Junta to launch nationwide corruption complaint center

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Junta to launch nationwide corruption complaint center

Post by buksida »

In a renewed effort to get rid of corruption and malfeasance, the junta announced a plan to install complaint centers in army units throughout the country, so members of the public can notify them if they see officials abusing their power.

“The centers would be set up in every province. The soldiers would take your complaints,” junta spokesman Winthai Suvaree said by phone. “There would also be a hotline for the central unit, and anyone who has documents or CDs as evidence, they would be able to send them via mail.”

Asked whether the new role of the military would overlap with that of other watchdog agencies, such as the National Anti-Corruption Commission, NACC, the spokesman said the centers would help speed up complaints from the citizens and make sure they get attention from the relevant officials.

“Sometimes people air their complaints on social media, but they don’t reach important agencies such as the NACC,” Winthai said, using the acronym of the anti-corruption commission. “If you complain on social media, it may not go anywhere. But if you send it to us, the state will accept it, and if it has a basis, we will send it to state agencies to proceed.”

But the military itself is often accused of corruption and silencing whistleblowers. Just last month, an activist was arrested a day before he was to file a petition asking the military government to disclose details of a controversial high-speed railway project it signed with China. He submitted it several days after he was released from custody.

A dozen activists are also on trial under the military tribunal for their transparency campaign over a multi-billion baht monument complex they believe to be fraught with financial irregularity.

So what if someone saw soldiers in their area misbehaving? Could they trust the military to impartially investigate the complaints? Winchai said they could; arguing that the public can simply notify other units that are not related to the wrongdoers.

“If they send evidence to the central agency, we will take action,” Winthai said. “If you see anyone engaging in malfeasance, you don’t have to talk to that person. You can tell other people.”

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... ationwide/

Thought- so you can now report corruption to the army, as long as it is not the army being corrupt. The Thought Police are waiting.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Junta to launch nationwide corruption complaint center

Post by 404cameljockey »

The new immigration centre in Bluport has a tablet on the desk asking you to rate various aspects of service out of five stars. The last question (I can't remember the exact wording) asks how satisfied were you with the staff asking/not asking for personal compensation. Marks out of five ... TIT.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Listening to other's experiences at immigration offices around the country, HH Immigration must be one of the best. Always helpful. Always polite. Speedy service. They even have 'helpers' to assist the many different nationalities. They refused point blank to be party to the 'extra information' required. (since died a death everywhere).
Other offices could learn a lot from the immigration office here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

i went to bluport today for my 90 day report. no paperwork, in and out in under 5 mins. all my info was on the computer. I was asked for only my address. the person attending me was polite and efficient. can't ask for more than that.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I agre Bluport is very efficient for 90 day reporting, and completely empty during the weekday. Shame they can't handle visa renewals. I hope the new Hin Lek Fai office will be as good, as I'll need a visa renewal in September. It should be open in August they say.

Regarding staff 'compensation' I've never been asked for anything, but my 90 day reporting, proof of address form etc. is very simple and can't really be fudged, plus I'm ultra polite and urbane (no, honestly). Last month at the old office by the Palace a young Thai lady, after sitting at the desk with the officer for a while, went out to her car and came back with a bottle of spirits in a plastic bag which went across the counter before the transaction continued. I think it was a problem with her stuff rather than the farang she was with. Tea money of course oils the wheels in difficult cases.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 pm i went to bluport today for my 90 day report. no paperwork, in and out in under 5 mins. all my info was on the computer. I was asked for only my address. the person attending me was polite and efficient. can't ask for more than that.
You didn't even need the TM47?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I hope that nobody steals the money that has been allocated to set up the corruption center-- The challenge will be to prevent the anti-corruption office from being corrupt.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've only ever turned up with my passport for 90 day reporting. The slip is printed off their computer and Bob's your uncle!
It should be open in August they say.
'Opening in March', then 'May' on the last visit I was told 'June'. Now 'August'!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:25 am 'Opening in March', then 'May' on the last visit I was told 'June'. Now 'August'!!
I'd say August is optimistic. I drove past two days ago and they haven't fitted all the windows yet, yet alone started on the inside.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Cool. I'll still print and take my TM47 just because, but I agree, hats off to Hua Hin Immigration.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

The Bluport immigration office thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33505
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks Lev. We are sheep being led down different roads!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am
handdrummer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 pm i went to bluport today for my 90 day report. no paperwork, in and out in under 5 mins. all my info was on the computer. I was asked for only my address. the person attending me was polite and efficient. can't ask for more than that.
You didn't even need the TM47?
no, no paper work, no signatures.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Yes, YOU in Hua Hin have probably the best and most efficient Immigration office around. When I lived there I had no hassles with anyone there with quick and efficient service. If you want to experience the real horrors of Immigration I invite you to come to Nakhon Si Thammarat where you will be tossed many extra requirements that aren't listed anywhere. The officer who handles the Visa renewals is on a power trip and just lights up if he finds any Minute thing wrong. If you get upset he really comes alive with a big smile on his face. Further we have to drive over an hour to get there and if anything is wrong have to return another time/day for correction. So far this year they have four copies of every page of my passport that seem to be required every time I go in for anything other than 90 day.

Yes, enjoy yourselves there with Hua Hin Immigration.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

brianks wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 am Yes, YOU in Hua Hin have probably the best and most efficient Immigration office around.
Yes, enjoy yourselves there with Hua Hin Immigration.
I feel we as a group need to check our Hua Hin privilege and acknowledge our Hua Hin guilt.
But then again :dance: