Becoming Thai

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: Citizenship

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

buksida wrote:
malcolminthemiddle wrote: Also, regarding land ownership by a Thai married to a foreigner, there is no mandatory retrospective declaration of marriage or mandatory revokation, unless someone knows better?
This maybe the case for land owned before the marriage but if the farang wants to buy land in his wifes name he must sign a number of documents at the land office basically signing away all his legal rights to it and stating that the money used for the purchase wasn't his.

I know - I've done it :banghead:
Buks have a read of gooze's post again.

He was talking about land owned before marriage, hence my reference to retrospective declaration.

Careful you don't hurt yourself banging your head like that.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

2 of my contacts signed same as you Buksi the other 1 says he did not i will try and find out when they all signed or did not and see if its new or old or just typical thai some do and some dont

I mean we the 4 of us could be wrong but there is a certain consistency in what i believed and they did/do
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
buksida

Post by buksida »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Careful you don't hurt yourself banging your head like that.
It already does, I've been far too disruptive on the board today, I think its time I logged off ...

:thumb:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Burger
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai Nationality,

Post by Burger »

buksida wrote:
IMO the whole citizenship thing is a waste of time and money, essentially there isn't a great deal of benefit, I have been eligible for a number of years but can't really see how its going to help me, I'll just become an "alien" with more paperwork.
Isn't the big advantage that you can come and go as you please without the need for visas, 90 day reporting, re-entry permits etc etc.

Surely that's worth having Buks ?

Burger
buksida

Post by buksida »

Burger wrote:
Isn't the big advantage that you can come and go as you please without the need for visas, 90 day reporting, re-entry permits etc etc.

Burger
Not if you end up having to pay a vast amount more for what essentially is a really long visa and something that most people that have lived, worked, paid taxes, married nationals, spawned offspring, and integrated into other countries are entitled to automatically.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

I think one becomes thai when every meal you eat has nam pik something palah (stinky fish) nam pik guppy (stinky shrimps) and actually enjoy it my favorite is nam pik macam mengda nomai the one with cockroaches in it :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

buksida wrote:
Burger wrote:

Burger
Not if you end up having to pay a vast amount more for what essentially is a really long visa and something that most people that have lived, worked, paid taxes, married nationals, spawned offspring, and integrated into other countries are entitled to automatically.
Do you pay every year after receiving it or is it a one-off ? How much ?
Thing is this isn't 'another' country, so it will save you all the visa aggro.

Burger
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

buksida wrote:
malcolminthemiddle wrote: Also, regarding land ownership by a Thai married to a foreigner, there is no mandatory retrospective declaration of marriage or mandatory revokation, unless someone knows better?
This maybe the case for land owned before the marriage but if the farang wants to buy land in his wifes name he must sign a number of documents at the land office basically signing away all his legal rights to it and stating that the money used for the purchase wasn't his.

I know - I've done it :banghead:

:agree: me also
buksida

Post by buksida »

Burger wrote:
Do you pay every year after receiving it or is it a one-off ? How much ?
Thing is this isn't 'another' country, so it will save you all the visa aggro.

Burger
Its a one off but you still have to "report" every year, the application fee is 7,000 baht (non refundable) and the fee for the residency permit (red book) is 192,000 baht. They only issue to 100 nationals from certain countries per year and they can still change the goalposts at any time rendering it about as useful as any other visa "permanent" or otherwise. You still need a work permit and you still can't own land.

Bargain! :shock: :roll: