Health insurance now mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Health insurance now mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Post by migrant »

I just had my O visa extended and no questions about insurance. I did use a service though. They had told me that insurance wasn't required and I don't have any. They said if I had a different visa then the insurance was required.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

migrant wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm I just had my O visa extended and no questions about insurance. I did use a service though. They had told me that insurance wasn't required and I don't have any. They said if I had a different visa then the insurance was required.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the reports are all for people getting extensions of stay based on an original O-A visa. People getting extensions based on an O visa don't seem to be affected (yet).
Edmin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Edmin »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:29 pm " Also that they're not accepting overseas insurance policies, only ones from the TGIA website.
That probably explains why all this happens. Hard to believe that people having at least 800,000 baht in bank, owning condos and vehicles were not able to pay their hospital bills.
Last edited by Edmin on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:26 pm
Gregjam wrote: I entered as visa exempt and obtained a non imm O at Hua Hin immigration based on income. Visa was stamped “retirement” and expires in February so one month before I will be extending it. As I don’t have time to run around getting insurance etc before I return to work I will visit Matt at AA and get some insurance that meets the requirements however when I extend will not produce the cert unless asked and will report how things went at the time. I do find the “retirement” category interesting particularly as I am not yet 60 and obviously still working.
I thought that everybody has been saying that you don’t need the insurance if you’re on an “O” visa?
When I return in January I will be looking to extend for one year with multiple entries. Will I be getting an O or an O-A as my understanding correct or not is that an O requires a border crossing every 90 days and an O-A only needs a report to local immigration or even online. I was assuming the latter which would need the insurance.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Once you have your 12-month extension no border crossings are needed, regardless of the visa.

EDIT: After re-reading your post and previous post, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Either way, the insurance requirement and 90-day reports are two separate issues.
This is the way
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

I will arrive in 1 week with an OA Visa - exhibited in June 2019.

I have a private health insurance since 35 years in Germany. Unlimited in ammounts and time. I have a confirmation paper in english from my insurance.

What will happen at immigration ?

Thank you for informations.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Gregjam wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:30 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:26 pm
Gregjam wrote: I entered as visa exempt and obtained a non imm O at Hua Hin immigration based on income. Visa was stamped “retirement” and expires in February so one month before I will be extending it. As I don’t have time to run around getting insurance etc before I return to work I will visit Matt at AA and get some insurance that meets the requirements however when I extend will not produce the cert unless asked and will report how things went at the time. I do find the “retirement” category interesting particularly as I am not yet 60 and obviously still working.
I thought that everybody has been saying that you don’t need the insurance if you’re on an “O” visa?
When I return in January I will be looking to extend for one year with multiple entries. Will I be getting an O or an O-A as my understanding correct or not is that an O requires a border crossing every 90 days and an O-A only needs a report to local immigration or even online. I was assuming the latter which would need the insurance.
You will get a non-immigrant "0" visa. 0-A visas can only be issued in your country of residence. NOTE-your country of "residence"; not necessarily your birth country.

Neither visa requires a border crossing. 90 days only requires reporting if you are in the country for 90 continuous days.

"Retirement" is NOT a visa--it is stamped as a REASON for extending permission to stay off either visa.

As posted several times: a non-immigrant "0" visa does NOT require insurance.(not yet anyway!)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm But lots of long-term retirees are living here on an extended O-A visa, so it will affect lots of expats
Do you happen to know the ratio of O-A visas to retirement visas?
Last edited by wenshidi on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm But lots of long-term retirees are living here on an extended O-A visa, so it will affect lots of expats
Do you happen to know the ration of O-A visa to retirement visas?
Not a clue, sorry.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm
Do you happen to know the ratio of O-A visas to retirement visas?
O-A visa is a long stay visa based on retirement (by any other name).

From the Thai Embassy London:

For applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.
Talk is cheap
magsandbilly

Post by magsandbilly »

I’m caught up here. I am due to do my extension of visa on an original O-A visa.

I have inpatient cover through BUPA. Just renewed earlier this year. I have no outpatient cover as advised not needed as costs were cheap.

Just spoke with BUPA - I cannot cancel my BUPA cover until it’s renewal date,!! I cannot add on outpatient to my BUPA plan,!!!

Now where can I get only outpatient cover to allow me to comply for my 1 year renewal?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would suggest you discuss with Matt at AA Insurance.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Edmin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Edmin »

magsandbilly wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:23 am I’m caught up here. I am due to do my extension of visa on an original O-A visa.

I have inpatient cover through BUPA. Just renewed earlier this year. I have no outpatient cover as advised not needed as costs were cheap.

Just spoke with BUPA - I cannot cancel my BUPA cover until it’s renewal date,!! I cannot add on outpatient to my BUPA plan,!!!

Now where can I get only outpatient cover to allow me to comply for my 1 year renewal?
Make sure that BUPA is on the TGIA list. https://www.tgia.org/member-EN
magsandbilly

Post by magsandbilly »

It’s BUPA worldwide would this not be accepted?
Edmin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Edmin »

magsandbilly wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:20 am It’s BUPA worldwide would this not be accepted?
well...I'm in the same situation. I read in internet that Allianz (not Allianz Ayudhya) policy was rejected by Immigration. I am with Regency International and have 400,000/40,000 certificate but, Regency is not on the TGIA list. Can't cancel, can't get refund. Do not know what to expect.