Finance advice - investment accounts in Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
magsandbilly

Finance advice - investment accounts in Thailand

Post by magsandbilly »

Hi
Wonder if someone out there could point us in the right direction.
My husband and I are working our way towards retiring to Hua Hin. We are trying to find if there is any investments/accounts in Thailand that will give us a return of about 4%ish on our capital. The capital to be invested and we live off the return. We are Low risk investors.

Maybe we are asking for something that is not possible but we've got nothing to lose.

Appreciate any input/pointers/advice
Thanks
blanes2007
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Finance advice - investment accounts in Thailand

Post by blanes2007 »

In Thailand - no way, as far as I know.

How about opening US DOLLARS fixed deposit account in nearby Cambodia? Canadia Bank (the biggest one) gives 4,75% interest rate for a non-resident clients. Relatively reliable...
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Careful!!! Thailand is the cradle for Boiler Room crooks!!!
YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

open an investment acct. in the u.s. and do a monthly transfer, via Bangkok bank u.s. to Bangkok bank Thailand. it's about $35 per transfer. if you can do it less than monthly then you'll save some money. do not invest in Thailand it's a black hole.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:55 pm open an investment acct. in the u.s. and do a monthly transfer, via Bangkok bank u.s. to Bangkok bank Thailand. it's about $35 per transfer. if you can do it less than monthly then you'll save some money. do not invest in Thailand it's a black hole.
Yes, you can do the same in the UK, I run part of my pension fund through Lloyds direct online that allows you to buy shares, funds and etf's in all the major markets. There are bond etf's that will give you about 4%, paid in dividends and they can appreciate in value as well. ( Or drop if you get it wrong! )
I've had some success with this over the last few years, it pays about 3.5% but the total returns have been quite a bit more:
https://www.ishares.com/uk/intermediari ... rmediaries
magsandbilly

Post by magsandbilly »

Thanks for all of this guys. Thanks for the warnings and suggestions.

Also heard it would be difficult to take money back out of Thailand if I brought a lot in and put into a savings account.

So a lot to ponder.

Much appreciate this forum for the quick responses.
:cheers:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

magsandbilly wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:15 pm
Also heard it would be difficult to take money back out of Thailand if I brought a lot in and put into a savings account.

:cheers:
Not so nowadays, search this forum for taking money out of Thailand, it has been discussed before. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

handdrummer wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:55 pm open an investment acct. in the u.s. and do a monthly transfer, via Bangkok bank u.s. to Bangkok bank Thailand. it's about $35 per transfer. if you can do it less than monthly then you'll save some money. do not invest in Thailand it's a black hole.
:agree: