Power cuts and electric supply fluctuations

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Power cuts and electric supply fluctuations

Post by Name Taken »

Does anyone else get fluctuations in their electrical power supply? Sometimes my air conditioner does a 'surging effect' during the day or evening but it doesn't do it all the time.
I'm also wondering if the electrical power fluctuations could be what is causing my water pump to shut down sometimes, it's either the electrical power fluctuations or harmonics that is causing my water pump to shut down sometimes.
buksida

Re: Power fluctuations - electric supply

Post by buksida »

Yes, almost a daily occurrence where we live (not in Hua Hin). Very little you can do aside from hope the electric dept upgrade the transformers and supply and get a decent UPS for your computer.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I don't know the answer to your question but the first thing I would check is the size of the electric wiring to your air conditioner. My experience is that even professional aircon installers take shortcuts and try to either reuse or install wiring that is too small per the manufacturers minimum recommended specifications. I'd check the wiring from the breaker box to the aircon and have it replaced with at least size #4 wires if it's not already.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I'd check the wiring from the breaker box to the aircon and have it replaced with at least size #4 wires if it's not already.
Cable sizes in Thailand are metric. A #4 SWG cable is around 27mm2, and has an ampacity of about 95 amps, probably about 6 times the size of the main supply cable. 4mm2 is more than enough for most domestic air cons.

But regardless of the conductor size it is not the cause of "surging". As Buksida has posted it is more likely an inadequate sized street transformer, along with overloaded and undersize street cables leading to large voltage drops on the supply. As it is not consistent, it is probably related to some other load on the system starting up. Not a great deal that you can do about it except complain to the supply authority.(PEA) If you can gather up enough complaints from neighbours they MAY do something about it, but unlikely.

As the voltage supply drops, the current(amps) increases, which will either trip an overload device, or just plain damage the equipment, and in the case of motors could eventually cause it to burn out.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Our power fluctuates all the time. So far in 5 years we've only lost one piece of electrical equipment, and that was a Canon Printer (not expensive). Worries me a lot though.

If the brightness of the lights is anything to go by, I'd guess we drop to well under 50% power.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You could look at installing a voltage regulator or stabilizer (not UPS) for your home. I do not know where these can be purchased around HH but they must be available. I installed a very large one overseas where we had tremendous fluctuations in the power supply, this kept a 7 story building with 35 air cons, lights, water heaters etc. pretty stable. or you could install one on just specific circuits of your house.
http://www.electricaltechnology.org/201 ... works.html
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Jesse wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 am I don't know the answer to your question but the first thing I would check is the size of the electric wiring to your air conditioner. My experience is that even professional aircon installers take shortcuts and try to either reuse or install wiring that is too small per the manufacturers minimum recommended specifications. I'd check the wiring from the breaker box to the aircon and have it replaced with at least size #4 wires if it's not already.
The person that installed our air conditioner did a very professional job, and the lights also dim slightly sometimes when the electrical power fluctuates. So I am certain that it's not the air conditioner wiring.

Thanks for the replies.
:cheers:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

A follow-up to the water pump issue.
It has taken me about one and a half months(50 days) to figure out what the water pump issue was.
It was not the electrical power and not the electrical outlet and it was not harmonics.
The issue with the water pump was that the electrical motor inside the pump housing was overheating and the water pump would shutdown and then turn back on after about 5-10 minutes, the electric motor inside the water pump housing was also heavily corroded.
The water pump was a Mitsubishi water pump, and I have replaced it with a Hitachi water pump.
The Hitachi water pump has outside vents exactly where the electric motor is inside the water pump housing and the electric motor on the Hitachi water pump has an anti-corrosive coating so it should be good to go.
The Mitsubishi water pump lasted for 5 years(it has a 5 year warranty) and it was only used for 6-7 months out of those 5 years, so that means that it lasted 6-7 months not 5 years.

Your Welcome.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I also have had to replace my Panasonic Shower Heater because the thermostat button( emergency heat shut off switch) on the top of the little boiler inside of the shower heater was malfunctioning and I was constantly having to reset it. I just replaced it with another el cheapo Panasonic Shower Heater(cost: 2,600 baht). The Panasonic Shower Heater that I replaced cost 6,000 baht.
I think Thailand needs to adopt the system that is used in the U.S. where you just have a single Hot Water Heater Tank that supplies hot and cold water throughout the entire house. The U.S. system is better because it is simplified and lasts longer, Hot Water Heater Tanks will last at least 10 years and the Water Pump and Shower Heater that I had replaced here in Thailand only lasted 5 years.
You also would never have to worry about getting electrocuted by your suicide shower :laugh: if the U.S. system were used.
It's like everything about residential homes and condos here is just done ad hoc style. :laugh:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Name Taken wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 am I think Thailand needs to adopt the system that is used in the U.S. where you just have a single Hot Water Heater Tank that supplies hot and cold water throughout the entire house.
I don't want to burst your bubble but this is not an idea unique to the U.S. :duck:

Actually, we do have this system in Thailand. We have a large electric hot water heater and tank in our pump-room that feeds every tap in the house. They're quite common in Home Pro and the like. However, we're on our second one in just over five years since the first one got furred-up by very hard "well-water" from when our development was first built. Now we're on Government water (occasionally!) and the water hardness is not an issue. Piping hot water on demand and no need to have electrical cables anywhere near the water pipes in the bathroom or kitchen. :thumb:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

J.J.B. wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:48 am
Name Taken wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 am I think Thailand needs to adopt the system that is used in the U.S. where you just have a single Hot Water Heater Tank that supplies hot and cold water throughout the entire house.
I don't want to burst your bubble but this is not an idea unique to the U.S. :duck:

Actually, we do have this system in Thailand. We have a large electric hot water heater and tank in our pump-room that feeds every tap in the house. They're quite common in Home Pro and the like. However, we're on our second one in just over five years since the first one got furred-up by very hard "well-water" from when our development was first built. Now we're on Government water (occasionally!) and the water hardness is not an issue. Piping hot water on demand and no need to have electrical cables anywhere near the water pipes in the bathroom or kitchen. :thumb:
I wasn't trying to imply that it was an idea unique to the U.S.

So do you have a separate water pump and water tank? :? And could you provide a link to the system you are talking about because I looked at the Home Pro website and did not see anything like what you have mentioned in your post on the Home Pro website.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Name Taken wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 am
So do you have a separate water pump and water tank? :? And could you provide a link to the system you are talking about because I looked at the Home Pro website and did not see anything like what you have mentioned in your post on the Home Pro website.
We have just one pump, a standard Mitsubishi one we got from Big Kiang (again, the first one failed but not due to hard water) and perhaps it serves two circuits, I don't know. We have one combined water heater/tank on the wall that came from HomePro https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1016384 and when we turn the hot tap on in the house, we get hot water. If you want to come and take a look, you'd be more than welcome. Might even have a cold Singha for you too.
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It probably does not need pointing out, but then again: :wink:
The plumbing is entirely different if using a single storage tank hot water system. It needs to be either built that way during construction, or if later,the "Thai way" with all the piping exposed on the walls.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

J.J.B. wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:46 am
Name Taken wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 am
We have just one pump, a standard Mitsubishi one we got from Big Kiang (again, the first one failed but not due to hard water) and perhaps it serves two circuits, I don't know. We have one combined water heater/tank on the wall that came from HomePro https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1016384 and when we turn the hot tap on in the house, we get hot water. If you want to come and take a look, you'd be more than welcome. Might even have a cold Singha for you too.
Thanks for providing the link.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Nereus wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 am It probably does not need pointing out, but then again: :wink:
The plumbing is entirely different if using a single storage tank hot water system. It needs to be either built that way during construction, or if later,the "Thai way" with all the piping exposed on the walls.
Happily ours was built that way.

Thankfully! :D
Wilde