New experiences in old Bangkok

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

New experiences in old Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

"The area you'll be reading about in this article is only around 1.2km². Yet, it's packed full of fascinating things to see and do, from Wang Burapha, Saphan Han and Sampheng, to Phahurat, Saphan Phut, Pak Klong Talat and Ban Mo."........

Long article with many photos......

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social ... ld-bangkok
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: New experiences in old Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

The Changing Face Of Bangkok

Following on to the opening post/article, here is a new article and photo presentation about a side of Bangkok that is being lost to time.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social ... two-cities
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yeah, I did look through the original article and if I'm back in BKK I'll make a real effort to see that area. It looks fascinating.

I was surprised how close it was to the "main areas". Then again, I haven't got a clue about BKK. I'm in and out asap.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

With some of those old buildings the kindest thing to do is demolish them. But places, particular along the river, should be retained, such as the old Customs House.

Singapore went through a phase 20 or so years ago saving and renovating old shophouses, which have been properly restored and mostly all in the one area. They are a great tourist attraction, as well as providing business for locals.

The problem here is probably more to do with vested interests making huge windfalls, rather than an attitude of preservation.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Here is another article. With opening of the new MRT station it becomes a more feasible place to visit.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Out of comfort zone
published : 9 Aug 2019 at 04:00

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/1727251#cxrecs_s

Explore Bangkok along MRT's new stations

Every Bangkokian knows that the MRT has launched a trial run for its five new stations. This is perhaps, one of the most gleeful news we have received this year (we haven't had much of that lately) as it allows you and me an easier way to explore beyond the three S's of Bangkok: Siam, Silom and Sukhumvit. Not that these three areas are guilty of anything but there's so much more to Bangkok that awaits your discovery.

Equipped with Google Maps and comfy shoes, I did the legwork (and clocked my pedometer) to check out these new stations and give you a preliminary research on points of interest each station has to offer.

Things to Know Before Boarding

The free five stations, in order of appearance, from MRT Hua Lamphong, are Wat Mangkon, Sam Yot, Sanam Chai, Itsaraphap and Tha Phra.

The trial service runs from 10am-4pm daily. The first train leaves Hua Lamphong for Tha Phra at 10am and the first train leaves Tha Phra for Hua Lamphong at 10am, too. The last train leaves Hua Lamphong for Tha Phra at 4.10pm and the last train leaves Tha Phra for Hua Lamphong at 4.10pm. Of course, these are approximate times and passengers are advised to arrive early.

If you board the train at Hua Lamphong, you need to pay B16. Travelling between the five new stations is free. Get your ticket token at the tables that the MRT has specially set up at each new station.

The trial service runs until Sep 28. Bring your most professional cameras if you want, but a tripod isn't allowed within the stations.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!