Driving licence renewal?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
DaRon
Novice
Novice

Driving licence renewal?

Post by DaRon »

Can anyone tell us ref renewal of the 5 year licence, we are outside the country at present and wife’s expired in April mine expires in September is an issue to renew both @ October?
Any help appreciated.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Driving licence renewal?

Post by Spitfire »

I don't know the current specifics as last time I renewed my license was 4 years ago and don't have to do it again for another year and they could have dreamed up all sorts that you need to do since then. Also, I didn't renew in HH so different offices might well need different things. If you have let them expire then you may well find you have to start again from a temp 1 year license, so bring your valid foreign licenses with you so you can at least avoid the silly theory test and it's crazy questions. You may also need a Certificate of Residence too and be on a non-immigrant visa.

Other than that, then if you are outside the country then come with an international driver license as that will at least buy you some time because Thailand is a signature to it and it will suffice for a year till you square-it-away.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Good advice from Spitfire, once you find the answers to your questions, please post what you learned so we can benefit from your experience.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You have a year after expiry to renew, so you don't have a problem.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

HHTel wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 pm You have a year after expiry to renew, so you don't have a problem.
Maybe true, but I wouldn't rely on the faceless official at the desk of the local license place to know that or accept your greater knowledge of the rules. Having lived here a long time, I would prepare for all eventualities and then take the path of least resistance once there on the day. Just need to have everything with you so can meet what they want on that day at that time.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'll put money on it. The rule is the same for the Thais. Myself and many more have already reported the one year's grace. After one year, you need to do all the aptitude tests again.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd also point out that your licence expires on your birthday. If you renew a day or so after your birthday, then you'll get 5 years from your next birthday giving you almost 6 years.