Bangkok sewage pit gas kills 4 cleaners

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Bangkok sewage pit gas kills 4 cleaners

Post by Nereus »

Sewage pit gas kills 4 cleaners

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... 4-cleaners

Four workers died after inhaling toxic gas while preparing to clean a sewage pit at a Bangkok market on Thursday.

The incident occurred at AC Sai Mai Market in Sai Mai district when four men – Apichart Liangluan, 31, Charnyut Womgsasilpa, 34, and his brother Sakul, 40, and Myanmar national Saw Rae, 38 -- were about to carry out maintenance on a two metre wide and three metre deep sewage pit.

Sai Mai police investigator Pol Capt Sathit Paokaew said Saw Rae opened a metal pit cover, leaned over to look down and fell in.    

Apichart climbed down to help but then did not respond to the calls of Charnyut and Sakul. The siblings then followed their colleagues in a bid to help but later passed out as well.  

A team of rescue workers from Siam Tuam Jai Pu In foundation arrived at the scene and thought the four men had been electrocuted while cleaning the pit. They turned off the electricity for the entire market and Somsak Chomchart, 30, was sent down the pit with a safety rope attached but without a proper mask.

Somsak fell unconscious as he tried to climb back up to get fresh air and was pulled to safety by his colleagues. 
The rescue team later managed to bring the four men out of the pit using ropes.

The Myanmar worker was pronounced dead at the scene while the three others died in hospital. 

The official cause of death would be released after the autopsies.
................................................................................................
Unbelievable! And these "people" are going to buy a submarine!
A team of rescue workers from Siam Tuam Jai Pu In foundation arrived at the scene and thought the four men had been electrocuted...................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Sewage pit gas kills 4 cleaners

Post by Ginjaninja »

H2S?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Sewage pit gas kills 4 cleaners

Post by Nereus »

Ginjaninja wrote:H2S?
Yes, absolutely. Also known as "sewer gas". This insidious shite is well known, as is its toxicity in very small concentration's. 500 ppm will render a human unconscious in about 3 minutes, 700 ppm and above death is almost instantaneous. One of its worst traits is that it kills your sense of smell in about 3 to 5 minutes at only 10 ppm.

Somewhere in the higher up food chain is some ****hole that has "engineer" on a polished name plate on his teak desk in his air conditioned office, that should be charged with manslaughter. But you would probably have to go to some golf club to find him. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pegman58
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Bangkok sewage pit gas kills 4 cleaners

Post by pegman58 »

Just happened last week in Florida same thing...H2S GAS...No monitors, no testing prior to entry

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 53ad93c39b
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

In a earlier life I worked my way through college doing underground construction including live manholes. We were always careful to set up venting equipment but I remember one time climbing down to pick up a missed tool without vents in a live manhole. 2 minutes and I was woozy!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

The deaths could have easily been avoided, had simple Health and safety systems been in place, but TIT, so not much chance of that.

RIP to the 4 dead workers and commiserations to the families. I doubt that they will get much from those who were responsible for these deaths.

:guns: :cuss:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.