Free to air television

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Governor
Professional
Professional

Free to air television

Post by Governor »

Having just moved here from the smog, I mean Bangkok, we're looking for free to air tv boxes for Thai channels, I suppose that also means buying a small dish, any ideas where I should start looking.

Thanks in advance
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Free to air television

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

It depends - as an alternative, if you have broadband internet and either a casting device (e.g. Chromecast) or a smart TV you can get all the free to air Thai TV channels using either the AIS Play or TrueID TV apps and watch them on your TV. You would have to run the app on an Android device (smartphone or tablet).

If you have a laptop and not an Android device, you can watch channels using the True website but AIS does not have that option, as far as I know.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Try Big Kiang for a dish and box. They will also come and fit it if you need or arrange for somebody to do this. Prices there are usually good.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

Thanks for the replies.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Just to relate my experience with dishes and boxes - we've had a couple and they've stopped working after a while when the frequency bands changed. Also each dish/box only works with one TV which has to be hard-wired in.

Having tried both alternatives, speaking for myself I find there's more flexibility using the apps I mentioned, either with a casting device or a smart TV (YMMV). No installation of dishes or wiring needed. The apps also offer you a variety of other options - including for instance, 7-day catch-up on certain channels on the TrueID TV app.

P.S. You could also install the apps on an Android box if you have one.