Thai marriage woes - do I need to inform the HO (UK)

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
blahblah
Amateur
Amateur

Thai marriage woes - do I need to inform the HO (UK)

Post by blahblah »

Some years of an absolute nightmare - seriously losing any normality it may have had. It came to a head last night - she struck on the head with a 3 kilo hard back book (was aiming for my face)
I had already had the presence of mind to start a recording before it happened.

So, she got herself arrested, spent the rest of the night in police cells and I am waiting to hear whether she will plead guilty/non guilty, etc - Not even sure what the charge was. Breach of the peace and assaut of some kind I think.

We live in the UK, got married in Thailand (she has lived here of and on for over 24 years) but she has so royaly screwed it up on various occasions that we had to start from scratch, and she is now on her FIRST 2.5 years spouse visa again, due for renewal in some few months.

Question: I am obliged to inform the HO about this?
Question: Will the police inform the HO about this?

sincere thanks in advance, and no hatred please, I have had enough of that.

BB

(Mod edit: title expanded as most will have no idea what it is about)
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Do I need to inform the HO

Post by caller »

Only if the marriage has ended, I would have thought, and that she has moved out, if she has? If not and she will carry on living with you, then no. Was she actually charged with anything, other than just being arrested on suspicion of whatever?
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, I'm with caller. She doesn't have ILR so the question really is do you want the spouse/residency process to continue?
Best of luck.
This is the way
blahblah
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blahblah »

caller wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 pm Only if the marriage has ended, I would have thought, and that she has moved out, if she has? If not and she will carry on living with you, then no. Was she actually charged with anything, other than just being arrested on suspicion of whatever?
She has been charged with assault (not sure what type) and breach of the peace, and appeared in court today.
Because she has pleaded Not Guilty (disregarding the cctv evidence) they have placed bail conditions on her - not to contact me and not to approach the property.
She has one chance to change her plea before it becomes set.

I'm pretty heartbroken now - not because of any feelings towards her - but due to the state of her spirit.
PJG
Professional
Professional

Re: Thai marriage woes - do I need to inform the HO (UK)

Post by PJG »

At a guess but was there alcohol involved. That quite often is the cause of Thai lady tantrums.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Like you say a nightmare for you. I am sure we all feel great compassion for you. Surely, this latest episode does have one positive aspect,that a separation order or divorce becomes easier.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I don't think anything has changed. It's too soon to notify whoever you need to these days, until you are certain the marriage is over. If you have been together for 24 years plus, despite the assault, that's a long time. Once you are certain it is over, then that's the time to notify whoever you must. Or just don't move to the next stage of the spouse visa - it all seems very alien since my time.

There is provision for the visa rules to be 'overruled' (layman's terms) in cases where domestic violence against the female on the spouse visa has been alleged, or sometimes actually proved, enabling the visa applicant to stay in the UK. So don't be too surprised if counter allegations are made.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Firstly, I feel for you in a big way BB (not the large version :wink: ). The LHG (Chinese) and I are still going through the process (final stage now), but as you have had to start the 2.5 year? (We have/had 3 year stages), there is zero need to report to the HO - without your support, she simply cannot go to "stage 2". Should divorce proceedings go ahead, she will be deported, unless showing "Mitigating Circumstances", i.e issues from your side. As I'm sure she will now have a criminal record, I don't believe there's any (legal) doubt she must return to Thailand.

Best of luck to you anyway.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
blahblah
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blahblah »

PJG wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:51 pm At a guess but was there alcohol involved.
No alcohol involved, but she has a problem with sleeping tablets
blahblah
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blahblah »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 pm Firstly, I feel for you in a big way BB (not the large version :wink: ).
Thanks for your kind words.
pharvey wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 pm As I'm sure she will now have a criminal record, I don't believe there's any (legal) doubt she must return to Thailand.
She pled not guilty, so there will be trial.

Do they ask on the visa application about the criminal record?