based. Given a choice between doing things the right and proper way or getting rid of a pest, how many choose the former? In the US, the lowest paid person in the company, the one most likely to hate his job, the one most likely to know how to get away with doing as little as possible and the one so bored to tears that he'll mess with customers just because he can is the one most important to the customer. And, all too often, the one who is a gatekeeper. As for showing an email as proof the airline says it's OK, wouldn't a supervisor with half a brain say emails are just HTML and can be faked? After all, he'll get the blame if the airline must return the passenger. And, pray tell, what good does that point of contact do if it's 3am for the contact?
So, if there's any doubt, and you can't be bothered to do the right thing by getting a visa, what alternatives would you employ please? Or would you be prepared to wave your flight on it's way from the airport's observation deck if you were dealt with by such a person?

Points 41; Position 18
errrmmm
Novice
Novice

Post by errrmmm »

Reply to Thistle, 31/12
I don't recall Etithad or anyone specifically asking to see a visa; but they all check the passport at check-in.
- to see how long it's valid?
I didn't have a visa for this trip, just Visa on Arrival (then extend for 30 days).

EVA didn't ask about any visa, In fact it was an electronic check-in, just scan the passport front page
at some smart machine .
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm pretty sure that all airline check in staff are taught to look for visas or lack of them. Maybe the computer behind the desk does it for them?
Certainly, I've been pulled by Thai, Emirates and Etihad (those are just the flights I can remember). The staff always ask where my visa or return flight is. I explain that I've got an annual extension and re-entry permit and show them those.
No problem after that. The staff just are not use to those particular stamps.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:So, if there's any doubt, and you can't be bothered to do the right thing by getting a visa, what alternatives would you employ please? Or would you be prepared to wave your flight on it's way from the airport's observation deck if you were dealt with by such a person?
What would I do? This thread is info and advice for the OP's nephew. I'd advise him to weight the costs of a visa or onward ticket against the consequences and costs of either being denied from the flight to Thailand or, once arrived, being refused entry. I'd mention buying a refundable one way ticket onward. Don't know if this is still works, or remember how it works, but with photoshop and pdf of a ticket, one can make a fake one.