Songkran 2017

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Songkran 2017

Post by HHTel »

I notice it does specifically state Khaosan Road which is understandable considering it's proximity to the Grand Palace.. Are we to assume that elsewhere it's business as usual?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think we're all waiting for the answer to that one HHT. I've been posting Hua Hin updates as I see them, but everything is talking about traditional so far. However, I notice the Super Soakers are on sale :wink:

Methinks it'll only take a single salvo to start a war :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I've seen a couple of Songkran Foam Parties advertised around town, and now the 5 Street event that normally kicks things off is being advertised. I guess Songkran will be as crazy as ever this year :D.
5_Street.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:37 pm OK, I've seen a couple of Songkran Foam Parties advertised around town, and now the 5 Street event that normally kicks things off is being advertised. I guess Songkran will be as crazy as ever this year :D.

5_Street.jpg
OF COURSE
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Rules have been issued regarding celebration of Songkran this year. Here is the Thai text from the Thai News Agency:
ประจวบคีรีขันธ์ 1 เม.ย.-ผู้การประจวบฯ ยืนยันสงกรานต์ปีนี้ ในพื้นที่ อ.หัวหิน จะมีการกำหนดโซนนิ่งห้ามเล่นสาดน้ำเกินเที่ยงคืน จะไม่ปล่อยให้เล่นสาดน้ำแบบฟรีสไตล์ข้ามวันข้ามคืนเหมือนปีก่อนๆอย่างเด็ดขาด

พล.ต.ต.ประเสริฐ ศิริพรรณาภิรัตน์ ผู้บังคับการประจำกองบัญชาการตำรวจภูธรภาค 7 รักษาการ ผบก.ภ.จว.ประจวบคีรีขันธ์ เปิดเผยถึงมาตรการดูแลความปลอดภัยในช่วงเทศกาลสงกรานต์ปีนี้ ว่า การเล่นสาดน้ำที่ อ.หัวหิน ในวันที่ 12-13 เม.ย.นี้ คาดว่าจะมีนักท่องเที่ยวทั้งชาวไทยและชาวต่างชาติจำนวนมาก หน่วยงานที่เกี่ยวข้องทุกฝ่ายจะระดมกำลังเจ้าหน้าที่หลายร้อยนาย เพื่ออำนวยความสะดวกด้านการจราจร และรักษาความปลอดภัยอย่างเต็มที่ มีการกำหนดโซนนิ่งที่ชัดเจนไม่ให้เล่นสาดน้ำเกินเวลาเที่ยงคืน หลังจากที่ผ่านมาไม่เคยมีการกำหนดเวลา แต่ปีนี้ยืนยันว่าจะไม่มีการเล่นสาดน้ำแบบฟรีสไตล์ข้ามวันข้ามคืนอย่างเด็ดขาด

นอกจากนี้ จะมีการคุมเข้มมาตรการตามกฎหมาย ห้ามจำหน่ายและดื่มแอลกอฮอล์ในพื้นที่สาธารณะ รวมทั้งจะดูแลเครือข่ายกล้องวงจรปิดในพื้นที่เป้าหมายให้สามารถใช้การได้ หลังจากที่เทศกาลสงกรานต์ปีที่แล้ว มีนักท่องเที่ยวชาวอังกฤษถูกรุมทำร้ายร่างกายได้รับบาดเจ็บสาหัส สาเหตุจากเมาสุรา เป็นข่าวดังไปทั่วโลก และเมื่อเดือนสิงหาคม 2559 เกิดเหตุลอบวางระเบิดในย่านการท่องเที่ยวกลางเมืองหัวหิน ทำให้มีผู้เสียชีวิตและบาดเจ็บจำนวนมาก ทำให้ทุกฝ่ายต้องตระหนักถึงปัญหานี้.-สำนักข่าวไทย
My interpretation is:

- No water splashing after midnight.
- No selling of alcohol in public places (not sure what the defination of public place is).
- Water splashing in designated areas only.

I'd be grateful if any of our Thai readers could clarify the above text plese, and maybe put a little more meat on the bone.

Full story: TNA

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 am and maybe put a little more beat on the bone.

:? :wink:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - will amend. Thank you. :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Songkran flyer for Petchaburi, which includes concerts.

More details - Contact 032-471005-6 a. Office Phetchaburi
Songkran_Petch.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

no selling or drinking of alcohol in public places, i.e. outside of your home, bars, restaurants, etc. the rest of the article is about things that happened in the past: beating of English tourists and bombing in the night market. I thank my wife for the translation.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BB below is a transliteration of the Thai text hope it helps

Prachuap Khiri Khan 1 April Commanding Officer Prachuab..
Confirm Songkran this year at the place of Hua Hin district will have Zone is not allowed to play water over midnight. Do not let the splash freestyle during day and night like previous years absolutely.
Maj. Gen. Prasert Siripanakipirati Commander of the 7th Regional Police Division, Acting Police Chief Prachuap Khiri Khan Revealing safety measures during the Songkran Festival this year that the splash of water in Hua Hin on 12-13 April is expected to include both Thai and foreign tourists. All relevant agencies will mobilize hundreds of officials. To facilitate traffic And fully secure Clear zones are defined not to splash water over midnight. In the past has never been scheduled. But this year, it is confirmed that there will be no freestyle splashing across the night.
In addition, there will be strict enforcement of legal measures. Do not distribute and drink alcohol in public areas. It will also monitor the CCTV network in the target area to be able to work. After last year's Songkran Festival British tourists have been beaten seriously injured. Cause of drunkenness. It's the news around the world. And in August 2559, a bomb attack in the downtown Hua Hin. Resulting in many deaths and injuries. All parties need to be aware of this problem.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Personally I do not agree with the midnight limit, I think it should be a little after sundown which is what happens in most places in Bangkok. I'd be really annoyed to get splashed around late evening (8pm onwards) if I was enjoying a beer on some terrace on the Binta Block or similar. However, as they say in Thailand, 'Up To You'.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you - it would be useful for many to understand what they mean by 'Public Areas'

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Looks as though the Bluport celebration will be on the 13th, with a concert running from 12:00 to 22:00.
blu.jpg
blu.jpg (63.53 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Songkran 2017

Post by hhinner »

VincentD wrote:Personally I do not agree with the midnight limit, I think it should be a little after sundown which is what happens in most places in Bangkok. I'd be really annoyed to get splashed around late evening (8pm onwards) if I was enjoying a beer on some terrace on the Binta Block or similar. However, as they say in Thailand, 'Up To You'.
Usually in Hua Hin the water throwing stops at around 5pm on the 13th, except in the entertainment areas around bintabat, and maybe soi 80 as well these days. The TNA report is very poor, even though it's in Thai. It mentions there will be well marked "quiet" or "peaceful" areas where splashing will have to stop at midnight (between 12th and 13th?). Why bother at midnight? And no mention of water splashing throughout Hua Hin in general and when it will stop on 13th. Most HH residents would expect to be safe from water splashing after 5pm on 13th, and all day on the 12th. Except the entertainment areas maybe.