Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by MrTea »

Now they are allowing extensions - to tourists ONLY - who arrived AFTER March 1. Announcement just made. Richard Barrow has the vid on Twitter. Not sure how long the extension is. I think there will be some follow up news.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

The plan seems to be to grant automatic extensions to those who arrived after 1 March, that makes sense, hopefully they'll manage to do so without the usual hurdles and wedge of paperwork
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MrTea »

It seems arbitrary to me. It still forces many people to crowd together for hours AND provide documents, some of which may be impossible to acquire, such as embassy letters, proof of flight cancellations, tickets for outward flights, etc - not to mention dragging the hotel owner along to verify your identity. I love Thailand, and have experienced honesty, courtesy and goodwill countless times from ordinary citizens and officials, but this development leaves me completely baffled and very sad.

I fear for the future of farangs here, to be honest.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Have been to the immigration office today (thanks for the directions Big Boy) to extend our tourist visas.
Went quite well as they seemed to be quite organised. Took about 2 hours but there were a lot of people. You get a number and are seen in order. You MUST have a facemask otherwise you will not be seen. They will do the copying and do a photo for you for a small fee. 252 for the two of us.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Bars, restaurants, beaches are closed. Why visa extension for those tourists ? What can they do ? Where enjoy ? Why did they come knowing the pandemic ? Send them back to their countries.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:banghead: :banghead: A drossworthy post if I ever saw one
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 pm Bars, restaurants, beaches are closed. Why visa extension for those tourists ? What can they do ? Where enjoy ? Why did they come knowing the pandemic ? Send them back to their countries.
The point is you pillock is that we are unable to get back. I would love to be back home now.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Not that many airlines have flights from Bangkok at the moment. It may take time to find alternative routes and flights.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I went to BuriRam immigration this morning to do my 90 day report and notify my change of address. I had my passport and blue book. In and out in 10 minutes. No T28 or T30 forms required. The sent me my user name and password by email afterwards but it's so easy to go in person I don't think I'd bother trying online.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

That's scant comfort to ex pats here, BKK and many other offices. Many thanks for sharing your pleasurable experience with us.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Kraka's Dad wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 pm
europtimiste wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 pm Bars, restaurants, beaches are closed. Why visa extension for those tourists ? What can they do ? Where enjoy ? Why did they come knowing the pandemic ? Send them back to their countries.
The point is you pillock is that we are unable to get back. I would love to be back home now.
EX: My embassy sent message for a flight back to my country.
All those people should ask embassy assistance instead of a visa extension. There must be alternative flights. That was my message.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:26 pm
Kraka's Dad wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 pm
EX: My embassy sent message for a flight back to my country.
All those people should ask embassy assistance instead of a visa extension. There must be alternative flights. That was my message.
Please, please take them up on their offer :naughty: :naughty:

― George Carlin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For those reading another thread on 'strange words', there's a perfect example of the use of the word 'pillock'.
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MrTea »

There is some debate over the term 'tourist visa' in the announcement today, and whether it refers to 'visa exempt' specifically.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

MrTea wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:28 pm There is some debate over the term 'tourist visa' in the announcement today, and whether it refers to 'visa exempt' specifically.
"Tourist Visa" is a generic term, there's the visa free, those who have applied for visas and those that qualified for a visa on arrival.