Jalapeños at Villa Market!

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Jalapeños at Villa Market!

Post by Homer »

Hey Yanks, get 'em while they're hot. Can't remember the last time I saw them on the shelf. Four oz (113g) cans of nacho sliced from Casa Fiesta at 84b. They also have 2 other types of peppers from Casa Fiesta.

Forgot to get the GPS coordinates. Aisle 4, to the right of the vinegars and above the Vlasic pickles.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Jalapeños at Villa Market!

Post by RCer »

Makro Hua Hin had them yesterday. Unfortunately they don't store well.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Homer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:30 am Hey Yanks, get 'em while they're hot. Can't remember the last time I saw them on the shelf. Four oz (113g) cans of nacho sliced from Casa Fiesta at 84b. They also have 2 other types of peppers from Casa Fiesta.

Forgot to get the GPS coordinates. Aisle 4, to the right of the vinegars and above the Vlasic pickles.
You know where they keep the Schwarzenegger dolls? Aisle B, back....
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

RCer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 am Unfortunately they don't store well.
Huh? They're pickled aren't they? They pretty much last forever so long as they're kept in the fridge. I got mine from Villa Market about 6 months ago and they still seem fine...
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Pleng wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 pm
RCer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 am Unfortunately they don't store well.
Huh? They're pickled aren't they? They pretty much last forever so long as they're kept in the fridge. I got mine from Villa Market about 6 months ago and they still seem fine...
No. Fesh. I don't eat pickled Jalepenos.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Most Americans wouldn't recognise a fresh japaleno (or real cheese for that matter).
I would not want a raw unpickled pepper in my burger, dog, nachos, etc.
I'll try to get to Market Village before they're gone.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

So easy to grow
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm I'll try to get to Market Village before they're gone.
Villa Market, even! :)
And I wouldn't worry too much; as I said I bought mine there about 6 months ago so I'm guessing they've been there the whole time (though I suppose it's possible then and now are the only two times they've been available and there was a lack of supply in between).

I think I've also seen them in Gourmet Supermarket but can't be 100% sure.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm Most Americans wouldn't recognise a fresh japaleno (or real cheese for that matter).
"most"? every American that I know, and that's a lot, knows what real cheese and jalapenos are. in the 1950's that may have been true. until I went to france in '61, I'd never tasted real cheese. that was a revelation.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 am
404cameljockey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm Most Americans wouldn't recognise a fresh japaleno (or real cheese for that matter).
"most"? every American that I know, and that's a lot, knows what real cheese and jalapenos are. in the 1950's that may have been true. until I went to france in '61, I'd never tasted real cheese. that was a revelation.
Actually, 404 has a point. "Most" Americans eat in fine dining establishments like Subway, Mc Donalds, Pizza Hut, etc. None of which serve real Jalapenos nor real Cheese. Even most TexMex places have switched to pickled peppers, sadly.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 am
handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 am
Actually, 404 has a point. "Most" Americans eat in fine dining establishments like Subway, Mc Donalds, Pizza Hut, etc. None of which serve real Jalapenos nor real Cheese. Even most TexMex places have switched to pickled peppers, sadly.
Yes my point is that the great unwashed in any country exist on fast and/or junk food. So pIckled peppers all the way. Most Americans have not travelled outside the USA and you have not met them.

Anyway, off topic, plus I like pickled peppers. :D
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Pleng wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm I'll try to get to Market Village before they're gone.
Villa Market, even! :)
And I wouldn't worry too much; as I said I bought mine there about 6 months ago so I'm guessing they've been there the whole time (though I suppose it's possible then and now are the only two times they've been available and there was a lack of supply in between).

I think I've also seen them in Gourmet Supermarket but can't be 100% sure.
Thanks, I would have been wandering the MV isles like a plum!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Pleng wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm And I wouldn't worry too much; as I said I bought mine there about 6 months ago so I'm guessing they've been there the whole time (though I suppose it's possible then and now are the only two times they've been available and there was a lack of supply in between).
i ran out of jalepenos months ago. I scan that aisle every few weeks for new stuff and jalepenos. Finally found some.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

RCer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 pmNo. Fesh. I don't eat pickled Jalepenos.
Very few restaurants where I've lived used fresh jalepenos, and then only a slice as a garnish. Several reasons why. It's far faster to open a can then to remove the seeds and ribs from a jalepeno. Cutting hot peppers puts you at risk for a squirt of capsaicin in the eyeball or transferring some from your hands to your eyes, so gloves and goggles are either a good idea or required by your workman's comp insurance. They have to be prepared on a dedicated surface to prevent capsaicin transfer to other foods. Most forms of Mexican food I've had benefit from a little added acid, either in the form of lime - or vinegar from the jalepenos.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Homer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 pm
RCer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 pmNo. Fesh. I don't eat pickled Jalepenos.
Very few restaurants where I've lived used fresh jalepenos, and then only a slice as a garnish. Several reasons why. It's far faster to open a can then to remove the seeds and ribs from a jalepeno. Cutting hot peppers puts you at risk for a squirt of capsaicin in the eyeball or transferring some from your hands to your eyes, so gloves and goggles are either a good idea or required by your workman's comp insurance. They have to be prepared on a dedicated surface to prevent capsaicin transfer to other foods. Most forms of Mexican food I've had benefit from a little added acid, either in the form of lime - or vinegar from the jalepenos.
You're correct about the hazards of capsaicin. When I grew up we understood the problem and didn't do stupid things like touch our eyes before washing our hands. Besides, restaurant employees are required to use gloves in the US when touching food. I've never seen one spit, but I guess anything is possible.

For me, all I taste when eating the pickled ones is the pickle part. Absolutely no Jalapeno flavor to them. The smell of the vinegar puts me off as well.