Animal abuse Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Animal abuse Thailand

Post by Takiap »

Spitfire wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:00 pm As a general observation, most locals only seem to care for dogs and the rest of the animal world is fair game. They recently past a law protecting dogs (nothing else) so that you can't do sweet FA against them even if you are attacked.

:|

Not quite true. The only locals who really care about dogs, and not all dogs, are those you see walking around with their tiny lap dogs in Hello Kitty baskets.

From my observations here, most locals, and particularly those from rural areas, place far more value of chickens.

As a rule, livestock animals are valuable, while all others mean very little. As far as these horses are concerned, their owners have no love for them. They are simply a source of income, and so long as they can bring in some money, they will be kept alive. Being low season, there's not much money to be made offering horse rides on the beach, hence the reason why you are seeing these horses tethered in fields. :banghead:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

My Thai wife made what appears to be a very accurate statement about dogs in Thailand.

People love them when they are cute, cuddly, playful puppies. But they get tired of taking care of the once the dog passes that stage.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

The statement your wife made applies to many country not just Thailand
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Up at Wat Ittisukhato, the land opposite Hua Hin dog shelter had an electric fence installed some time ago and horses are kept therein. I don't know whether this land has been rented by horse owners or whether the tessaban saw a problem and this is the solution.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I've met and talked to Thais in the street who obviously care about their grown dogs as pets, and at the Pitbull/Staffie show at Market Village a few months ago I spoke to (tried to speak to) all the owners I saw who hadn't clipped ears and docked tails, and shook their hands. They were a reasonable-sized minority I admit, but of course there are people all over the western world who clip ears and dock tails, as well as inbreeding sicknesses and malformations for the sake of a more 'attractive' look.

Adopt don't shop needs to be aggressively pushed here. Since February this year I believe that Los Angeles pet shops have only been allowed to sell rescue dogs. I'm in favour.

If you go to Kasetsart vet hospital even on a weekday you'll see quite a few proper-sized dogs of all descriptions, not teacup or miniature size. There are a few of those too of course being carried in baby pouches. Each to their own. If they all pay vet bills then I guess they all care about their dogs.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I would adopt a dog if I had a yard/garden (American/English lol) for it.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:58 am Adopt don't shop needs to be aggressively pushed here.
I certainly see where you are coming from, but such an approach is also flawed. Tens of thousands of Thais "adopt" street dogs, but they are rarely adopted in the true sense of the word. Instead, they are given water and left over food scraps, and more often than not, allowed to continue roaming the streets.

Now, if such owners went out and spent several thousands of baht on a dog/breed of their choice, they would be far more inclined to look after their dogs in a more responsible manner.

Also, just as with many things in life, people have personal preferences when it comes to dog breeds, particularly if you have owned various different breeds. Regardless of what some people might say, not all breeds are the same. Yes, I'm sure any breed or any mixed breed can be a wonderful loving pet, but some people like certain traits which tend to be more common among certain breeds.

I have owned a number of different breeds, as well as several mixed breeds, and I must be honest and say that I prefer being able to shop for a particular breed. In my case, that would either be a doberman or a rottweiler.

I have owned both of these breeds on more than one occasion, and I'm sorry, but they are both awesome breeds. The ones which I have owned have been way, way, way better than any mongrel I have owned. By the way, our current dog is a lovely dog rescued from the sois, but it is certainly not in the same league as a dobe or a rotti. :duck:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Takiap wrote:I have owned a number of different breeds, as well as several mixed breeds, and I must be honest and say that I prefer being able to shop for a particular breed. In my case, that would either be a doberman or a rottweiler.
Hmm, wot about that white and black one? Better not mention that! :rasta:

(do you still have the big slobberer?)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Is there a large scale spay or neuter program here for stray dogs and cats?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 pm
I certainly see where you are coming from, but such an approach is also flawed. Tens of thousands of Thais "adopt" street dogs, but they are rarely adopted in the true sense of the word. Instead, they are given water and left over food scraps, and more often than not, allowed to continue roaming the streets.

Now, if such owners went out and spent several thousands of baht on a dog/breed of their choice, they would be far more inclined to look after their dogs in a more responsible manner.
Yes they already do that, and that's not adopting. I'm suggesting that people who will pay money for a pet to actually care for should take rescue dogs, not at all the same thing as leaving food and water outside for a street dog (which is also a good thing IMO). If you believe some people will not take as much care of a pet that costs them a few hundred baht (for compulsory inoculations/registration before adoption, as is done in Dubai) than one that costs them many thousands, then the fault is with those specific people.
I have owned a number of different breeds, as well as several mixed breeds, and I must be honest and say that I prefer being able to shop for a particular breed. In my case, that would either be a doberman or a rottweiler.

I have owned both of these breeds on more than one occasion, and I'm sorry, but they are both awesome breeds. The ones which I have owned have been way, way, way better than any mongrel I have owned. By the way, our current dog is a lovely dog rescued from the sois, but it is certainly not in the same league as a dobe or a rotti. :duck:

:cheers:
We have to agree to disagree. Having owned both pure and mixed breeds (currently a rescue dog from UAE) over many years, I could never accept that one dog is 'better' than another because it's a pure breed, whether talking about looks, temperament or whatever. Different maybe but not better, in fact sometimes worse due to overbreeding (German Shepherds are suffering now because of the trend to give them sloping backs). :(

I'd be happy for pet shops here to be forced to sell only rescue dogs as in San Francisco (sorry I said LA before, mistake), but then I also believe that people should have to register and microchip dogs if they want to own them.

Cheers
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Nereus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:52 pm
Takiap wrote:I have owned a number of different breeds, as well as several mixed breeds, and I must be honest and say that I prefer being able to shop for a particular breed. In my case, that would either be a doberman or a rottweiler.

No mate, the Dalmatian died from old age, just went and lay down under a tree, put her head down and then drifted away.

The big slobbering rotti, followed suite about one week later. When the dal died, the rotti just seemed to lose all interest in life. She was still the same friendly slobbering beast, but just kept very much to herself, and believe it or not, but the too went and lay down under the same tree and died.

She was a lovely gentle giant that I will remember forever. :thumb:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Somber question.

What do people do here with deceased pets?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We haven't had that trauma here yet, but neighbours tend to wrap in black bin bags and bury deep on the waste ground opposite. That can be quite a chore during dry season, with the ground being so hard.

I'm not sure, but I think it was Takiab who once said on here that the monks at Wat Bo Fai offered a cremation service.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 am Somber question.

What do people do here with deceased pets?
When my dog died in UK he was buried in the garden and a bush planted over him, just as my dad used to do with his dogs. I'd do the same here, I can't stand the though of their body being unceremoniously disposed of after many years of devotion, welling up just thinking about that. :( I don't know about other pets.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:02 am
Nereus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:52 pm

No mate, the Dalmatian died from old age, just went and lay down under a tree, put her head down and then drifted away.

The big slobbering rotti, followed suite about one week later. When the dal died, the rotti just seemed to lose all interest in life. She was still the same friendly slobbering beast, but just kept very much to herself, and believe it or not, but the too went and lay down under the same tree and died.

She was a lovely gentle giant that I will remember forever. :thumb:
What a moving story. My 16 year old Staffie in the UK went deaf and blind but was very healthy and knew his way perfectly around the house and garden so we didn't move anything around. One night he just peacefully keeled over and stopped breathing while coming into the house after taking a leak in the garden. I'd love to go like that! (but I'd need to start peeing in the garden)

Sorry for the digression.