Road trip to Phetchabun and Loei

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Road trip to Phetchabun and Loei

Post by buksida »

Half term is approaching again so its time to hit the road. We usually go south but this time are considering north to two provinces I've never been to.

Has anyone been to Phetchabun or Loei? Top things to see and do, places to stay and traps to avoid??
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Road trip to Phetchabun and Loei

Post by Ginjaninja »

I've been to Petchabun several times and really like the place. Can't recommend a great deal to do but the scenery is amazing (was on the bike most trips).

The Kosit Hill hotel in Petchabun town itself is one of my favourite hotels. Not amazing rooms but the hotel has an abundance of character. If you make the trip you will see what I mean.

Take a drive up Phu Tubberk mountain for some spectacular views assuming you can keep your lunch down after a nauseating drive to the summit.... Don't forget your D.S.L.R.

GN.

Edit: Phu Tubberk
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I was in Loei quite a few years ago. We were in the city for one night and found it very friendly - drinking with students and so on. It was only for one night.

Then went around to Chiang Khan for a couple of days. Found some bungalows just outside of the town right on the Mekhong. It was a must to get up early and have some breakfast watching the mist clear off the river and looking over to Laos.

Didn't really see much else as I got stuck into the beers but I do remember that it was relaxed up there.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Ditto.....been to both, and nothing stands out as 'to do', except the lovely countryside and quaint, nice, friendly small towns.

Chiang Khan, mentioned, worth popping up to, on the Mekong, and has developed a nice walking street (non alcohol type theme), weekend market. Quite enjoyable town, and been there many times when lived in Udon Thani.

Phu Rua, Loei area is nice also, and the one smaller (2 of same name), basic resort there, 'Phu Rua resort', smaller one, has nice sitting area / view of stream running behind the resort. Decent munchies & beer, though quite some time ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ToPiuxzXDsZhWZRY7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8wCLsBTAD7YYnwgw5

Sunset on the river, Loei album, is at Chiang Khan
https://goo.gl/photos/GYeKgazjhh8UaLgN7
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cheers guys, just hope it stops raining by the time we head off.

(None of the google links worked btw).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The links are working for me, but I have a Google account including a photo file so perhaps that is the key.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

You can use Loei as a base for visiting Chiang Khan and Phu Ruea... both about 50kms away.
Loei Palace hotel, near the centre, is half decent and has a swimming pool.
Some of the little restaurants near the river sell cheap beer... large Chang 70 baht last year, from memory.

Phetchabun...yes, stayed at the Kosit Hill hotel which was OK and central.
About 20km away is a small National Park called Tat Mok which is worth a visit... very quiet.
A must see in that area though is Khao Kho, about 50kms away... very scenic drive and area... a bit of a cross between North Wales and the Yorkshire Dales.
I can take or leave temples but there is a fabulous one near Khao Kho, just off route 12.
It's main feature is a 5 headed buddah in a fabulous setting. It's a relatively new temple and there would be some great photo opportunities .for you.
It's called something like Pa song gaew... certainly a hotel in the area or maybe your missus will have heard of it.
If you go to Loei drive via Dansai and Phu Ruea for nice scenery.
No rain in the Udon/Nong Khai area for 10 days now... clear blue skies, 30c in the day 21c at night.
It will be even cooler Khao Kho and Phu Ruea.
Enjoy your trip.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.