Best way to do a data backup

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Best way to do a data backup

Post by Nereus »

May have been addressed before, but what is the latest? (assuming PC running Windows)

The last edition of Windows Secrets makes a big case for Using Microsoft Cloud. The argument being that once set up it is automatic and seamless. Completely alien to me! :shock:

I have a stand alone USB disc drive, but as I cannot see the point of running it continuously, and therefore having it wear out and crash, I tend not to use it. Windows keep nagging about running it, and that means there are going to be gaps before I remember to plug it in. I think it is better to have a completely separate device, but it only works when I remember to plug it in.

So what is considered the best for non-geeks?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Re: Data Backup

Post by buksida »

Portable USB hard drive is the way to go. Maybe a second if the data is very important.

You're not dependent on third party companies and cloud services that way.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Best way to do a data backup

Post by Khundon1975 »

I tend to backup my laptop to a separate 2TB “My Passport” separate hard drive every month.
Also all pictures off my phone go onto it as well. They are cheap enough now and it’s quick and easy to do.
I backup my iPhone and iPad to iTunes as well.
As a backup, backup, I copy all documents and pictures to a thumb drive, anything else I won’t miss if it’s lost.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.