New Hua Hin pocket guide - piers on front cover.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
caller
Hero
Hero

New Hua Hin pocket guide - piers on front cover.

Post by caller »

I don't think this is out yet, but I mention it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, why would the authorities here use the soon to be demolished piers on the front cover? I was told this work was starting soon, by a Thai claiming to be in the know? We'll see.

Secondly, I own the painting this cover is taken from! Where's my bloody commission! :D

Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: New Hua Hin pocket guide - piers on front cover.

Post by handdrummer »

The commission should go to the artist. Maybe he gave or sold them permission to use it, or maybe it's a copyright infringement, or?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Or maybe I was joking! :D

He told me about it and it's his photo of the pocket guide.

He too is nonplussed about it. Obviously he's pleased they used his artwork, but why use it if they are soon to be no more? Strange logic there.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

its not strange logic its Thai non-thinking
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....but why use it if they are soon to be no more? Strange logic there.
Actually, it's a painting of virtually the whole city, which seems to be a reasonably logical thing to put on a guide to Hua Hin.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am
Actually, it's a painting of virtually the whole city, which seems to be a reasonably logical thing to put on a guide to Hua Hin.
I guess it depends on how long the guide is meant to be out for? If it outlives the piers, then that's a lack of thinking as stated above.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Those piers have been going ever since I've lived here - do you really think they'll go?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

"Section 36.

The public performance, as appropriate, of a dramatic work or a musical work which is not organized or conducted for seeking profit from such activity and without direct or indirect charge and the performers not receiving remuneration for such performance is not deemed an infringement of copyright; provided that it is conducted by an association, foundation or another organization having objectives for public charity, education, religion or social welfare and that Section 32 paragraph one is complied with."

..........though extremely rude not to credit source. :roll:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

laphanphon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:28 pm "Section 36.

The public performance, as appropriate, of a dramatic work or a musical work which is not organized or conducted for seeking profit from such activity and without direct or indirect charge and the performers not receiving remuneration for such performance is not deemed an infringement of copyright; provided that it is conducted by an association, foundation or another organization having objectives for public charity, education, religion or social welfare and that Section 32 paragraph one is complied with."

Is the guide not produced also as a source of income then? I think we should be told. :P
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am
I agree it would have been a bit Orwellian to airbrush out the piers. :D
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:12 pm
laphanphon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:28 pm "Section 36.

Is the guide not produced also as a source of income then? I think we should be told. :P
Is a TAT guide, or is there direct profit for advertising profit to be made ? Or simply for the 'public charity' or 'educating' tourist, for the 'social welfare' of those catering to earn income.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

laphanphon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:03 pmIs a TAT guide, or is there direct profit for advertising profit to be made ? Or simply for the 'public charity' or 'educating' tourist, for the 'social welfare' of those catering to earn income.
Gawd knows. But I believe I'm getting one tomorrow, so I will let you know who issues it and ask if the artist got paid. It was him after all, that told me about this and that is his photo at the start of this thread.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Government entities in the UK can be allowed to make a profit, which they reinvest in the organisation (in fatter salaries for higher ups, of course....). Might be the same here, in which case the artist might be able to claim his rights infringement. I don't suppose it's going to be a million seller though.:)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's a freebie produced by a company of the same name clearly paid by advertising. The artist and art work are credited inside. I forgot to ask him if he got paid but he knew and gave permission for it to be used. It has some interesting stuff inside. Maps and suggested drive's and cycle routes and the like, otherwise it's just adverts. Bluport features heavily at the start, so Mr vana nava might be involved somewhere.
Talk is cheap