TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by Dannie Boy »

Killing Eve is available on BBC and the second series begins this Saturday - I really enjoyed series one, so hoping the second series is just as good. Apparently a third series is also confirmed!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Killing Eve Season 2 has already aired in some areas and I downloaded all of it from the usual sources.

Just started watching Das Boot( a reboot, if you pardon the pun) of the original, in German, French and English with full English subs(pun intended).

Chernobyl (HBO) is brilliant.

Tin Star (Tim Roth). Great story and stunning Canadian scenery.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

sateeb wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 am In the same vein y'all should take a look at Don,t Forget The Driver starring the superb Toby Jones and Fleabag starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Enjoy :cheers: :cheers:
Fleabag: After the opening scene of the first episode you're hooked or you're done.

I was hooked :o then :shock: then :D
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Agreed, yet Season 2 is fantastic and ends there..no need to drag it out like some series do.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Happy, season two, has started on Netflix
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Black Mirror is also showing new episodes on Netflix.

Their tech/social media pollution/smartphone addiction/generation zombie ones are scary and only a couple of years away from reality.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"Great Canal Journeys" - This has moved on somewhat!

Have just been watching "Asian Odyssey" with Tim and Pru travelling Vietnam from Ha Long Bay to Hanoi. SUPERB!!

:cheers: :cheers: :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

Get a july list of shows/movies from screenbinge or any other source and PUT THEM ALL ON DOWNLOAD!

Dark 2 and Stranger things from netflix.. worth watching. They won't take that much time though. Binge-watch material. I am almost done with ST.. 3 episodes down.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:32 pm The Boys - Anti-superhero

In 2006 a couple of comic book creators decided the time was right for an anti-superhero comic. It's transition to TV was slow because it was - wait for it - anti-superhero. Apparently the powers that be feared it might wound the goose that was laying golden eggs. In production now, debuts on Amazon next year.

The Boys takes place in "a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame" and "revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty."

Trailer shows all you need to know about the tone of the series: {deleted}
Amazon released the series late last month.

No that trailer didn't tell you all you need to know about the tone. It did for the corporate side of superheros. As for the activities of 'the boys' it was as understated as comparing a BB gun to a .357 Magnum. Fasten you seat belts and watch the accurate trailer:

I rarely binge-watch TV series. I'm binging this one.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 pm
Homer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:32 pm The Boys - Anti-superhero

In 2006 a couple of comic book creators decided the time was right for an anti-superhero comic. It's transition to TV was slow because it was - wait for it - anti-superhero. Apparently the powers that be feared it might wound the goose that was laying golden eggs. In production now, debuts on Amazon next year.

The Boys takes place in "a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame" and "revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty."

Trailer shows all you need to know about the tone of the series: {deleted}
Amazon released the series late last month.

No that trailer didn't tell you all you need to know about the tone. It did for the corporate side of superheros. As for the activities of 'the boys' it was as understated as comparing a BB gun to a .357 Magnum. Fasten you seat belts and watch the accurate trailer:

I rarely binge-watch TV series. I'm binging this one.
Thanks for the recommendation Homer. The trailer, which got me 'hook, line and sinker', has been popping up in every ad after I make a move in 'Words With Friends' for the past few days (so 30-40 times a day :banghead: ) and I was interested to know if the series could 'walk the talk' or was it just another one that they've thrown everything into advertising it but, ultimately, holds no substance and was just another meh one season flunk.

I'm looking forward to it now.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I hate with a vengeance all these crappy superhero movies and series BUT The Boys is absolutely brilliant. Another two worth a watch are-

The Umbrella Acadamy ( dark comedy)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1312171/?r ... f_=nv_sr_1

Deadly Class

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5924572/?r ... f_=nv_sr_1

Only seen 1 episode of these two but show lots of promise.

― George Carlin
buksida

Post by buksida »

Someone recommended Yellowstone to me and I was drawn in from the pilot - it is rather good.

'A ranching family in Montana faces off against others encroaching on their land.'
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/

For some light humour and stunning scenery with a little fishing thrown in take a look at Mortimer and Whitehouse 'gone fishing' on BBC 2:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7r2kb

And of course the gritty but epic Peaky Blinders has kicked off its fourth season ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

The OA

Sci-Fi & enigma & unconventional story telling = rapt attention from me. Apparently too unconventional for most, Netflix canceled it after 2 seasons. These 2 review bits from Metacritic convinced me to give it a try. Knew by the end of the second episode I must download the remaining 14:

“The OA” is one of the most significant shows of the year simply because Marling and Batmanglij [creators of the show] barrel through so many boundaries, stretch their combined imaginations so far and challenge the shopworn precepts of what is supposed to make an acceptable television series.

and

Whether her story is real or the byproduct of extreme trauma is one of many questions at the heart of this haunting, graceful and often frustratingly cryptic series.

I think some of the bad reviews were from critics who thought the show was a mystery to be solved by dedicated and intelligent viewers. They couldn't solve the mystery because it was written to leave big questions about the nature of life unsolved. You know, just like they are in reality.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Right, I've put it off long enough, it's time to take a deep breath and dive in. I'm reliably assured this will change my life. But do I want my life to change...?

No, it's now or never. What harm can it do? Don't be a wimp, just do it.

Breaking Bad, series 1 episode 1, here we go. See you in a week or two...
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20