Are there any sleepy fishing villages left?

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
PeteC

Are there any sleepy fishing villages left?

Post by PeteC »

I reference a statement from another thread:

Re: Prachuap: ....."Gets quite busy south of Hadthong Hotel at night. Far from the quiet sleepy fishing village of days past.".....

Are there any small seaside villages left south of Hua Hin which offer decent accommodation, seaside atmosphere, and peace & quiet?

For me to find that in the East here I need to go very close to Cambodia these days. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Re: Are there any sleepy fishing villages left?

Post by T.O.M. »

Khao Tao..Only 10 km's south of town
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There are plenty if you just take a short drive south of HH.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Actually quite a few. Just on the other side of the headlands of PKK municipality. North side, have Ao Noi, south side, past Ao Manao, you have Khlong Wan.

Even PKK still plenty of actual fishing going on, with boats anchored all over. Well not this week, as all hiding in the estuaries or behind something. Very rough seas.

Same further north up to SRY, or further south. Thap Sakae, even Bang Saphans are shy of tourist.

Just the shy of 2 km stretch at PKK surf side, gets busy, and quite a difference from say 5 yrs ago. But overall, the area hasn't changed much over the 15 or so years that I've been coming, and why decided to live here, instead of just a pit stop to points further south. I'd go further south to live, better beaches for swimming, but I like the proximity to Krung Thep. Plus the bays are lovely, don't really swim much.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

As Laphanphon says Bang Saphan is very quiet. In the high season it can get fairly busy, but still not crowded
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

It's all relative of course. Anywhere between HH and Chumphon, is going to be a quiet, sleepy fishing village, in comparison.

Anyone not been to PKK in over 5 years, will notice a difference, and basically, that's just the one stretch, south of Hadthong hotel. The rest of the town hasn't changed much.

For many, used to HH, PKK would be quite sleepy and boring, and 2 nights would be more than enough every 5 yrs or so.

You do have to be able to entertain yourself. I like it that way. Obviously, most others do not.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Prachuap has suffered the same fate as Hua Hin - it is inundated with SUV driving Bangkok weekend warriors every week and at long weekends - the shiny resorts and coffee shops have sprung up everywhere.

For true 'sleepy fishing village' atmosphere you'll need to go further south; Thap Sakae, Bangsaphan Noi, Bang Burd, Pak Klong, Patiew, before Chumphon and there are plenty after it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson