Whisky drinking police with guns

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Whisky drinking police with guns

Post by Jockey »

Living in the Los you become used to its eccentricities and odd ways. I was sitting in the Baan Issan restaurant tonight close to a table of 8 policemen, 6 were in full uniform and 2 looked like their boss. All were drinking 100 pipers with coke and the uniformed cops all had their guns. It occurred to me there arn't too many other countries in the world that would tolerate armed uniformed policemen drinking large amounts of whisky in public places. I said to my girlfriend "what if a policeman got drunk and decided to shoot someone he did not like" to which she casually replied "it happens all the time"
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

A friend of mine used to own a bar in HH that was popular with many policemen & they told me of a time that a drunk policeman pulled a gun in the bar. I'm sure your girlfriend is absolutely right :shock: :(
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If you read the local newspapers, you will regularly see stories about Thai policeman shooting each other, or somebody else, during drinking parties.
Norwegian
Novice
Novice

Post by Norwegian »

In Phuket I saw a police officer sleeping beside the toilets in the bar with a gun under his head.

I wanted to take a picture, but I figured that it probably wouldn't be a good idea. :guns:
vincent chang
Banned
Banned

thai police officers.

Post by vincent chang »

I am from america and even cops here sometimes go bad and shoot each other or shoot themselves. cops are just like ordinary people. there are some good ones and some bad ones. I have made friends with some of the local cops here in hua hin. they said they will look after my property while I am gone, and only want me to bring them back some levis when I come back from america. Also if I have any problems or receive any threats, they watch my back. I try to stay on the good side of the law. and am respectful of anyone in uniform who puts his life on the line everyday. no matter which country or what color their uniform may be.
vincent chang
Banned
Banned

Thai police.

Post by vincent chang »

I have been amazed at the restraint the thai police have for drunken farangs and other thais. In the usa. the cops will just blow you away if you so much as attack them with a stick, a knife, or even just an un armed person in a car. over here, they usually try to restrain the guy, even if it takes 4 of them to do it. In pattaya, a tourist overdrinks or goes nuts everyday, and everyday you see the cops arresting them without over use of force. In mexico, they would just bop them on the head with a night stick. that would be bad for business . I think it is far better to have uniformed cops as opposed to armed gangs enforcing their own laws and codes of behavior like they do in the philippines. I think we in Hua hin should count our lucky stars and have some faith in the police system to solve crimes.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A policeman in Saraburi was temporarily discharged from service on Thursday pending an investigation after a woman accused him of chopping her right arm.

Pol Lance Corporal Nirut Thammasap has been charged with attempted murder and causing serious injuries for his alleged attack on Suphansa Wichananant on February 25, a karaoke singer.

Suphansa alleged that Nirut chopped her arm after she refused to share a table with him and two of his male friends at a karaoke bar she was working.

She said the three followed her on motorcycles and one of them used big knife to cut off her arm.

Two other friends, Nirat Kongtham and Prasarn Bundok who allegedly assisted in the crime have not been charged with any offence.

It is not yet clear on Thursday who chopped her arm.

The Nation 22-mar-07
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

He was just disarming her. :roll:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

She’s certainly ‘armless now!