New Passport-Transfer of retirement visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

New Passport-Transfer of retirement visa

Post by Hahuahin »

I read on another forum that the Immigration in some provinces demand a letter from our embassies confirming the New passport is genuine. Is there someone with resent experience in transferring their retirement visa to new passport who can confirm or disaffirm this?

Thank you :)
hahuahin
Big Boy

Re: New Passport-Transfer of retirement visa

Post by Big Boy »

It is certainly a requirement for UK passports. However, I have some Russian friends who say it does not apply to them, so maybe not all nationalities.

The letter basically requests Immigration to transfer all visas into the new document.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is a requirement in Hua Hin:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23918&p=509095#p509095

by Meerkat » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Nereus wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:45 pm
I had decided to renew my (Australian) passport a few months before it expired, partly because it was nearly full and partly because I didn't want to be confined to the house, should restrictions get more severe, with my passport running out on me.
Did immigration require a letter from the Australian Embassy saying that the new passport is genuine?
A letter accompanied the passport from the embassy to Immigration explaining that the old passport had been cancelled yet contained an extant visa. I copied the letter and provided the original to immigration.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Ok , thank you for the info.

hahuahin
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

My passport expires this year and this was pointed out to me last year when I renewed my Retirement Visa that they would only renew my Retirement Visa until the last day my passport was valid this year. In other words you have to renew your Retirement visa immediately after you get your new passport.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

brianks wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:31 am My passport expires this year and this was pointed out to me last year when I renewed my Retirement Visa that they would only renew my Retirement Visa until the last day my passport was valid this year. In other words you have to renew your Retirement visa immediately after you get your new passport.
Yes correct, mine is the same. But first you have to take your new passport, along with the mentioned letter from your Embassy, and have Immigration transfer ALL the relevant info into the new passport.(and donate 500 Baht)

It will then depend on just when your current extension expires that will determine when you need to renew your extension. You will need to obtain a new passport well before the old one expires, so your original expiry date SHOULD also be transferred to your new passport.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Every Immigration officer has a different take on this. For me the first one just stapled the 2 pp together and said--no problem and there was no charge. Used it coming in and out no problem. Next 90 day time, guy ripped them apart and said that I should nor have done that.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

I got my retirement extension transferred to my new passport today. Had letter with from embassy confirming I had new passport. Friendly women took care of it and a pleasure to help with a donation to a good cause ...not. :wink:
hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:16 pm I have some Russian friends who say it does not apply to them, so maybe not all nationalities.
For completeness, my Russian friends were wrong, and it did apply.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

I renewed my Australian passport then left the country from Bangkok airport. Presented both passports at immigration and was walked to a side desk where they transferred. Visa and re entry stamps to new passport. No letter no payment.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Went to Tha Yang today to t/f my Ret. Visa over to my new British passport.

After checking my paperwork I was asked for a B500 "service fee."

I declined to pay and said that if they could show me a form or the Immi website which confirmed the fee I would be happy to pay it.

Job done - no "fee" paid...

They just can't help themselves can they?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well done. You are absolutely correct, although immigration offices have been charging for this service for the last 20 years that I know of. It's pretty much the status quo. However, you've put your head above the parapet. Be very careful in the future.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

My thoughts exactly, come next renewal time they could make life difficult for you in order to regain "face".
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Meerkat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Meerkat »

HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 pm Well done. You are absolutely correct, although immigration offices have been charging for this service for the last 20 years that I know of. It's pretty much the status quo. However, you've put your head above the parapet. Be very careful in the future.
They 'charged' me THB 500 when I did this procedure last year. I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and paid. Perhaps I should have asked for a receipt . . .
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You wouldn't get a receipt. Did mine at the beginning of the year along with my annual extension. Receipt for 1900 baht but not for the 500 stamp transfer.
Come on guys. Rather than potentially upsetting an apple cart, just pay it. After all it's just ONCE in TEN years! (50 baht per year --- Wow!)