USB Type C Connection issue(Smart watch)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Gabe H Coud

USB Type C Connection issue(Smart watch)

Post by Gabe H Coud »

Ive just bought a really cheap smart watch from Lazada. It was so cheap I told myself a dozen times it wouldn't work(and it doesn't!)

Not surprisingly it has no power so I cant turn it on. When I went to plug it into my laptop(USB type C - just like my phone) it makes the usual CONNECT sound but then immediately makes the DISCONNECT sound. And then this repeats over and over until eventually I unplug it.

When I plug into the power(not computer) there's no sound, as expected, but there's no indication that any power is getting to the unit

whilst I will send it back I wondered if anyone had come across the connect/disconnect repeated sound and what it means??? And maybe I can avoid sending back if there a straightforward power issue??

thanks
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: USB Type C Connection issue(Smart watch)

Post by J.J.B. »

From my experience of plugging devices into computers, the connect/disconnect sound you are hearing is the computer recognising that something has been plugged in, initiating the handshake, realising that the device is not going to respond and deactivating the connection. It has nothing to do with powering the device. Sometimes these types of thing come partially charged and sometimes with no charge at all. I’d leave it plugged in to the power outlet overnight and see if you get anything from it in the morning. Cheap or not, I’d be surprised if you were sent a watch-shaped ornament.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

J.J.B. wrote:From my experience of plugging devices into computers, the connect/disconnect sound you are hearing is the computer recognising that something has been plugged in, initiating the handshake, realising that the device is not going to respond and deactivating the connection. It has nothing to do with powering the device. Sometimes these types of thing come partially charged and sometimes with no charge at all. I’d leave it plugged in to the power outlet overnight and see if you get anything from it in the morning. Cheap or not, I’d be surprised if you were sent a watch-shaped ornament.
I did that(overnight charge) and got nothing ie could not turn on.

I specifically asked these clowns (twice) whether it truly was a golf GPS watch for 300 baht and they assured me it was!

When I challenged them a third time it was " oh we have checked with our supplier and it does not support golf!!"

I mean WTAF?!

should've trusted my overriding instincts ie if it seems too good to be true.....

Tjey even had the nerve to label it as though it were the make/model of a leading brand. Absolute disgrace

A watch shaped ornament is precisely what it was.

Thanks anyways

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As you said in your original post, it sounded too good to be true, which is what it turned out to be - annoying, but fortunately you’ve not lost too much as a consequence!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You can report it to Lazada. They wouldn't be the first store to be removed by Lazada for false advertising and defective products.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:You can report it to Lazada. They wouldn't be the first store to be removed by Lazada for false advertising and defective products.
Will do, thanks.

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:As you said in your original post, it sounded too good to be true, which is what it turned out to be - annoying, but fortunately you’ve not lost too much as a consequence!!
At that price I thought that even if the golf function didn't work I would have been reasonably happy as smart watch. No such luck!

If anyone has bought a smart watch and they're pleased with it I'd welcome any suggestions, either online or the markets etc

Cheers

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:
HHTel wrote:You can report it to Lazada. They wouldn't be the first store to be removed by Lazada for false advertising and defective products.
Will do, thanks.

PS after they refund me! Image