Look back in laughter...

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Look back in laughter...

Post by sateeb »

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Danneeeee
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Before the final “twist in the tale” I’ve managed to find a few press cuttings regarding the incident - it actually reminded me that it was late May rather than earlier in the month - theres a follow up to the final photo!!
2A5D3165-B9BF-43A7-B998-FB53E47049CA.jpeg
2A5D3165-B9BF-43A7-B998-FB53E47049CA.jpeg (111.15 KiB) Viewed 139 times
FFA70C8A-9A5D-47DA-BCB6-960161AFC598.jpeg
FFA70C8A-9A5D-47DA-BCB6-960161AFC598.jpeg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 139 times
379B8992-80A0-4D91-B08C-C9489444BFB6.jpeg
379B8992-80A0-4D91-B08C-C9489444BFB6.jpeg (119.03 KiB) Viewed 139 times
CF8E7147-03AB-44CE-B27A-417856AD12DF.jpeg
CF8E7147-03AB-44CE-B27A-417856AD12DF.jpeg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 139 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

A sort of inadvertent look back: I've just had the worst dream ever...

It was my birthday, we were in a pub and I was buying a round of drinks. As I went round the table I gradually realised that just about everyone I''d ever known was there - I've never felt such panic in my life! :shock: :laugh:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought I had posted this earlier but obviously not.

A colleague came up with an alternative caption to the various ones that the newspaper reporters had used, although from memory none of them were correct - I was in fact speaking to one of the reports on this call, however here’s the alternative option
1159C47C-BA3F-471B-B6D4-B341029EE9DE.jpeg
(382.12 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Look back in laughter...

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ok, the “twist in the tale” that I previously mentioned

Within our Company most overseas assignments were for an initial three year period and a few months before the end of the assignment was due, discussions would take place to determine whether there was a need to extend the assignment for a further year assuming the expat was willing etc. The previous year, I had indeed extended for another year and my new assignment was due to end in October 1998. At the appropriate time for my next discussion I had already decided that a return to the UK was what I wanted to do - I had been away from my family for over 4 years and whilst we had met up on numerous occasions, I was looking for a return to “normality”.

As part of our overseas package, we were provided with a generous R&R allowance that could be used for anything travel related, for both the employee and their immediate family. I decided to blow the balance to Fly my wife and youngest son out to Honk Kong and I would fly to meet them from Karachi. There were no direct flights, but I could fly to Bangkok and then on an onward flight to Hong Kong. The timing didn’t quite work out so I had a choice of reaching Hong Kong about 4 hours after my family or depart Karachi and have 2 nights in Bangkok before my connecting flight - no prizes for guessing the option I took.

Pakistan being a military dictatorship, they had what was called an “Exit Control List” which would have the names of anybody who needed clearance to leave. Although I was fairly certain my name wasn’t on it, I had obviously come to the notice of a number of Government officials through the earlier incident. Anyway on the day of my planned travel, I said my farewells and headed to the airport. At the airport and before checking in, there was a security check where you had to show your passport. I gave my passport and the guy looked at it and then checked it against a list he had on a clipboard. He looked at my passport a number of times and his list and then said for me wait. Off he went into a room and left me waiting - it probably was only 3-4 minutes but felt much longer. I was beginning to think my departure was about to be put on hold, but he eventually returned and handed me back my passport. Relived, I checked in and then went to the departure area - never had 2 hours taken so long - I was constantly looking at my watch and worried that someone would come up to me and ask me to accompany them!!

Eventually the flight was called, I boarded, but didn’t breath a sigh of relief until the plane was heading down the runway.

I’m sure I used the 2 days in Bangkok to relax before flying on to Hong Kong - this was now the end of this story!!
Last edited by Dannie Boy on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh no!!! A cliff hanger :banghead:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Oh no!!! A cliff hanger :banghead:
I’m having virus problems with my iPad so trying on my phone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Oh no!!! A cliff hanger :banghead:
I’m having virus problems with my iPad so trying on my phone!!

I’ve managed to edit my earlier post