A fair visa for all.....possible?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

A fair visa for all.....possible?

Post by T.O.M. »

The recent changes for both people using the income method, and people using savings to meet the requirements, made me think, is a fair visa for everyone possible....?

As for the people using savings to meet the requirements, and now not are allowed to let their savings account drop below 400k at any time. Makes sense if the 400k "bond" is a replacement for the mulled compulsory health insurance, which would be very expensive or not achievable for many older expats....The 400k equals the maximum coverage in the suggested health insurance,....a coincidence...? Or did immigration do some thinking...? If the latter is the case, credit to them.
For people going the income route.....when they have solved the problems with documenting their income actually arriving in Thailand.....they are in theory living 'hand to mouth'...since no savings are required. So IMO they should either have a health insurance OR the 400k "bond" sitting in their bank account permanently.
Extensions based on marriage....same as the income route.

The 400k 'bond' makes sense, if you have an accident and up in hospital uninsured....And it happens...I have translated in a few cases at local hospitals, where the expat patient was not able to pay the (not very expensive) bill....And since it a civil matter, the hospital have no choice but let them walk out the door.

So if the choice comes down to compulsory health insurance or the 400k "bond", I think most people would be better of with the latter.
All IMO of course.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: A fair visa for all.....possible?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Let's make a complex situation even more complex by speculating about... hmmm, I know! :idea: ... health insurance!
Makes sense if the 400k "bond" is a replacement for the mulled compulsory health insurance
No it doesn't! :banghead: Not unless you've got an unlimited sum to replace the 400k whenever you get ill. Otherwise it becomes a case of "get ill => spend the 400k on health costs => go home because you no longer have the funds to qualify for residence". That's assuming you are well enough to travel, have somewhere to go to and can afford the ticket! :roll: :cuss:
This is the way