Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by HHTel »

5 new cases today, all in state quarantine. Day 29.
It's reported that the virus cannot survive for more than a month without producing symptoms!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Mixed feelings about this: - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53152416

"Pubs, restaurants, hotels and hairdressers can open from 4 July in England, when social distancing rules will be eased.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said people should remain 2m apart where possible but a "one metre plus" rule will be introduced.

Two households in England will also be able to meet indoors and stay overnight with social distancing.

The prime minister warned that all steps were "reversible"."

And a backwards step for Germany: - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53149762

"German authorities in North Rhine-Westphalia are bringing back local lockdown measures after a coronavirus outbreak linked to a meatpacking plant.

More than 1,500 employees of the Tönnies plant have tested positive.

State premier Armin Laschet said the "preventative measures" in Gütersloh district, home to about 360,000 people, would last until 30 June.

It is the first such move since Germany began lifting its lockdown restrictions nationwide in May.

The country has been praised for its response to the crisis, but there are fears infections are rising again."
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

The problem is that governments have is that they can either save their economies and accept the losses or they save their people and destroy their economies. Obviously, they are mostly trying to find the balancing act between the two. It is easy for authoritarian governments that aren't very concerned with the individual or their public at large as they just be their normal fascist selves, but the western democracies have an issue due to everyone having a right to whine and believe that the rules aren't for them because somehow they are special etc ... even football managers in the UK are informing the government what to do on the Covid lockdown and how it should be done. Haha.

Edit - Typos
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Interesting small study done that demonstrates immunity from T-Cells without the body producing antibodies.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20132449v1

Conclusion. Exposure to SARS-CoV-2 can induce virus-specific T cell responses without seroconversion. T cell responses may be more sensitive indicators of SARS-Co-V-2 exposure than antibodies. Our results indicate that epidemiological data relying only on the detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies may lead to a substantial underestimation of prior exposure to the virus
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

The reporting of surges in Covid-1984 cases is sorely lacking. Why is there no detailed reporting of these facts?

1. How many of these "new" cases are simply testing positive for antibodies (asymptomatic)?
2. How many of these "new" cases are people actually requiring treatment?
3. How many of these "new" cases consist of hospitalized patients?

Without knowing #2 and #3, the number of new cases is meaningless except as propaganda.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Yeah...meaningless propaganda to the 856 who have died ( 0545hrs) thus far today in the USA.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Spitfire wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 pm The problem is that governments have is that they can either save their economies and accept the losses or they save their people and destroy their economies. Obviously, they are mostly trying to find the balancing act between the two. It is easy for authoritarian governments that aren't very concerned with the individual or their public at large as they just be their normal fascist selves, but the western democracies have an issue due to everyone having a right to whine and believe that the rules aren't for them because somehow they are special etc ... even football managers in the UK are informing the government what to do on the Covid lockdown and how it should be done. Haha.

Edit - Typos
You’re correct, it’s a very thin tightrope that the Governments have to try and tread, lean one way and a second spike will occur, lean the other way and the economy will crash. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the only way out of this is a vaccine, so we’d better all hope that the various experiments going on now yield something fairly soon.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 am You’re correct, it’s a very thin tightrope that the Governments have to try and tread, lean one way and a second spike will occur, lean the other way and the economy will crash. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the only way out of this is a vaccine, so we’d better all hope that the various experiments going on now yield something fairly soon.
That’s what they want you to believe due to the mass hysteria.

How it compares to previous pandemics
A48AC69A-9316-414B-B3A8-E938ADEEA05E.png
A48AC69A-9316-414B-B3A8-E938ADEEA05E.png (238.3 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

With respect, is that not just another conspiracists view of the statistics? How big was the world population in 1347? How many would have died if they had taken similar precautions in 1347? Compare numbers. It's the same old story, you can make statistics read whatever you want them to read.

As for the conspiracists claiming to have predicted this current crisis, so everything else they say must be right............ just look at the above chart. How hard would it have been in 2000 to predict the world would be struck by a huge killer virus in 25 years? I can predict there will be another horrific virus by the year 2100, but I wouldn't put myself on a pedestal claiming because I got that right, everything else that comes out of my mouth is correct. If the conspiracists had got it wrong, they would simply be filed away as another nut job.

FFS, I'm sick of everything that is going on at the moment. People manipulating numbers, conspiracy theories around every corner, some governments controlling it better than others, etc., etc.

It's a problem that has raised its head many times in the past, and will happen in the future. We have to deal with it, not criticise every action that somebody makes. We'll probably hit 500,000 deaths within the next week. Try telling the families of those poor victims that everything is an over reaction.

Hasn't Brazil taken the attitude that they'll do nothing? Have you watched their recent statistics - probably the worst anywhere? I'm sure if the conspiracists did a proper comparison using just Brazil (probably the best comparison we have to 1347, although better medical knowledge), that chart would be turned on its head, big time. Just let the 'experts' continue to do their best. In many places, they seem to be getting the problem under control.

Yes, I'm a huge critic of Thai Chana (pot calling the kettle), but at least we all know that is unfit for purpose. It's so bad, I often feel I'm the only one left using it as swathes of people walk past whilst I'm checking in and out. That is one small part of what this country is doing - they are doing much that I approve of. You can't please all of the people all of the time, etc., etc. It just seems those who can't be pleased have very big mouths, and just cry foul if somebody proves them wrong.
:rant:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wait till China unveils the vaccine for a virus they've known about for two years, then tries to sell it to the rest of the world ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Nice rant.

With respect, is that not just another conspiracists view of the statistics? How big was the world population in 1347? How many would have died if they had taken similar precautions in 1347? Compare numbers. It's the same old story, you can make statistics read whatever you want them to read.

That chart is percentage of the population. They did take precautions in 1347. They turned ships away from ports (sound familiar?) and anyone who was infected they locked the whole household up for a month and painted a cross on the door. One uninfected person was allowed out to get food.

As for the conspiracists claiming to have predicted this current crisis, so everything else they say must be right............ just look at the above chart. How hard would it have been in 2000 to predict the world would be struck by a huge killer virus in 25 years? I can predict there will be another horrific virus by the year 2100, but I wouldn't put myself on a pedestal claiming because I got that right, everything else that comes out of my mouth is correct. If the conspiracists had got it wrong, they would simply filed away as another nut job.

I don't think any conspiracy theorist needs to predict a pandemic comes along every 20 years or so. Because history shows that it does.

It's a problem that has raised its head many times in the past, and will happen in the future. We have to deal with it, not criticise every action that somebody makes. We'll probably hit 500,000 deaths within the next week. Try telling the families of those poor victims that everything is an over reaction.

Recent figures estimate 1.5 million annual deaths from tuberculosis, 1.4 million from diarrhoeal diseases, 1 million deaths from AIDS, 400,000 from malaria. Lower respiratory tract diseases are estimated to cause 3 million deaths annually.

Hasn't Brazil taken the attitude that they'll do nothing? Have you watched their recent statistics - probably the worst anywhere? I'm sure if the conspiracists did a proper comparison using just Brazil (probably the best comparison we have to 1347, although better medical knowledge), that chart would be turned on its head, big time. Just let the 'experts' continue to do their best. In many places, they seem to be getting the problem under control.

Brazil is not the worst anywhere. So far it has 248 deaths per million. The UK has 632 deaths per million. And it looks like Brazil has already peaked.

Yes, I'm a huge critic of Thai Chana..

Yes, Thai Chana is crap but lucky it is not even needed. Thailand and the whole of SE Asia was barely affected by this virus.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Homer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:56 am The reporting of surges in Covid-1984 cases is sorely lacking. Why is there no detailed reporting of these facts?

1. How many of these "new" cases are simply testing positive for antibodies (asymptomatic)?
2. How many of these "new" cases are people actually requiring treatment?
3. How many of these "new" cases consist of hospitalized patients?

Without knowing #2 and #3, the number of new cases is meaningless except as propaganda.
AFIK having antibodies will not give a positive result for COVID infection. The antibody test is entirely different.

Why is it necessary to know if new cases are requiring treatment or hospitalization. Whether asymptomatic or otherwise, an infection is an infection with the ability to spread. Therefore regardless of the severity of a case, contact tracing needs to be done etc etc.

Let's scrap testing which will make the figures come down!!!!!!! As suggested by one great leader.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:42 am Let's scrap testing which will make the figures come down!!!!!!!
Seems to be precisely what Thailand has done... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nice rant.

That chart is percentage of the population. They did take precautions in 1347. They turned ships away from ports (sound familiar?) and anyone who was infected they locked the whole household up for a month and painted a cross on the door. One uninfected person was allowed out to get food.

As for the conspiracists claiming to have predicted this current crisis, so everything else they say must be right............ just look at the above chart. How hard would it have been in 2000 to predict the world would be struck by a huge killer virus in 25 years? I can predict there will be another horrific virus by the year 2100, but I wouldn't put myself on a pedestal claiming because I got that right, everything else that comes out of my mouth is correct. If the conspiracists had got it wrong, they would simply filed away as another nut job.
I don't think any conspiracy theorist needs to predict a pandemic comes along every 20 years or so. Because history shows that it does.
Recent figures estimate 1.5 million annual deaths from tuberculosis, 1.4 million from diarrhoeal diseases, 1 million deaths from AIDS, 400,000 from malaria. Lower respiratory tract diseases are estimated to cause 3 million deaths annually.
Brazil is not the worst anywhere. So far it has 248 deaths per million. The UK has 632 deaths per million. And it looks like Brazil has already peaked.

Yes, I'm a huge critic of Thai Chana..

Yes, Thai Chana is crap but lucky it is not even needed. Thailand and the whole of SE Asia was barely affected by this virus.

[Mod Edit] Quotes added to make it easier to read.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20