Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
PeteC

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by PeteC »

How much more depressing is this going to get?! :banghead:

Covid-19 is capable of infecting the brain – Yale study

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/covi ... yale-study

A new paper from a time at Yale University, Connecticut, in the US, says that headaches, confusion and delirium experienced by some Covid-19 patients may be the result of the coronavirus directly invading the brain. The preliminary research offers several some additional evidence to support earlier untested theories about long-term effects on some Covid-19 patients.

The novel coronavirus not only targets the lungs (a situation that is now well documented), but also the kidneys, liver and blood vessels. And brain. About 50% of patients report neurological symptoms suggesting the virus is also attacking the brain.

The study, led by Yale immunologist Akiko Iwasaki, reported that the virus is able to replicate inside the brain, and can starve brain cells of oxygen, though the precise mechanisms or prevalence of the phenomenon is not currently clear.

“If the brain does become infected, it could have a lethal consequence.”

Several peer researchers have already commented that the study, released yesterday, was “careful and elegant”, showing in multiple ways that the virus can infect a patient’s brain cells.

The Chairman of the neurology department at the University of California, San Francisco, S Andrew Josephson, has praised the techniques used for the study, but added that he would “remain cautious” until the paper underwent peer review.

“Understanding whether or not there is direct viral involvement of the brain is extraordinarily important.”

Doctors have previously believed that the neurological impacts seen in about half of all Covid-19 patients could instead be the result of an abnormal immune response that causes inflammation of the brain, part of the “cytokine storm”, rather than the virus invading directly.

The Yale experiments approached the question by infecting lab-grown mini-brains known as “brain organoids”, by infecting mice, and by examining the brain tissues of deceased Covid-19 patients. The team discovered that the SARS-CoV-2 virus is able to infect brain neurons and then “hijack” the neuron cell’s machinery and make copies of itself.

“Infected cells in turn promoted the death of surrounding cells by choking their oxygen supply”, according to the report.

They also performed a spinal tap on a Covid-19 patient suffering from delirium finding the individual had neutralising antibodies against the virus in their spinal fluid. They also examined the brains of 3 patients who died from Covid-19 related complications, finding evidence of the virus in the brains of the patients.

“The infected regions did not show signs of having been infiltrated by immune cells, such as T-cells, which rush to the site of other viruses like Zika or herpes to kill the infected cells.”

The report suggested that this could hint that the overloaded immune response known as cytokine storm which is responsible for much of the damage seen in the lungs of Covid-19 patients, might not be the main cause of neurological symptoms.

Researchers believe that the virus may be getting into the brain through the nose, or through the eyes or even from the bloodstream.

“It’s unclear which route the pathogen is taking, and whether it does so often enough to explain the symptoms seen in people.”

SOURCE: AFP | New York Times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Last night I watched a 2011 movie called Contagion, that was nearly an exact replica of what is happening with Covid-19. The major difference was that a vaccine was quickly developed. However, the ending was chilling.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:32 am Back to Thailand ...
I totally understand this is a Thailand forum and we don't want to clog up the covid news thread with stuff that is irrelevant to many. Not the first time I've been subtly reminded of that. :D

So would it be OK to start an 'International Covid News' thread?

We have a fair few people living abroad on the forum. And most with family abroad. Specifically the UK I'd imagine.

Didn't want to assume, and just start one myself.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

There have already been several attempts to derail this thread with UK/US politics so any future posts on that in this thread will be moved here.

Yes, this is a Thailand forum and this thread is for all Covid news, but we kindly ask to keep international politics out of it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Myanmar increases lockdown measures, airlines suspend services
Myanmar increased lockdown measures in its biggest city on Thursday after reporting another record daily rise in coronavirus cases, with 120 new infections taking its overall cases past the 2,000 mark.

Health authorities expanded a stay-at-home order to nearly half of the townships in greater Yangon, a city of at least 5 million people, where most of the new infections were found.

The country has now reported a total of 2,009 COVID-19 cases and 14 deaths, with infections quadrupling since a month ago, when the virus resurfaced in the western state of Rakhine after weeks without a domestic case.

That prompted authorities to close schools nationwide and re-impose some restrictions that had earlier been eased.

The Government has ordered people not to travel other than in an emergency. Domestic airlines also announced that their services were suspended until the end of September.

Curbs on entry into Yangon and the capital Naypyitaw were also in place.

Authorities said offices, factories and government institutions would remain open in Yangon and workers would be exempt from the order to stay home.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/myanmar-in ... -services/

Pretty close to home ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This is from Friday but it got me thinking.
Akbar Ismatullaev tested positive for the virus at Buriram’s training camp in Bang Bo, Samut Prakan, where they always stay before their matches against teams in the greater Bangkok region. He had been quarantined in Bangkok before going to Buriram.

Dr Yong Poovarawan, one of the country’s top virologists, said at a press conference on Friday that he believes that the footballer caught the virus before arriving in Thailand on August 13.

Ismatullaev arrived in Bangkok and stayed at an alternate state quarantine hotel until he left the ASQ on August 27 and then tested positive later on September 10.

Dr Yong added that even though it is rare, it is possible for a person to tested positive for the virus as the infection period could last up to 28 days.
Although it doesn't say, but I imagine he tested negative before allowing to leave ASQ. That being the case, then it shows that the incubation period for Covid can be longer than the 14 days quarantine required by most countries.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/18199/18199/
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What it shows is more likely the inadequacy of the quarantine system. Somebody is collecting 22K a hit, but what evidence is they're doing anything for their money?

Crazy the guy was allowed to travel from Samut Prakan to Chiang Mai.

Even worse, it seems although Ratchaburi's league fixture was cancelled because of the danger, the quarantine period for the Ratchaburi team was not 14 days. They have been released from quarantine, but will be tested again on Wednesday. They're making it up as they go along.

If any player subsequently tests positive on Wednesday, how many people will he have been in touch with?

There are a lot of things not adding up correctly on this one - transparency seems to have gone out of the window.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Possibly he was already positive when he left quarantine and his last test was a false negative. Just as possible is that he was infected after leaving quarantine.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If he was infected AFTER leaving quarantine, then that's a whole different story. If true then expect more infections.
There doesn't appear any further news on the DJ who was working at different night clubs and restaurants then tested positive as a local infection. That being the case, there should be further infections but to date - nothing.
I believe the main danger is the porous border with Myanmar.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

You are not infectious for more than 10 days. However the PCR testing has been made so sensitive that it will pick up dead virus fragments for up to 78 days and show a positive. Not fit for purpose.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

nil wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 pm You are not infectious for more than 10 days.
Funny, but that is the reasoning given in footballing circles regarding the Ratchaburi football team. Surely, it is the long 14 day incubation period before you become infectious that we are supposed to be guarding against. Or does that only apply when it fits nicely into the grander scheme of things?

Points 48; Position 20
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:
nil wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 pm You are not infectious for more than 10 days.
Funny, but that is the reasoning given in footballing circles regarding the Ratchaburi football team. Surely, it is the long 14 day incubation period before you become infectious that we are supposed to be guarding against. Or does that only apply when it fits nicely into the grander scheme of things?
10 days is enough. I'm currently doing this now according to the rules of my home country. They say that if I haven't become sick in 10 days I don't have Covid 19. If they detect the virus i.e. positive, then it is isolation and a completely different ball game. I think Thailand is overdoing everything. I think they also should allow 10 days "home" quarantine if a person has a proper place to stay. This 0 Corona bullshit is killing people and businesses.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That again is what is being quoted in football circles stating it is the NHS (368,504 infections and 41,628 deaths) standard. I must say I much prefer the Thai standard, and moving to the standards of countries that have got it terribly wrong is not a good way forward.

However, I accept that people will disagree, so will shut up (for now, at least), and say no more about it.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The current official estimate for the incubation period is 2 - 14 days.
However, there have been cases of incubation being 19, 24 and 27 days.

The WHO comment that the longer cases may be the result of a secondary infection.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... on-period/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the flurry of helicopter traffic in the area was associated with border surveillance. The Gov here doesn't always use military marked aircraft as many times they don't have enough operational.

Thai-Myanmar border blocked with barbed wire, security increased due to Covid-19

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... o-covid-19

Prachuap Khiri Khan border patrol say they’ve closed the Thai-Myanmar border, making sure the natural passageways are blocked by barbed wire fences. With Myanmar’s increasing number of Covid-19 cases, border police have drastically increased patrol.

New barbed wire was placed around the natural passageways in the western province to prevent Burmese migrants from crossing into Thailand. The army is controlling all border points in the province including 39 natural passageways between the districts Hua Hin and Bang Saphan Noi.

Police surveillance has also increased in response to the neighbouring country’s rise in coronavirus cases. 18 checkpoints are on 24 hour surveillance and officials are also doing random patrols on the Myanmar side of the border to sneak up from behind.

Although no Covid-19 cases have been detected from Burmese migrants who were caught allegedly crossing the border, Thai officials have been tightening border security to make sure the virus doesn’t enter the country.

Most of the outbreak has been in Myanmar’s Rakhine state, on the country’s west coast, but a Thai health official predicts the outbreak will reach the Thai-Myanmar border soon.

Malaysia also recently closed the Bukit Kayu Hitam border checkpoint, the main southern land border into Thailand, across the border from Sadao in Songkhla. The border is closed until September 25 in an effort to control the spread of the coronavirus.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source