GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by StevePIraq »

I follow various rates and there have been some major changes over the last 10 years, overall very negative unless you use US$.

Anyone planning to come here is going to have seriously review their financial plan.

US$ to Baht down 7.17%
Sterling to Baht down 39.15%
Euro to Baht down 27.36%
Aus$ to Baht down 2.9% however it was much stronger in periods between
Sterling to US$ down 25.85%
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Fecking Sterling - Bring back page 1 of this thread. In my dreams!!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If you go back to page 1 of this thread-- June 2008 Baht at 66 to the pound and posters regretting that it is no longer at 74-76
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Yes, exactly the point JG was making... (Welcome back, Jimmy!! :cheers: )

Hilarious to see people talk then about tightening their belts as the baht 'plummeted' below 70. On a more serious note, if they had known then that there would be a steady decline to 40 THB to the £ over the next 10 years, I wonder how that would have changed their plans, if at all? At the age of 51, working as a teacher, it might well have changed mine.
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Thereis a theory that currencies always anticipate future events and that the drop in the pound after the vote discounted the pound because of Brexit and that it has already been taken care of and that the drop after the Brexit will be minimal.
curlybaggie

Post by curlybaggie »

There is also a theory that it could drop a fair bit more if we end up with a "no deal" Brexit.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes, I guess the earlier drop was expecting an orderly exit-- but as that is not happening there could be a second drop, probably before B day.
buksida

Post by buksida »

To keep this from turning into another Brexit war mods will move all Brexit news and topics to the Brexit thread.

Lets keep this purely on currency exchanges.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am If you go back to page 1 of this thread-- June 2008 Baht at 66 to the pound and posters regretting that it is no longer at 74-76
The grass is usually browner on the other side of the world.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lets keep this purely on currency exchanges.
The reason this thread is 'alive' is down to Brexit!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But currency rate changes don't happen in a vacuum, they are related to political and fiscal events and discussing how those events have an effect on the rates is the meat of the matter.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:28 pm The reason this thread is 'alive' is down to Brexit!
This thread was 'alive' well before Brexit was even conceived and will be well after. There is a dedicated thread for Brexit so please keep all discussion on it there as requested to prevent this thread turning into another massive shitfight.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Sterling to make solid gains this year if Brexit path smooth - Reuters poll

LONDON (Reuters) - Sterling is likely to gain more than 8 percent this year -- assuming Britain and the European Union part ways amicably, according to a Reuters poll of foreign exchange strategists.

Note, this is against the US$ not the Thai Baht, we can only hope for something good

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/st ... spartanntp
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm Sterling to make solid gains this year if Brexit path smooth - Reuters poll

LONDON (Reuters) - Sterling is likely to gain more than 8 percent this year -- assuming Britain and the European Union part ways amicably, according to a Reuters poll of foreign exchange strategists.

Note, this is against the US$ not the Thai Baht, we can only hope for something good

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/st ... spartanntp
Careful, Steve. Sounds like you're talking Brexit and this thread is about currency rates!!!!!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I transferred my monthly money requirements over from my UK bank this morning.
Nowadays, Barclays at least, give a guaranteed exchange rate that I can decide to accept or not. Normally, the rate is close to the market one.
At about 7.45am this morning, I was guaranteed below 40 for the first time ever. I think it was about 39.80 something.
That's another benchmark crossed that I'd hoped never would happen. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the reports of future GBP gains actually occur.