Getting a credit card from a Thai bank

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
CBinmore
Amateur
Amateur

Getting a credit card from a Thai bank

Post by CBinmore »

Hi People.

We are planning to move to South of Hua Hin next May 2019.

Once we set up a Thai bank account how easy is it to get a credit card? Are there any Thai banks that are easier to get a credit card than others?

Thanks,

Colin..
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Getting a credit card from a Thai bank

Post by caller »

CBinmore wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:41 pm Once we set up a Thai bank account how easy is it to get a credit card? Are there any Thai banks that are easier to get a credit card than others?
I believe a few banks will offer a cc based on buying insurance via the card, or some other such deal, that was certainly the case when Kasikorn offered me one, but once the details were read, it wasn't really such a good deal.

I now have a cc with citibank, but my other half acts as guarantor, which is great for me, but not so good for her! :twisted:
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thai banks will want the amount you want on credit deposited in the bank so it is not actually a credit card you are getting as you are guaranteeing your own credit.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes. Don't cut your banking ties in home country, as will probably come in handy.

Personally, I've yet to use a CC here, with exception of online purchases / online reservations, and ATM / withdrawal w/debit card, and USA institute issued.

Most vendors charge 3 % for the privilege, along the Thai's rep for CC fraud.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

buksida wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:54 pm Thai banks will want the amount you want on credit deposited in the bank so it is not actually a credit card you are getting as you are guaranteeing your own credit.
That's not a problem, you will get interests for your fix deposit.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This is covered in detail on another thread. Some say they have credit cards but they are really debit cards, you can nominate your value then you must deposit that sum into the so called credit card account. You can then use up to that value to purchase, this is a not a real credit card in the western sense.

Go into any bank and ask or look up on their web site. I am with Bangkok Bank and went through this in detail and there is no way to get one.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Fandango
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fandango »

Amex is available from Bangkok. No deposit but approval and monthly fee
CBinmore
Amateur
Amateur

Post by CBinmore »

Thank you all for your response. Your information was very handy.
Colin.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I would say your best bet is with the yellow bank, which is Krungshri/Ayudhya and they call it 'First Choice' and they are more foreigner friendly than most of the others. I have one from this place but have a work permit etc. but have heard of them giving out CC to others too.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Fandango wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 am Amex is available from Bangkok. No deposit but approval and monthly fee
Thats interesting as I am with BKK bank and Kasikorn, in the previous thread I put all the details which in regard to them issuing a CC, it would be interesting to know how to get one without a work visa or deposit.

The following is Bangkok Bank terms for CC's
Qualifications of holders
You must be at least 20 years of age and have an average monthly income of at least 15,000 baht. You can combine your salary with other regular earnings such as bonus, commission and overtime pay. You may qualify for a Bangkok Bank Platinum Leader Card or Bangkok Bank Platinum Bumrungrad Hospital Credit Card if you have an average monthly income of 100,000 baht. We also evaluate criteria such as your credit history when considering credit card applications.

Required Documents
You can apply for a credit card immediately at any Bangkok Bank branch by bringing the following documents:

A Citizen ID card, or passport and work permit for a foreigner
A copy of house registration (not required for a foreigner)
Proof of your income such as payroll slips, a letter certifying your income, a tax withholding slip, or the latest receipt for your annual personal income tax
A copy of your savings or fixed account statements for the past six months from a bank or financial institution
Monthly statements from your current credit cards, if any, for the past three months
If you have your own business, also provide a copy of the registration of your company

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal ... edit-Cards

Kasikorn is similar.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

With a work permit it was always possible to get a credit card. Nothing new.
I have a credit card since 20 yrs. without work permit, just with a fix deposit account and I am very satisfied.
I don't consider Ayudhaya bank as a farang friendly bank. They made me a proposal which was ridiculous.
A fix deposit for the amount I needed, but could use the card for a lower amount. Really fckg. stupid.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Only credit card I carry is US based and it's been used once in the past 3 years.

I have a debit card from Bangkok Bank. It's useless online or outside Thailand. But works at most businesses now, except Makro.
buksida

Post by buksida »

RCer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm I have a debit card from Bangkok Bank. It's useless online or outside Thailand. But works at most businesses now, except Makro.
Likewise with Visa debit from Kasikorn - works in most ATMs globally but useless online as it is 'Not verified by Visa'.

A Thai credit card is not a credit card as you must provide your own credit by filling the account up first. :banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

buksida wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 am
RCer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm I have a debit card from Bangkok Bank. It's useless online or outside Thailand. But works at most businesses now, except Makro.
Likewise with Visa debit from Kasikorn - works in most ATMs globally but useless online as it is 'Not verified by Visa'.

A Thai credit card is not a credit card as you must provide your own credit by filling the account up first. :banghead:
I have Visa from Bangkok Bank and can use worldwide.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good for you.