Internet Chaos

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Internet Chaos

Post by richard »

Picked this up from Thaivisa

My connection has been diabolical for 3 days now (or is it 3

Internet Chaos in Thailand/Asia Saturday Jan 13, 2007

The Asian internet is in chaos! Repair works at the Taiwan broken internet cables and insane internet re-routing makes life hard for internet users in Asia today.

Many users are experiencing connection problems to the outside world. Thaivisa is hosted in Singapore and is also affected by this chaos. We can do nothing for the moment but wait!

If you cant connect to the Forum and are suffering from Thaivisa withdrawals, you can post comments here on this Thaivisa Emergency blog!

Cheers
George & The Admins, Mods Team

RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, spoke to a couple of managers for local ISP's who confirmed that the whole country is still up shitstreet as far as international connections are concerned.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

I think 'they' ( the relevet authorities/providers) did comment (shortly after the Taiwan Earthquake) that it would take approx 3 weeks to repair

Generally, I've had no major problems with my connection, yes it as slow on Sat/Sun, but then its slow every Sat/Sun and every evening!
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Mine has generally been OK since the earthquake, although yesterday was atrocious. Wasn't around much on Saturday.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bangkok Post, Data Base Section today stated that the ships are over top of the cable break but.....the cable is 4,000 meters down and neither robot nor man can get to them. Nothing has been fixed or is likely to be fixed. They are now looking for alternatives, perhaps simply laying new cable at least to bypass the area of the break and splice elsewhere?

The article goes on to say to expect irregular internet service for the foreseeable future. Pete :(
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

maybe a dumb question but what about satelites????
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Seems like they dropped the ball, its been terrible again today. CAT has obviously been screwing with their SMTP servers again too as I cant send email anymore.

:cuss:

Satellites would be a good alternative but then again you're screwed in the rainy season.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote:Satellites would be a good alternative but then again you're screwed in the rainy season.
Below letter published in the Bangkok Post Data Base section last Wednesday. Pete

Satellite warning

I'm writing to warn your users against any temptation to sign up for CS Loxinfo's iPSTAR satellite "broadband" service in the hope of faster browsing out in the boondocks beyond the reach of ADSL. I used iPSTAR for 11 months on Ko Sichang in Chonburi province, and never had a single month of satisfactory performance.

Even when the whole system is working at its best, the delay in getting a page download going (apparently caused by some problem with the Pathumthani gateway) is so long that a good dial-up connection is just as fast. Once the handshaking is over, transfers of big files do go pretty much at the speed you're paying for, but that's the only time the connection's not infuriatingly slow.

Almost every week, rain or clouds or dew or something else interferes with the ground station in Pathumthani, or stops your dish getting a signal to the satellite, leaving you with no connection or one so slow most pages time out.

What took the cake for me, though, was the non-service when their equipment failed. The first time my "box" burned out, I had to wait two days and travel an hour and a half to get a replacement. When that replacement failed a few months later, it took three weeks of waiting and four or five phone calls to get a serviceman to our place.

CS Loxinfo acknowledged that I'd been without service for 21 days, then offered me credit for a week's service - B625 off the B2,500 monthly bill. Their staff couldn't explain why the refund wasn't pro-rated to the loss of service. They did eventually email to say they would look into it, but cut off my connection while I was waiting for their answer: they wanted me to pay out my year's contract first, and argue about the refund later. Good try!

If you have absolutely no other way to connect to the Net, iPSTAR may be the way to go. But if you can get even a bad land line from the phone company, don't think about it. Not for a second.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just received an SMS news alert on my cell phone saying the Hong Kong Telecomunications Authority has announced that all undersea cables broken by the earthquake have now been repaired, and that internet service throughout Asia is now back to normal. Pete :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Rock on, it'll now only take 4 minutes to open an international website and 12 minutes to download my email .... I'll put the kettle on!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Buksi

Hell of a big Kettle. Eh? :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY