Local Land Clearance

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Big Boy

Local Land Clearance

Post by Big Boy »

A couple of times a week I have to drive to the end of Soi 94 and on to the West end of Soi 88. Huge areas of shrubland are being decimated. I notice this trend all the way to Ratchaburi when I used to be able to travel to watch football. I understand people are clearing the land to avoid paying extra taxes, but what is the effect on Thailand's wildlife? Actual trees are being left standing.

There must be acres of land already cleared alongside Soi 88. How many snakes, rats, birds etc have lost their homes so far? This can not be good for Thailand's wildlife. OK, Soi 88 alone isn't huge, but I'm seeing it all the way to Ratchaburi and it probably encompasses the entire country.

So apart from foiling the government's revenue collection plans, what is this mass land clearance actually achieving?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Local Land Clearance

Post by Ginjaninja »

We have an empty plot of land next to our condo in Takiab. It wasn't until recently that the owner has been clearing the natural growth at regular intervals. They have now planted what I think is (but most likely completely wrong) a field of mango trees.
I asked Mrs. GN about this and she advised me that vacant land is now being taxed and by planting (produce!?) they avoid paying this tax.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've seen banana plants appearing on some smaller plots. There was a tractor ploughing the land near the Soi 88 traffic lights today. Now that is a massive plot - it will be interesting to see if anything is planted there.

:idea: Sugar Cane to contribute to the burning might be fun :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Yeah, lots of banana plants around and I've also seen some coconut.