5,000 potential 'Grenfell Towers' in Bangkok

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

5,000 potential 'Grenfell Towers' in Bangkok

Post by Nereus »

5,000 potential 'Grenfell towers' in city, experts warn

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... perts-warn

More than 5,000 buildings in Bangkok are not certified for fire safety as required by law, meaning they are potentially hazardous and subject to penalties for lacking the so-called Ror 1 certificate, officials said yesterday.

Over 10,000 structures in the capital are required by the Building Control Act to have annual inspections and receive a yearly certificate but over half have not done so since the act was implemented a decade ago, said Wasawat Kitsiriteeraphak, president of the Building Safety Inspectors and Officers Association (BSA).

According to the act, the owner of any building that lacks proper certification must pay an immediate penalty up to 60,000 baht plus a daily charge of 10,000 baht until the inspection is held and the proper documentation provided.

In reality, however, the penalties are discretionary and the fine may be reduced to as little as 1 baht, Mr Wasawat said.

"Many owners ignore the regulations because they are afraid the authorities will find they have no system to make their building safe," he added.

In the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire in London last Wednesday, which left scores dead, old and high-rise buildings in Bangkok must be inspected urgently, said Chan Sirirat, assistant managing director of property consultant firm Plus Property Co.

"Building managers should use [that] as a case study and seek preventive measures," Mr Chan said. "Fire escapes, alarms and fire-detection systems must all be operating and up to date."

Media reports said Grenfell Tower residents failed to hear the fire alarms that fateful night, while fire escapes were obstructed by materials used for building renovation two years ago -- many of which were highly flammable.

One blaze that erupted last year at a cinema complex in Bangkok prompted the Office of the Auditor-General of Thailand to investigate why the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, which is responsible for issuing Ror 1 certificates, had not followed the inspection law.

"Though the building was built in 1995, three years after ministerial regulation No.33 [1992] in the Building Control Act 1992 took effect, it had no fire alarms or sprinklers. As a result, the damage from the fire was severe," Mr Wasawat said.

According to the regulation, new buildings of a certain size, buildings that are 23 metres or higher, or which have a total area of 10,000 sqm or more, are required to meet certain safety standards to prevent the spread of fires.

"It is very dangerous for a public-use building to not have safety standards. In the event of an accident, the losses could be severe," he said. "Annual building inspections can help prevent risk."

He said most hotels and factories in the city follow the rules or they would not have their business licences renewed.

"Entertainment complexes are vulnerable to fire because most lack the proper permit to operate," he said, citing the Zantika Pub tragedy, which was gutted by fire several years ago.

Thailand has around 2,000 licensed building inspectors in the form of engineers and architects, plus 200-300 licensed inspection companies that can cover all buildings.

"It's all about awareness," said Mr Wasawat, who also serves as managing director of Construction Audit Co, which inspects buildings.

He said some owners skipped fire-prevention measures to cut costs without realising they were putting their entire operation at risk.

According to Plus Property, Bangkok has 3,000 buildings higher than 23 metres (seven floors). Around one third were built within the last decade, its research shows.

"We are concerned about buildings aged 20 years or older. Most are old buildings, prone to risk of short circuits or fire as the system has been used for a very long period. They should have a fire-safety inspection annually to reduce loss, damage and casualties," it said in a report.

Newer buildings must have their fire alarms and sprinklers tested regularly, it added.
.............................................................................................
flying pig.jpg
flying pig.jpg (9.84 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: 5,000 potential 'Grenfell Towers' in Bangkok

Post by HHTel »

Thailand has around 2,000 licensed building inspectors in the form of engineers and architects, plus 200-300 licensed inspection companies that can cover all buildings.
I would guess that some of those building inspectors give out certificates of health for a fee!!

That works with VAT men in the UK. Done it several times. A few quid and your books are passed and the VAT man gets a day off. BUT no lives are put in danger. The UK is not all squeaky clean but when it comes to safety and peoples lives, there is no excuse.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Bangkok buildings are more recent that those London buildings. I believe they are more safe that all this Brit ruins.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

This came up a few years ago if I remember correctly, lots of talk, promises made, bugger all done.
When it costs big money to have safe buildings, but small money to pay off the officials, which is going to happen? Remember, TIT. :roll:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it's better to let your building burn and collect the insurance, hence all the burned out buildings in Bangkok. the owners should be made to tear them down after a fire, before they can collect the insurance.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Khundon1975 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm This came up a few years ago if I remember correctly, lots of talk, promises made, bugger all done.
When it costs big money to have safe buildings, but small money to pay off the officials, which is going to happen? Remember, TIT. :roll:
According to some informations I got, 3 to 4 governments of the past were aware of the danger. What did they do ? They also had some connections, not only TIT.........
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

^ The difference being in this case is I have never heard of any Thai government ordering a public enquiry, at least one that has the power to summon witnesses on oath and which will have to be published. Also, the fire in the UK is now also the subject of a police enquiry.
As the original OP was about Thailand tower blocks I repeat. TIT. :thumb:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Teresa May stood up in Parliament today and said basically there are many more tower blocks covered in combustible material. Three samples of cladding tested so far were from 3 blocks in England. How many blocks affected is yet to be ascertained.
Also the chief executive of Kensington council has resigned.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Khundon1975 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm ^
As the original OP was about Thailand tower blocks I repeat. TIT. :thumb:
What is the equivalent of TIT ?? TIB........
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

europtimiste wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 pm
Khundon1975 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm This came up a few years ago if I remember correctly, lots of talk, promises made, bugger all done.

europtimiste wrote
"According to some informations I got, 3 to 4 governments of the past were aware of the danger. What did they do ? They also had some connections, not only TIT"......

Khundon wrote
I don't know if TIB is the equivalent of TIT nor do I much care, but I do know I don't like my post having your words added to it. Please in future, put your name to what you post don't add to another's post. It's easy to do. :thumb:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Khundon1975 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Khundon wrote
I don't know if TIB is the equivalent of TIT nor do I much care, but I do know I don't like my post having your words added to it. Please in future, put your name to what you post don't add to another's post. It's easy to do. :thumb:
TIB....This is Brit or This Is Brexit.......Up to U
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

City Hall starts high-rise fire safety drive

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... fety-drive

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is calling for fire safety instructions to be prominently displayed in all high-rises and large buildings in the capital as it launches a high-profile fire-safety and awareness campaign.

Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang said City Hall has come up with a 10-point set of safety instructions on what to do in case of fire and wants them displayed in thousands of tall and large buildings or made easily available to their occupants.

He said Bangkok is home to 2,810 buildings higher than 23 metres, or eight storeys, and city officials are concerned about fire safety measures in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy in London which left scores dead.

The BMA's Department of Public Works, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, and all 50 district offices are intensifying inspections of high-rises and providing guidelines to help improve fire safety measures in them, the governor said.

The BMA safety instructions calls for occupants of a building to familiarise themselves with the building's fire safety system, floor plans, fire alarms and fire exits. The instructions also outline how to escape safely from a room and a building if a fire occurs.

The governor was speaking as he led a team of city officials from various departments and experts from the Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) to inspect the Bai Yok 1 building in Ratchathewi district.

He said the mangers of the building has strictly adhered to fire regulations over the years. The 43-storey building was constructed in 1984 before the enforcement of revised regulations under the Building Control Act. Its owner has applied for an annual inspection and if it meets all the requirements, it will be certified and issued a so-called Ror 1 certificate.

Of 2,810 high-rises in the city, 1,033 were built before the enforcement of the revised regulations.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The earlier story claimed 'over 10,000 structures in Bangkok requiring fire safety inspections' (over 23 mtrs high) with 5,000 having not been inspected. Now they say 2,810 higher than 23 mtrs in total.

Who does the counting?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess they've pulled the Bangkok boundaries inwards a bit.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

re the Grenfell towers: shouldn't the owners, builders and inspectors be arraigned? all should have known that the wrong cladding was used and all should do prison time.