Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by Big Boy »

[Edit] I posted before reading. Hua Hin is currently at 0. Nobody in quarantine, nobody in hospital. Just the 1 sad fatality. We've achieved what seemed impossible a couple of weeks ago.

Today's numbers (will replace with better version if/when it is published):
22.jpg
22.jpg (131.49 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Personally I think there are a lot of people here (and in other countries) who have it and are living with it, and the Gov doesn't know a thing about it or them.

There was a case today of a "party person" who returned up-country from BKK and was found dead in a field. Tested positive. How many dozens or hundreds was he in contact with given his lifestyle.

Keep an eye on the news for more people being found dead somewhere.

Breaking is that Spain is probably going to extend its lockdown. See BBC later tonight for the final decision as they are debating it now.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's the link concerning the above party guy story: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19 ... d-covid-19
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My gauge is still what I experience, and whilst numbers I know who are infected in Europe is rising rapidly, neither I nor extended friends and family can say they know one person who has been infected in Thailand. I don't know how, but I think Thailand must be very lucky.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:50 pm We're probably going to see a spike in the numbers in a week or so.

Immigration officers at Sadao infected with Covid-19

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... h-covid-19

SONGKHLA: Two immigration officers at the border checkpoint in Sadao district were reported to have been infected with Covid-19, putting about 70 others at risk, the provincial communicable disease committee said on Wednesday.

The two new cases, after two weeks with no new infections, brought the provincial tally to 39.

The first of the new infections was detected on April 20 - an immigration officer returning from visiting relatives in Pattani. He was sent to Songkhlanagarind Hospital for treatment.

The second had tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday morning and was admitted to the same hospital.

The first officer had been in close contact with 10 provincial police officers - a lieutenant colonel, three with the rank of captain and six with the rank of senior sergeant major. All 10 had been placed in home isolation for 14 days.

About 60 others at the Sadao immigration checkpoint had also been classified as being at risk. Samples had been taken from them for testing at the same hospital, the committee reported.

Checkpoint now closed: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-19-cases
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:[Edit] I posted before reading. Hua Hin is currently at 0. Nobody in quarantine, nobody in hospital. Just the 1 sad fatality. We've achieved what seemed impossible a couple of weeks ago.

Today's numbers (will replace with better version if/when it is published):
So the only fatality was the 81 year old Swiss man. His 80 year old wife was also hospitalized and it seems she must have survived, unless she was sent to a hospital in Bangkok, in which case we don't know. Well done the hospital (whichever it was) if she was treated in Hua Hin.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

PeteC wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 pm Here's the link concerning the above party guy story: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19 ... d-covid-19
The officers are interrogating his family and friends. They have also urged his family to burn his body today (April 21) as they are afraid the virus will spread.
There's something not quite right about this story. 'urging the family to burn the body today'. If he'd been tested positive by a medic, the body would have been quarantined. The family wouldn't be in possession of the body to do as they wish.
The news is only reported in The Nation and it's associated papers The Thaiger being one of them. I can't find it in any other news source. I would have expected it to be reported in The Bangkok Post.

The Nation is probably one of the worst newspapers for facts.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:My gauge is still what I experience, and whilst numbers I know who are infected in Europe is rising rapidly, neither I nor extended friends and family can say they know one person who has been infected in Thailand. I don't know how, but I think Thailand must be very lucky.
I agree that there must be some strange reason why Thailand has such a low level of infection and deaths. Even allowing for under-reporting, if it was 10 times the total number of deaths, it would still be a very good days total in the UK - and it can’t be anything to do with social distancing because that rarely applies here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Nereus wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 pm
I don't look at the beeb and Sky News are letting themselves down badly.
I watch the BBC on cable TV in Bangkok. Why do they only give numbers for England and Wales?
I know the Picts have probably waved their kilts at the virus, or had that loud mouthed woman threaten it.
Maybe the Irish in Northern Ireland have done the same? :?
At noon (gmt) each day the First Minister in Scotland gives an hours daily report and takes questions - this is always covered by the BBC + others
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I am posting this separately because I want to say that I will not post further updates unless the current status of Covid Free in Hua Hin changes.
22Full.jpg
22Full.jpg (132.38 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Points 48; Position 20
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

I don't really trust any Thai government statistics but they are probably not too far from reality. South Korea, population of 51.6 million = 238 deaths (I do trust this is correct). Japan, population of 126.5 million = 281 deaths. Neither of these country's have had a strict lockdown. My opinion is that the virus peaked in Thailand before the lockdown and before everyone was forced to wear face masks. The government will spin it on how they have done a great job when they ease the restrictions at the end of the month. And the economic damage is solely down to the virus, not the government ineptitude over the last several years.
For anyone interested in an alternate view to the mainstream hysteria this is the best website I've found with researched updates: https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Big Boy wrote:My gauge is still what I experience, and whilst numbers I know who are infected in Europe is rising rapidly, neither I nor extended friends and family can say they know one person who has been infected in Thailand. I don't know how, but I think Thailand must be very lucky.
I agree that there must be some strange reason why Thailand has such a low level of infection and deaths. Even allowing for under-reporting, if it was 10 times the total number of deaths, it would still be a very good days total in the UK - and it can’t be anything to do with social distancing because that rarely applies here
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm still convinced that as it's an "Asian Virus" - it did originate in China, Asians are far more resilient to the virus than Westerners/Europeans. The latter not having the same antibodies - I believe a virus originating in Europe would have the same effect on Asian countries.

That said, I also think that figures reported in Asia are dubious at best - UK figures are wholly inaccurate and certainly doubts over other nations, what do we believe?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

nil wrote:I don't really trust any Thai government statistics but they are probably not too far from reality. South Korea, population of 51.6 million = 238 deaths (I do trust this is correct). Japan, population of 126.5 million = 281 deaths. Neither of these country's have had a strict lockdown. My opinion is that the virus peaked in Thailand before the lockdown and before everyone was forced to wear face masks. The government will spin it on how they have done a great job when they ease the restrictions at the end of the month. And the economic damage is solely down to the virus, not the government ineptitude over the last several years.
For anyone interested in an alternate view to the mainstream hysteria this is the best website I've found with researched updates: https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Spot on Nil.

This has been a political propaganda exercise since 23 March. Yes it's still a very serious situation but they're milking it for everything they can, and they will air on the side of caution so they can appear prudent. When in fact they were asleep at the wheel letting the Chinese(and other international travellers) in for close to a month too long

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I see many people criticise the figures in Thailand believing them to be grossly under-reported. But it's not just Thailand is it. Of our neighbours, Mynamar, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam all have figures much lower than ours. Hong Kong is lower than Thailand. New Zealand is lower. In fact there are more than a hundred countries with numbers lower than ours.

As far as Thailand and her neighbours go, only Malaysia have higher numbers than ours. All the rest are well below. Thailand under-reporting? Maybe, but there's no evidence to back that up.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

A good read for those interested in what this virus can do to those less fortunate:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/0 ... rain-toes#
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde