The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:06 pm ... As for OUTIH I really hope that Quentin comes up with the goods in his 10th and final feature.
Didn't realise he was only making one more. On the basis of his last movie, maybe he shouldn't (but due to his excellent movies b4 that - he definitely should!).

OUTIH is a stain on his reputation. I just really don't know what he was trying to achieve! :?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I watched OUTIH and, like you guys, was underwhelmed. The redeeming value to me was I was in Los Angeles during those years so it was fun to see some of the scenes which showed pretty authentic. But as for plot, I must have missed it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Although not directed by QT(he sold the rights to finance Res Dogs) True Romance is my favourite and the scene with Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken(The Sicilians) ranks as one of the best ever.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

migrant wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:25 pm I watched OUTIH and, like you guys, was underwhelmed. The redeeming value to me was I was in Los Angeles during those years so it was fun to see some of the scenes which showed pretty authentic. But as for plot, I must have missed it.
Problem with Quentin is he set the bar so high with his earlier movies. Kill Bill was his last truly exceptional venture. Gone downhill since, and the last...?

...Bob from drama school could've produced a better movie!
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I thinks the comments are a bit harsh on QT. Django Unchained was good and the recent one similar. Good acting, quirky story lines....exactly the things he is famous for.

I enjoyed Once upon a time, not my most favorite film of all time but still a recommended watch without a doubt.

Di Caprio good again, I like most of his movies post Titanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Henry 14th wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:11 pm I thinks the comments are a bit harsh on QT. Django Unchained was good and the recent one similar. Good acting, quirky story lines....exactly the things he is famous for.

I enjoyed Once upon a time, not my most favorite film of all time but still a recommended watch without a doubt.

Di Caprio good again, I like most of his movies post Titanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After your post I realised I couldn't really remember Django (maybe kinda half watched it at the time) so whacked it on my list of 'to watch'.

You're right. It is good!

So it's just 'Hateful Eight' and that last one which I really didn't enjoy.

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

'Zombieland Double Tap' has been out 'n about for a week or so. Worth watching - good fun! Nothing could quite match the finale of the original Zombieland, though!

Best zombie movie ending ever!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well, going back to the 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' discussion, it picked up a handful of awards at the Golden Globes so I must have missed something!

If you haven't watched Ricky Gervais best bits hosting the awards yet, I recommend you do. He was brilliant! One of my favourite parts of the night...

"If you do win an award tonight, don't use it to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. Most of you have spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So accept your little award. Thank your agent and your god... and fck off. This is already 3 hours long! Now onto the first award..."

:laugh:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Also from Ricky Gervais at the movie awards...

"If ISIS started a streaming service you lot would be on the phone to your agents."

He doesn't give a shit!

(Sorry know this is not about movies on dvd. Not worth its own thread)
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:38 pm "If you do win an award tonight, don't use it to make a political speech. You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. Most of you have spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So accept your little award. Thank your agent and your god... and fck off. This is already 3 hours long! Now onto the first award..."

Mixed feelings with Gervais, but that was class - pictures on the faces of the actors said it all - Tom Hanks all over the news this morning.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:38 pm Well, going back to the 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' discussion, it picked up a handful of awards at the Golden Globes so I must have missed something!
It's not that you missed something. People expect or want different film experiences. People appreciate or understand a film at different levels. At one end of the continuum are those who love so-called 'popcorn films'. At the other end are those who understand, and appreciate the layers of a film. At the Cannes film festival, Once Upon etc. received a standing ovation that lasted (sources differ) from 5m 40s to 7m.

Me? I like both kinds, and those in between.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:19 am
Lost wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:38 pm Well, going back to the 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' discussion, it picked up a handful of awards at the Golden Globes so I must have missed something!
It's not that you missed something. People expect or want different film experiences. People appreciate or understand a film at different levels. At one end of the continuum are those who love so-called 'popcorn films'. At the other end are those who understand, and appreciate the layers of a film. At the Cannes film festival, Once Upon etc. received a standing ovation that lasted (sources differ) from 5m 40s to 7m.

I get what your saying but, I too, enjoy all kinds of movies from slow-burner suspense to bang, bang, pow, pows to romcoms ( :oops: ) and I just couldn't get into this one. I'm gonna give it another go as, due to my boredom turning it off, I missed the last 30%. I guess with some movies, the ending is quite important. :laugh: :duck:

I didnt see the end.

Will try it again.

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:49 am

I get what your saying but, I too, enjoy all kinds of movies from slow-burner suspense to bang, bang, pow, pows to romcoms ( :oops: ) and I just couldn't get into this one. ...
I think what I wrote wasn't clear. By 'both kinds' I meant films at the ends of the continuum, i.e., popcorn films and layered films. OUTIH is layered. I understood your use of 'all kinds' to mean different genres.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:18 am
Lost wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:49 am

I get what your saying but, I too, enjoy all kinds of movies from slow-burner suspense to bang, bang, pow, pows to romcoms ( :oops: ) and I just couldn't get into this one. ...
I think what I wrote wasn't clear. By 'both kinds' I meant films at the ends of the continuum, i.e., popcorn films and layered films. OUTIH is layered. I understood your use of 'all kinds' to mean different genres.
Yeah, I did refer to genres in reply which didn't really match your post. Regarding layered films and, as you say, 'popcorn' films like yourself, I enjoy both kinds. Out of curiosity, I googled what are considered to be the best multi-layered films out there. Some of my favourite movies are frequently listed in websites 'top ten's'.

Definitely gonna give OUTIH another whirl. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that type of movie that day. Could have been 'halfwatching'. Happens.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Just watched 1917( available on piratebay). For me a dead cert for Best Film at the Oscars.

Best Actor..Joaquin Phoenix...Joker

Best Actress...Renee Zellweger...Judy

Yours?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.