The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
johnjar
Professional
Professional

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by johnjar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:27 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 pm
Are you talking about Guinness stout or Guinness draft or draft Guinness stout?
I think its Canned Draft Guinness Stout with a Widget :)

handdrummer
Guru
Guru

Post by handdrummer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:50 am

johnjar wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:27 pm
handdrummer wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 pm
Are you talking about Guinness stout or Guinness draft or draft Guinness stout?
I think its Canned Draft Guinness Stout with a Widget :)
Thank you.

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 am

Guinness original (in a bottle) is my preferred Arthur's ale. not so smooth and creamy as the draught or widget can. I don't know if it's available in Thailand? I would have thought it would travel OK.

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm

The following is unlikely to happen here:
...................................................................................

Malaysian beer festival faced 'threat from militants'

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/1 ... recent_box

KUALA LUMPUR: Unidentified militants planned to sabotage an annual beer festival cancelled this week by authorities in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur who cited "political sensitivities" for the move, police said on Thursday.

On Monday, the authorities scrapped the two-day event, now in its sixth year, after an Islamist party objected on the grounds that it could lead to criminal acts, rape and free sex.

Around 6,000 people had been expected to attend the "Better Beer Festival", showcasing craft beers from at least 11 countries, according to posts on social media site Facebook by the organisers and domestic news reports.

Protests against events considered "Western" and un-Islamic are common in Muslim-majority Malaysia, and are usually led by the opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) and conservative Islamist NGOs.

"There was information that exposed plans by militants who would carry out sabotage on the festival, because it is deemed as something that goes against their struggles," said Inspector-General of Police Mohamad Fuzi Harun.

"To avoid any incident beyond our control, the police had to be proactive, by objecting to the organising of the festival," he added in a brief statement, without naming any suspected groups.

Since 2013, Malaysia has detained more than 300 people with suspected links to Islamic State in its crackdown on militancy.
The police have arrested seven Philippine men on suspicion of involvement in the activities of the Abu Sayyaf militant group, which has pledged loyalty to Islamic State.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

johnjar
Professional
Professional

Post by johnjar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 am
Guinness original (in a bottle) is my preferred Arthur's ale. not so smooth and creamy as the draught or widget can. I don't know if it's available in Thailand? I would have thought it would travel OK.
Bottled beer doesn't last long and has a very short expiration date as the caps seals corrode over time I think not like a sealed can which is completely air tight and has a far longer shelf life ,if you see the cases bottled beers in places like Macro they put all the older cases at front , also doubt it would travel very well ...I sure wish that they had canned draft Guinness here in Hua Hin :cry:

handdrummer
Guru
Guru

Post by handdrummer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:12 am

404cameljockey wrote:
That's the one I like. The one they call draft, in a can, is poor quality stuff and just another beer.

oakdale160
Legend
Legend

Post by oakdale160 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 am

To return to the Malaysian beer situation. Having a pint in a pub in KL is really very expensive, about the equiv of 300b / pint. Much cheaper elsewhere in M, about 220. Although in what is an Islamic country, widely available.

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am

johnjar wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
Bottled beer doesn't last long and has a very short expiration date as the caps seals corrode over time I think not like a sealed can which is completely air tight and has a far longer shelf life ,if you see the cases bottled beers in places like Macro they put all the older cases at front , also doubt it would travel very well ...I sure wish that they had canned draft Guinness here in Hua Hin :cry:
You see plenty of imported beers here with metal caps in supermarkets. I don't think shelf life is a problem given good demand. Travelling should be OK too, as Guinness is no longer bottle conditioned (more's the pity).

Pleng
Legend
Legend

"Thai" craft beer

Post by Pleng » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am

I don't know if this has been discussed before in this thread but a friend of mine made an interesting discovery while drinking in Hobs at Seen Space recently.

I had always understood that you needed to produce significant volumes of alcohol in order to obtain a brewing license. I was also confused as to why Thai craft beer appeared as expensive as most import beers. I don't drink craft beer, but my friend ordered a bottle from the "Thai craft beer" section of the menu and upon reading the label it stated that it was brewed in Australia under license of whatever the Thai "brewery"'s name is. So... Thai craft beer, imported from Australia! I don't know if they all work in this way or not; he only had the one.

johnjar
Professional
Professional

Post by johnjar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:12 am
404cameljockey wrote:
That's the one I like. The one they call draft, in a can, is poor quality stuff and just another beer.
I, me not a connoisseur of Guinness but if you were to blind fold one , put two glasses in front of him one poured from the pump and the other poured properly out of a can with a widget he would't know the difference :cheers:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:46 pm

I'm definitely not a connoisseur of Guinness, in fact I rarely touched the stuff in the UK. Just before leaving the UK I had a stomach operation, and Guinness is the only thing I can drink here without feeling stomach pain after a few sips. So I can't even compare the quality of the stuff I do drink, but it's nice :twisted:
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....0 Oxford....4 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Points 14; Position 23

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:49 pm

^ I thought you were doing ok with the Asahi and that German stuff? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

That stuff is nice, but I struggle before a bottle is finished - it still hurts. Maybe not as much as Thai beers, but still enough for me not to drink too much.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....0 Oxford....4 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Points 14; Position 23

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm

johnjar wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm
handdrummer wrote:
404cameljockey wrote:
I, me not a connoisseur of Guinness but if you were to blind fold one , put two glasses in front of him one poured from the pump and the other poured properly out of a can with a widget he would't know the difference :cheers:
Yes that's the point that handdrummer and I were making. the bottled stout is superior to both widget-can and draft Guinness, both of which have nitrogen infusion. to make them heavier and smoother. I'll take draft Guinness as still a good drink, we're all used to it like that, but most nitrogen infused keg beers are unpleasant to my palate (bitter should taste SHARP :) ), being too smooth and lacking in bite and too creamy. Boddingtons' bitter and the like.

It's all personal opinion at the end of the day, isn't it? :)

johnjar
Professional
Professional

Post by johnjar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 pm
johnjar wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm
handdrummer wrote:

Yes that's the point that handdrummer and I were making. the bottled stout is superior to both widget-can and draft Guinness, both of which have nitrogen infusion. to make them heavier and smoother. I'll take draft Guinness as still a good drink, we're all used to it like that, but most nitrogen infused keg beers are unpleasant to my palate (bitter should taste SHARP :) ), being too smooth and lacking in bite and too creamy. Boddingtons' bitter and the like.

It's all personal opinion at the end of the day, isn't it? :)
"We are sorry that you were disappointed by your recent Guinness experience. While we have removed the widget from the Guinness Draught In A Bottle, the liquid has remained exactly the same and continues to come from St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin.

Guinness Draught In A Bottle has always been meant to be enjoyed directly from the bottle. We’ve adjusted the gas mixture so that the nitrogen gas is activated every time you tilt the bottle to drink, providing the signature creamy head each time you take a sip. Guinness Draught In A Bottle is still nitrogenated.
If you prefer to pour a Guinness into a glass, we recommend Guinness Draught in a Can, which still has a widget since Guinness Draught in a Can is meant to be poured from the can and enjoyed from a glass. It is our recommendation for consumers who enjoy drinking from the glass at home, as it delivers an outstanding “from the glass” experience.
If you prefer to continue to pour from the bottles, pouring faster and from a vertical angle will give you a much better head than pouring slowly.

We’re very passionate about our beer and do everything we can to deliver a Great Guinness Experience whether it’s straight from the bottle or poured into a glass. We hope this information answers your question and ensures your next experience with Guinness will meet your – and our – high standards.

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions. We would be happy to offer a refund for this purchase and look forward to speaking with you directly if you would provide us with your phone number. Thank you very much" From the internet

This was from a customer who was complaining to Guinness about draft Guinness in a bottle w/ a widget that,s a new one on me , Guinness even tells him how to drink it out of the bottle, and your correct 100% every one to there own taste , by the way Boddingtons bitter in can that's another one I wish they had here also :D