The Thai People - What Qualities do you Admire?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Thai People - What Qualities do you Admire?

Post by Lost »

They can be frustrating at times but they have many attributes that, for me, are more appealing than the British traits.

1: The 'Mai Pen Rai'. A marmite one this and dependant on the situation but, for the most part, their ability to say 'never mind' to things (sometimes forgiving a serious mistake of others that caused them problems) is commendable. Little things can cause real grief in the uk (like smiling at the wrong person) but here generally people just go with the flow. Sure you get the odd Somchai who slices someone up with a machete for disagreeing with the taxi fare but - few and far between.

2: "Have you eaten, yet?". Before the (now nationwide) greeting of 'Sawasdee khrap/kaa' was popular, it was "Kin khoaw ruu yang?" - Have you eaten, yet? They will now usually ask you this after the sawasdee.

That's the main thing Thai people worry about. Have I, me, we, you, he, she, they... had something to eat yet? Many a time, you will be invited to a table by strangers in Thailand to eat some food. Maybe enjoy a 'yaa dhong' or some hong thong too.

A very nice side of the people.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: The Thai People - What Qualities do you Admire?

Post by dundrillin »

Point number 2 made me chuckle with remembering Edinburgh people were noted as saying to visitors “ you’ll have had your tea”
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A couple of years ago I broke my ankle and had a cast on. I had to travel on the BTS with a suitcase and managing the stairs was a problem. But, no problem, every single time a Thai person offered to help me. The remarkable thing is that in EVERY case it was a Thai woman who helped me, never a man.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dundrillin wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 am Point number 2 made me chuckle with remembering Edinburgh people were noted as saying to visitors “ you’ll have had your tea”
:D

I have not heard that before. Scotland is a country I'd love to visit but don't the English (maybe very unfairly) call them tight arses. I never really understood it, and understand it even less so now given what you've just said, Doc. There is no nicer gift than inviting someone to a table for some food.
oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 pm The remarkable thing is that in EVERY case it was a Thai woman who helped me, never a man.
That doesn't surprise me at all Oakdale. Some of the males here (and all over Asia) are extremely 'entitled brats'. Remember SE Asia is still a place where many new dads are incredibly disappointed with the news, 'It's a Girl!'

Glad the Thai ladies stepped up to help you. :cheers:

Number 3 on my list is the Thai people's upmost respect for their elders. It's the complete opposite in UK. Old people are simply a burden - stick them in a 'home'. Out of sight out of mind.

Not Thailand. They treat all elders with a degree of respect long lost in the uk. Even the simple lowering of the head when passing in front of an older person (whom they have never met before) is both charming and an incredible ingrained trait.

Actually, I think that is what I like about Thai culture the most.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 am
dundrillin wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 am Point number 2 made me chuckle with remembering Edinburgh people were noted as saying to visitors “ you’ll have had your tea”
I have not heard that before. Scotland is a country I'd love to visit but don't the English (maybe very unfairly) call them tight arses. I never really understood it, and understand it even less so now given what you've just said, Doc. There is no nicer gift than inviting someone to a table for some food.
Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll find that "you’ll have had your tea" is an assumption implying that you therefore won't need to be fed...

Have you never listened to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue"? You poor deprived child; your father (whoever he may be) has neglected your education. Google 'Hamish and Dougal'.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 am
Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll find that "you’ll have had your tea" is an assumption implying that you therefore won't need to be fed...

Have you never listened to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue"? You poor deprived child; your father (whoever he may be) has neglected your education. Google 'Hamish and Dougal'.
Ah, I get it I think. I thought 'You'll have had your tea' was a way of saying, 'you will be fed, regardless'.

So the complete opposite, then. Hence the 'tight arse' opinions :D

Off to Google now. :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 am

Well, BOY do I feel a little silly now regarding my reply to Dr. Dun. I understood it entirely wrong. :oops:

Even found this little 90's video of a Scottish student trying to change the views people have of the Scottish, telling us that they actually aspire to get jobs and be upstanding members of the human race. Titled, 'You'll have had your tea'.

:lach: :lach:

I am enlightened. Thanks, DM.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lived in Scotland for many years.

"Ye'll have had your tea" is more of a question than a statement, requiring a response. "Aye, I have" or not.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, this thread is about 'The Thai People - What Qualities do you Admire?' In just 7 posts we've moved on to talk about somebody's tea in Scotland?

:offtopic: please
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I have to agree about Mai Pen Rai.

But it has it's down falls. Nobody cares if they do their job right, like builders for instance. I've seen many balconies have fallen on new construction simply because there was no supporting/reinforcing steel used. Or is the mechanic gets the repair on your vehicle correct.

Edit: It also leads to people never aspiring to be better and therefore they do not learn from their mistakes.
bigboots
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bigboots »

No.3 Respect for Elders is my fav as well.

I was blown away by how much parents and esp grandparents were respected and in some case revered in Thai families I've visited.

What a contrast with the UK where we live in an increasingly ageist society, and that age where you're deemed too old is getting lower while at the same time the pension age is getting higher. Is it any wonder so may people want to retire in Thailand.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I had Thai people under my authority--I treated them with kindness and respect, never with high-handedness or arrogance--- my good attitudes were returned 100 times over. Their loyalty was outstanding