Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry service news and updates

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
golferstu

Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by golferstu »

It's finally underway!

Man, I've been excited for this ferry service ever since i got the wind about it.
Anyone ever took a ride upon it please go ahead, do share it with us.

Would absolutely love to hear about your experience.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

golferstu wrote:It's finally underway!

Man, I've been excited for this ferry service ever since i got the wind about it.
Anyone ever took a ride upon it please go ahead, do share it with us.

Would absolutely love to hear about your experience.
You might want to read the thread since December and your answers, pictures and reports are there to see. :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Anyone knows where these ferries come from? Where they are built? If they are old and have previous owners/names? I tought they where built new in China for the company here, but someone said they are old catamarans from Norway. Any info would be of interest.
YNWA
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

huahin4ever wrote:Anyone knows where these ferries come from? Where they are built? If they are old and have previous owners/names? I tought they where built new in China for the company here, but someone said they are old catamarans from Norway. Any info would be of interest.
Read the thread, one of my previous posts tells you all
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thread page 23 has the info.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by huahin4ever »

StevePIraq wrote:
huahin4ever wrote:Anyone knows where these ferries come from? Where they are built? If they are old and have previous owners/names? I tought they where built new in China for the company here, but someone said they are old catamarans from Norway. Any info would be of interest.
Read the thread, one of my previous posts tells you all
Well, I have done that, and I found a post by Bigboy stating that the ferries are bought in China, but not if they are new or bought second hand? The link in that post just gave me "Page not found". So still would like to know if anyone has a link or info, or could point me to a different post I may have missed scrolling through 38 pages of posts!
YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The ferry was built in Australia using aluminium by Wavemaster Boats. The manufacturing part of the company went belly up in 2004, so it is at least more than 12 years old. The original owner still does design work.

http://www.wavemasterdesign.com/History.htm
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure I read somewhere, but can't find it now that the boat is 25 years old.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry project news and updates

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere, but can't find it now that the boat is 25 years old.
I found this on the net:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... b10be3693f

According to this it was built by Wavemaster in Australia in 91 for a Chinese company. Previous name was Wu Yi Hu. I wonder if that was the only previous owner though?
YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Official launch of Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ry-service

CHON BURI -- The official launch of the ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin was finally held on Sunday after a month's delay due to uncooperative weather conditions.

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith presided over the opening of the first ferry route across the Gulf of Thailand, linking Bali Hai pier in South Pattaya to the seaside resort town of Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. 

The weekend service was suspended and will resume on Monday as more than 200 guests and members of the press, including Thai superstars Mario Maurer and Davika 'Mai' Hoorne, attended the event. 

“The project was initiated in response to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s policy on promoting water transport between the western side and the eastern side of the Gulf of Thailand,” Mr Arkhom said. 

“It provides an alternative transportation mode and will later add value to the tourism industry in coastal provinces.”
After the opening ceremony, interested guests embarked on the Royal 1 ferry for the 113-kilometre trip to Khao Takiab pier in Hua Hin and return to Pattaya.

The journey was observed by a Royal Thai Navy Seahawk helicopter. 

Sunday’s official launch was postponed from Jan 12 after stormy seas caused the cancellation of many trips. The ferry service, operated by Royal Passenger Liner Ltd, launched unofficially on Jan 1, with free passage offered until Jan 31.

The double decker passenger catamaran Royal 1 carries 286 economy seats, each is priced at 1,250 baht a trip per head. It also offers 44 business class seats and two VIP rooms with eight seats in each room, but the operator has not yet determined the price of the business and VIP tickets. 

Royal Passenger Liner is selling an economy ticket at 999 baht throughout February, saying it is giving the discount to celebrate the month of love. 

The journey is advertised to take two hours, much shorter than the five-hour road trip. 

Marine Department director-general Sorasak Sansombat said the ferry service had received a warm welcome from commuters. 

A study was being conducted to offer the service to both passengers and vehicles, and to expand the routes. 

Tourist service stations and other amenities would be built to provide more comprehensive facilities, Mr Sorasak added.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Just watched the ferry leave and it looked like it was going to be a bumpy ride. Do anyone know if it common that people get see sick?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Ralfredo wrote:Just watched the ferry leave and it looked like it was going to be a bumpy ride. Do anyone know if it common that people get see sick?
yes very common on a vessel like that... I'd rather be on something far bigger... or a decent fin-keeler..
:mrgreen:
GN,
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Wave height was forecast as 2m so it will be choppy
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

My Grandad was an avid sailor in this day (small sailing cruisers) and he had a good friend that suffered with terrible sea-sickness. This guy had tried it all... pills, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, you name it, he had tried it. He was adamant he was to be a sailor.

Anyway; my dear Grandfather was determined to cure him so after several unsuccessful coastal trips he decided that the only cure was a weeks offshore hard sailing.
Trip all planned, prepared and ready to rock... up until the guy started throwing up walking down the pier..quite literally sea-sick before he even stepped foot on the yacht..

One of many of his favourites stories I like to hear time and time again.

Enjoy the sail folks... :thumb:
GN.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I think the majority of Thais come under the "not good sailors" heading.

I wouldn't fancy this crossing on anything other than a very calm day - going to be very uncomfortable today if it actually operates